Onkyo HT s3400 Owner's thread

Thanks 007.

I don't have a HDMI cable yet. Couple more questions
1. Currrently the Audio cables (i guess the red and while ones )are conencted diretly to the TV from the setup box. THe set up box is a local one and hence i guess will be analog only.

In the Onkyo Box (rear side), there is a section called the "component". Should i connect the setup box - wire to this and then another from "TV" (in Onkyo) to my TV.

Please help. The audio in onkyo is so good that i cannot resist connecting my TV with it.

Thanks 007 for quick response. Speaker are from Onkyo along with HT-S3400 HTIB. So i have 5 speakers, front left, right and center are placed on TV cabinet but for surround speakers(wired) I have to hang to wall beside the couch, so I'm thinking of buying clips that stick to wall, but i'm not sure if that is the best way, so just checking with this forum guys how they placed their surround speakers.

Thanks 007.

1. Currrently the Audio cables (i guess the red and while ones )are conencted diretly to the TV from the setup box. THe set up box is a local one and hence i guess will be analog only.

In the Onkyo Box (rear side), there is a section called the "component". Should i connect the setup box - wire to this and then another from "TV" (in Onkyo) to my TV.

Please help. The audio in onkyo is so good that i cannot resist connecting my TV with it.

Sorry, Your post is not clear to me, let me explain with some assumptions. please let me know your TV model no. From the web I came to know your AVR model is HTR-390. Correct me if I'm wrong. These details are required to find the best possible combination. Always HDMI cable will deliver the best than the rest. Since your STB, doesn't have HDMI, let me know if it has component video output which is labelled something like Y,pb,pr which is analog but has a better video quality than the normal 3 plug RCA where audio Left & right and Video(yellow) are the channels.

In your case, the AVR & TV might permit use of component video where as the set top box might not. I would suggest you to do the following, connect every equipment like Set top box, DVD player, game station to AVR and connect a HDMI cable from AVR(HDMI out) to TV.

this is how a component video out socket look like, you can see the same from rear side of TV or TV manual.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...video_jack.jpg/220px-Component_video_jack.jpg

go to a radio shop/Sp.road market to get a pair of HDMI cables(version 1.3) of different lengths & 2 pairs of RCA 3pin cables. This will be always helpful. Did you checked the electrical supply of your house, it should be stable, check it with a multimeter at different timings, evening will of more load.

Thanks Again. Sorry for not being clear.
My TV is a Samsung LED - D5900.

Yes, on the rear of the setup box has the Y,pb,pr - which is connected to the TV currently.
Should i conenct these to the "Component Video" or the 'Video/Audi" part of the AVR? see attached picture of the rear of the AVR.

I shall try the option of conencting all to the AVR and then from AVR to TV via HDMI cable (which i am planning to get)

Anil

Attachments

• onkyo 3400 rear.jpg
    onkyo 3400 rear.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 268
Thanks 007.

Connect the Red & White cable from the STB to "TV/CD" IN at the back of HT-S3400.

Thanks Again. Sorry for not being clear.
My TV is a Samsung LED - D5900.

Yes, on the rear of the setup box has the Y,pb,pr - which is connected to the TV currently.
Should i conenct these to the "Component Video" or the 'Video/Audi" part of the AVR? see attached picture of the rear of the AVR.

I shall try the option of conencting all to the AVR and then from AVR to TV via HDMI cable (which i am planning to get)

Anil

hey, no aplogies please. Lets not be too formal.
I have gone through the TV specs from samsung website, I guess, You have 2 options

1) If you have more sources to connect like STB, DVD player and play station, then connect everything to AVR and give the output to TV(you can also connect the component video output from STB to component video IN of the AVR and audio (left & right) from TV to the AVR CAB/SAT audio IN using RCA cable). Finally connect the audio out from the TV to Audio TV IN of the AVR, so that any source like USB and ethernet which is directly connected to the TV will output the audio to the AVR. This option requires AVR to be switched ON always. No non-HDMI sources can pass signal to TV when AVR is in standby mode(Even if HDMI passthrough is enabled).

