Onkyo Cassette Deck

Sanjay Khanna

Hi,
Can any of our Forum members give me some feedback, comments or advice on the Onkyo RW 255 Deck ? I already have one so I would like to see how you rate it. Nikhil, I believe you have one.Cheers

Hi Sanjay,

It's a decent choice given the paucity of current-production options now (Marantz still has one model going I believe). Onkyo is quite committed to the Indian market with ready availability of spares/ service.

Based on my brief listening sessions in less-than-optimal conditions, the RWA255 (and also the single deck version, forget the model number) is quite smooth and pleasant to listen to. Given the obsolescence of the medium, most people want a decent affordable deck to play their 'legacy' collection and this fits the bill perfectly.

One of my decks is the current-production Marantz and more or less similar to the Onkyo in terms of SQ/ tech specs.

The last Yamahas (out of production but some stock still available) would have provided a marginally better frequency response (top-end frequency extension) and a little more resolution. But only marginally better and not worth the swap.

Cheers
Persiflage

Agree with the remarks above.
I have the Onkyo single cassette player model TA 6211. I preferred it to the dual cassette models bec of better Hi freq extn.
I've had it for about 8-9 yrs now.Its a good player & importantly, Onkyo's service support is available, which is a critical factor. I know several owners of Nakamichi cassette decks whose machines are unusable bec of lack of spares/trained service personnel.

Hi,
Can any of our Forum members give me some feedback, comments or advice on the Onkyo RW 255 Deck ? I already have one so I would like to see how you rate it. Nikhil, I believe you have one.Cheers

Sanjay its a really good piece of equipment in my opinion. The reason I bought mine years ago was for my collection of cassettes. The sound quality was a huge surprise and at one point the sound was better than disc - but getting cassettes are harder these days. As far as cassette players go this one will "open up" your music up for you very nicely.

Hi Sanjay,

It's a decent choice given the paucity of current-production options now (Marantz still has one model going I believe). Onkyo is quite committed to the Indian market with ready availability of spares/ service.

Based on my brief listening sessions in less-than-optimal conditions, the RWA255 (and also the single deck version, forget the model number) is quite smooth and pleasant to listen to. Given the obsolescence of the medium, most people want a decent affordable deck to play their 'legacy' collection and this fits the bill perfectly.

One of my decks is the current-production Marantz and more or less similar to the Onkyo in terms of SQ/ tech specs.

The last Yamahas (out of production but some stock still available) would have provided a marginally better frequency response (top-end frequency extension) and a little more resolution. But only marginally better and not worth the swap.

Cheers
Persiflage

Hi Persiflage,
Thanks a lot for the feedback.As you said, I use it mostly for the Legacy collection, which largely consists of Albums recorded on tape, some of them over 20 years old.I made the choice keeping the availability of spares in mind.Does a fairly decent job,all said and done. The recordings made more recently, mostly from Worldspace,are great to listen to in the car, as they are all pre-edited, and there are no dud songs to spoil the ride !!! Cheers,
Sanjay

Sanjay its a really good piece of equipment in my opinion. The reason I bought mine years ago was for my collection of cassettes. The sound quality was a huge surprise and at one point the sound was better than disc - but getting cassettes are harder these days. As far as cassette players go this one will "open up" your music up for you very nicely.

Hi Nikhil,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, Cassettes are hard to get hold of these days. The sound quality even of my old recordings remains very good on this Deck. I have made recent recordings and you are right - they sound as good as discs and almost impossible to tell apart.Besides, I like recording on my own, so that I can fiddle around with the recording volumes and equaliser settings so that I can get it to sound the way I want. Cheers,
Sanjay

Sanjay,

Agreed. Having said that, we never know what the cassette tape medium is capable of, till we've heard a Nakamichi built in the heyday of the cassette. It's as close as it gets to audiophile grade sound reproduction - 20 Hz-20KHz, soundstage, imaging, the works! This is when you come to know that the medium wasn't flawed, just that people stopped caring about building the right playback equipment (I guess an early incarnation of the convenience vs fidelity theme).

I don't want to be seen as fuelling 'upgraditis' here (God knows we suffer enough from that already) - but I did want to put this on record.

Also: if your car deck has an aux-in, you may want to consider recording Worldspace to mp3, and playing it back through your ipod or something. If you care about the content, then these recordings will endure better.