The above option has a risk where if any of the sources has got a short circuit or lightning effect, it may damage the AVR. Check this point with the service center about interconnecting different sources. This is independant from electrical fluctuation.

2) You can keep the existing setup and connect the audio out of the TV to AVR. You can switch ON the AVR when ever you want the sound to be available in 5.1format.

I read the specs of the TV from samsung website and the manual is available in the following link http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201104/20110415161020929/UX5DVBAS1A-ENG-1013.pdf

The AVR doesn't have USB or Ethernet connection which restricts you from using any USB based devices like Ipod, camcorder, portable harddrive, memory stick, connecting your laptop or internet router to TV. Also the AVR doesn't support video upconversion feature.

But the above limitations can be over come with the TV which has got the ethernet and USB. Only video upconversion is not available.

Some tips:
Make sure your AVR cabling to speakers are of good quality. I have used 14 gauge wire for front and for the rest 16gauge, complete the wiring for frontB speakers too. Subwoofer can be placed to the corner of the room leaving 0.5feet from the wall. The cross over for all channels except sub can be set to 80hz and 120hz for sub. DB for all except surrounds can be set to 0, for surrounds it can be +2 or +3. Try to understand all sound and movie modes while playing a movie trailer from a original DVD. keep the TV volume low and check the speakers.

Imp: your AVR should be ventilated adequately which is very very important.

Last edited:
Anil,

You rather not do that coz the local cable guys send out mono audio mostly even though claim its stereo n stuff.. Go for a HD set top box that can give the better audio..
if you connect the local set top box to the receiver you'll get a rather disappointing sound..

Thanks 007.

Make sure your AVR cabling to speakers are of good quality. I have used 14 gauge wire for front and for the rest 16gauge, complete the wiring for frontB speakers too.

I think the speaker cable gauge should be other way round. Fronts being closer can have thinner cable (higher gauge) and rear being far in terms of cabling should have thicker cables (lower gauge).

hey, no aplogies please. Lets not be too formal.
I have gone through the TV specs from samsung website, I guess, You have 2 options

1) If you have more sources to connect like STB, DVD player and play station, then connect everything to AVR and give the output to TV(you can also connect the component video output from STB to component video IN of the AVR and audio (left & right) from TV to the AVR CAB/SAT audio IN using RCA cable). Finally connect the audio out from the TV to Audio TV IN of the AVR, so that any source like USB and ethernet which is directly connected to the TV will output the audio to the AVR. This option requires AVR to be switched ON always. No non-HDMI sources can pass signal to TV when AVR is in standby mode(Even if HDMI passthrough is enabled).

The above option has a risk where if any of the sources has got a short circuit or lightning effect, it may damage the AVR. Check this point with the service center about interconnecting different sources. This is independant from electrical fluctuation.

2) You can keep the existing setup and connect the audio out of the TV to AVR. You can switch ON the AVR when ever you want the sound to be available in 5.1format.

I read the specs of the TV from samsung website and the manual is available in the following link http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201104/20110415161020929/UX5DVBAS1A-ENG-1013.pdf

Thanks on this one mate.. A couple of queries on my side..

If I connect the optical audio out of my tv ( LG LE425300) to the optical audio in of this AVR , which mode will I have to choose in the AVR to get that sound ?

Will there be any loss in quality ?? For example , if I am playing movies through the USB drive of my tv , will I get sound output from my HT speakers ?
The AVR doesn't have USB or Ethernet connection which restricts you from using any USB based devices like Ipod, camcorder, portable harddrive, memory stick, connecting your laptop or internet router to TV. Also the AVR doesn't support video upconversion feature.

But the above limitations can be over come with the TV which has got the ethernet and USB. Only video upconversion is not available.

Some tips:
Make sure your AVR cabling to speakers are of good quality. I have used 14 gauge wire for front and for the rest 16gauge, complete the wiring for frontB speakers too. Subwoofer can be placed to the corner of the room leaving 0.5feet from the wall. The cross over for all channels except sub can be set to 80hz and 120hz for sub. DB for all except surrounds can be set to 0, for surrounds it can be +2 or +3. Try to understand all sound and movie modes while playing a movie trailer from a original DVD. keep the TV volume low and check the speakers.