Regards
Persiflage

we never know what the cassette tape medium is capable of, till we've heard a Nakamichi built in the heyday of the cassette. It's as close as it gets to audiophile grade sound reproduction - 20 Hz-20KHz, soundstage, imaging, the works! This is when you come to know that the medium wasn't flawed, just that people stopped caring about building the right playback equipment (I guess an early incarnation of the convenience vs fidelity theme).

I'll second that opinion. Cassettes of course have a storage issue and thats where the CDs killed the medium. Still if you get good cassettes they are really good on a quality cassette player.

Hi.

First and foremost, sorry for poking my head in this thread with my question.:(

Well, went to Onkyo Chennai today to enquire about tape decks, as I want one very soon. Double deck they are quoting around 25k, but only when you give half amount they will order:eek:

I saw a single deck from Onkyo too, was very small, but didn't like the loading method, price quoted 10k.

So, am planning to bring the double deck from UK. My question to you all is should I get the double deck from UK or just buy the single deck from India.

Is there any SQ difference between them? Thanx.:)

I can't believe they're quoting 25K for an Onkyo deck. Have things changed since I last checked? Don't even think about it! The fair price should be 12K or thereabouts with warranty. For about 14K you should get a Marantz double deck.

In the UK you should have no difficulty finding decks at 100 quid or so.

Single decks generally have better SQ.

I can't believe they're quoting 25K for an Onkyo deck. Have things changed since I last checked? Don't even think about it! The fair price should be 12K or thereabouts with warranty. For about 14K you should get a Marantz double deck.

In the UK you should have no difficulty finding decks at 100 quid or so.

Single decks generally have better SQ.

Hi.

Where to get Marantz double decks in India, any particular dealer, if possible Chennai. thanx.

Hi.

Well, went to Onkyo Chennai today to enquire about tape decks, as I want one very soon. Double deck they are quoting around 25k, but only when you give half amount they will order:eek:

I saw a single deck from Onkyo too, was very small, but didn't like the loading method, price quoted 10k.

So, am planning to bring the double deck from UK. My question to you all is should I get the double deck from UK or just buy the single deck from India.

I think the single deck you are talking about is the K-505TX from their Liverpool range. Its a very good product and you shouldn't have any problems with it. The only reason you need a double deck is for dubbing/copying etc.

Hi.

Hi Vinod,
25K sounds really sky high for an Onkyo Double Deck. The model which is the subject matter of this thread cost me about 13K a couple of years ago ( or thereabouts).Go for this model if you want to do some dubbing.The SQ ,through even an ordinary 2 channel system is pretty good.

Sanjay,

Agreed. Having said that, we never know what the cassette tape medium is capable of, till we've heard a Nakamichi built in the heyday of the cassette. It's as close as it gets to audiophile grade sound reproduction - 20 Hz-20KHz, soundstage, imaging, the works! This is when you come to know that the medium wasn't flawed, just that people stopped caring about building the right playback equipment (I guess an early incarnation of the convenience vs fidelity theme).

I don't want to be seen as fuelling 'upgraditis' here (God knows we suffer enough from that already) - but I did want to put this on record.

Also: if your car deck has an aux-in, you may want to consider recording Worldspace to mp3, and playing it back through your ipod or something. If you care about the content, then these recordings will endure better.

Regards
Persiflage

Hi Persiflage,
Alas, the age of Nakamichis is over. Can't seem to get them for love or money. Having said that, I know a local hick who has an almost brand new virtually unused one, which I'm trying to persuade him to sell to me as he is neither an audiophile nor music freak.I think its a DR 10 (?????) with 3 heads and he has indicated that he might sell it for 12K. Is that a decent price (off the top off your head ?). I have an Aux in for the car player and I do play the I pod through it, which is my only interphase with the digital world.It's a hell of a pain to download individual tracks off Worldspace onto MP3,hence the simple one button solution !!!!!! Cheers and regards,
Sanjay

Hi Sanjay,

The DRs are some of the last Naks produced; so chances of getting one in good condition are relatively higher. Just check out the provenance of the piece in question. E.g., is the 'hick' :) the first owner, where did he buy it from etc.

If satisfied, haggle for 8-10K or whatever you can get; IIRC this was the last known price of NOS Nakamichi DRs at an outlet called The Shop here in Mumbai.

On eBay, a 'mint' Nak will go for about 150-200 US, provided it's not one of the legendary makes (Dragon or CR7). So that's another benchmark for you.

But of course you cannot verify the goods when vuying remotely. So the key considerations are whether it's mint and how desirable/ affordable is this to you. Hope this helps.

As for 'downloading' Worldspace content, did you mean via the data port? I was referring to recording via analog out same as you're doing now; difference being just route signal to a sound card in your PC in place of your tape deck.

Regards
Persiflage

Hi Persiflage,
Alas, the age of Nakamichis is over. Can't seem to get them for love or money. Having said that, I know a local hick who has an almost brand new virtually unused one, which I'm trying to persuade him to sell to me as he is neither an audiophile nor music freak.I think its a DR 10 (?????) with 3 heads and he has indicated that he might sell it for 12K. Is that a decent price (off the top off your head ?). I have an Aux in for the car player and I do play the I pod through it, which is my only interphase with the digital world.It's a hell of a pain to download individual tracks off Worldspace onto MP3,hence the simple one button solution !!!!!! Cheers and regards,
Sanjay

Hi Sanjay,
Just grab it!!!!!!!!!!10/12K what does it matter. I would say offer him a bit more and pocket the deck. It is way better than the usual suspects around. The deck (although low down in the Nak chain) is well built and the heads will last for ages. Just hear it properly and listen carefully for any 'hum' particularly when u switch to 'source'. If all is OK with the unit U will be amazed with the recording quality on any half decent chromes.(TDK SA/SAX or Maxell XL II)
The last MRP was 68K and "The shop" tried to sell the last two units of DR 10 at 30K. I had offered 20K and he finally came around but by then i got a brand new boxed unit from UK so turned him down.
Regards

Haha! I was trying to preserve some sanity around here, but there you have it, heart wins out over head - again! :)

TIme to come clean - for the record, I would have paid much more if the goods were worthy. After all, it is the Rolls Royce of tape decks.

Good luck, and keep us updated on how it goes..

Dinyaar, I was told the last piece did go for 10K (most likely a 'hick' bought it after you turned it down).

Hahaha.

Persi the guy claimed the decks were brand new. Only demoed in store. But that did not seem the case so when he quoted 30K i just laughed it off. Plus the fact that i went all the way there to audition a Rotel RC 1070 pre. I still offered him 20K and the guy refused. In fact if i remember correct he offered me the DR 8 for about that amount.
Actually the time i mentioned "The Shop" to you was over a year after that incident so my guess is the man finally dropped down to 10K in sheer frustration on his inability to sell!
Well two of my friends and moi own the DR 10 and we are all satisfied. Problem with me now is that i mainly listen to my cds and tapes almost never so the deck is just a piece of unused gear sadly.

Sanjay these decks are hard to come by and some guy may just pip u for a few bucks more. Hence i suggested that u tempt the guy and grab it. Maybe Venkat will be at the 'hicks' door with cash in hand!!!!!!!! He really wants a Nak on his rack for whatever reason. Hahaha. Venky make me an offer i cant refuse and the( limited gold edition )beautiful DR 10 can be yours!!!!!!!!
Regards

Maybe Venkat will be at the 'hicks' door with cash in hand!!!!!!!! He really wants a Nak on his rack for whatever reason. Hahaha. Venky make me an offer i cant refuse and the( limited gold edition )beautiful DR 10 can be yours!!!!!!!!
Regards

Anytime. Just name a reasonable price, Dinyaar. I will pick it up. Nakamichi's are collectors items.

I have located a recording shop in Chennai who has a Nakamichi. I plan to visit him after I return from Coimbatore, and grab his piece. I saw a couple of pieces in Ritchie Street. Unfortunately my face is too open. The shopkeeper saw the glint in my eyes, and tripled his price. As I mentioned before I plan to go there again with unshaven face, and torn clothes. What all one has to do to get what he wants !!!!!!

Cheers

Lucky you, boxed DR10 and that!

I have a Cassette Deck 1.5 (ever wonder about the model naming conventions? Could only be thought up by the Japanese). Bought it off a friend in Iowa, with less than 50 hours on it.

Had problems with the pinch roller and belt (rubber tends to crack up in extreme cold conditions). Post-fix, plays a treat.

Nak heads seldom give out even over 20 years, unless put to extreme abuse.

BTW a couple of unrelated queries; anyone know:

- where to get a demagnetizer? In India I mean?
- place that will clean LP records cheaply using those wet vacuum thingies?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back