Imp: your AVR should be ventilated adequately which is very very important.

Sorry for being a total noob..

But can someone tell me how to get the various listening modes ? I am trying to play an audio cd from my laptop connected via HDMI port to the AVR.. I am not able to get the various modes like Neo....

Couple of questions, seek experts advice:

My friend who's going to come back from US was asking me my opinion regarding HTS3400 and I gave a thumbs up. I haven't auditioned it, but seeing the specs and loads of positive opinions here in this Forum, I believe its really VFM.

Coming to my question, 3400 comes with a passive sub and I couldn't see any sub pre-out for it. If we want to upgrade to a powered sub, will it be possible?
If we want to connect a full-range bookshelf to Speaker B terminals, will they be fed with a full range signal by the receiver, or the signals below 80Hz be filtered out as the stock speakers are small ones(The stock speaker spec says its 80Hz to 120KHz)

Another one common to AVRs: do we get a better picture if we send the signal from our DVD/STB thru AVR, or it will just act as a switching device for the different sources connected to it?

C
Coming to my question, 3400 comes with a passive sub and I couldn't see any sub pre-out for it. If we want to upgrade to a powered sub, will it be possible?

Simply No.

If we want to connect a full-range bookshelf to Speaker B terminals, will they be fed with a full range signal by the receiver, or the signals below 80Hz be filtered out as the stock speakers are small ones(The stock speaker spec says its 80Hz to 120KHz)

You can connect good bookshelf speakers and it will defenitely enhance the SQ. The frequency range specified is for the speaker, not AVR.

Another one common to AVRs: do we get a better picture if we send the signal from our DVD/STB thru AVR, or it will just act as a switching device for the different sources connected to it?

You need AVRs with upscaling feature for this. Onkyo 3400 has no upscale option.

As an alternative strategy one can look at onkyo reciever NR 609, In India it is available for around 50k where as in US it is available for 20k or less, get that from US it fulfills your requirements (passive woofer and upscaling). Speakers can be bought in India if carrying them from US is a problem.

Could someone help me in connecting the 3400 to my Samsung C650?

I have Tatasky HD+ and my connection is like this

STB HDMI -----> HDMI of AVR

AVR HDMI Out --------> TV HDMI

While watching the HD channels, everything is fine. I don't want to switch on the AVR while watching SD channels as anyway they don't give 5.1. So without disturbung the setup, will I be able to switch between TV speakers and external??

my TV has Optical connection.

Connecting the optical to the AVR will help in this case?? In this case, I will connect the HDMI of STB directly to TV and get the sound via optical cable through receiver..
Any help appreciated.

one more thing, How much does a optical cable costs and where do i get it in Bangalore?

While watching the HD channels, everything is fine. I don't want to switch on the AVR while watching SD channels as anyway they don't give 5.1. So without disturbung the setup, will I be able to switch between TV speakers and external??

Connecting the optical to the AVR will help in this case?? In this case, I will connect the HDMI of STB directly to TV and get the sound via optical cable through receiver..
Any help appreciated.

one more thing, How much does a optical cable costs and where do i get it in Bangalore?

Not sure if this will work though I also want a similar setup... If I am not wrong you plan to switch off the AVR when listening to SD channels but then since the optical cable would be plugged into the TV optical out , I dont think any sound will come.

Further more I am also curious to know which mode to select in the AVR to get the sound coming into the AVR from optical port.

Any help appreciated.

Does the receiver have HDMI through function? In that case you can connect via AVR and when AVR is switched off audio should be passed to TV.

Option 1. Someone in this thread commented that AVR of 3400 does passthrough on standby. So, you would be able to passthrough STB signal to TV without switching on the receiver.

2. If Option 1. fails and your tv has Audio Return Channel(ARC), then connect STB->TV->AVR. You will be able send STB audio through HDMI to AVR by ARC whwnevr required, while on SD channels you will get audio through TV.

Option 3. If Option 1 & 2 don't work out, Connect STB via HDMI to TV. Connect TV via optical to AVR. Done.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back