Onkyo HT s3400 Owner's thread

Thanks Yogesh for the valuable inputs. Has anyone done this kind of setup using 3400?
If so please share the details !!

I am not sure my TV supports ARC or not? I have Samsung C650 model. I need to check out in the net.

On my TV one of the HDMI port is labelled differently. I don't remember I can check it today and let you know. I wagely remember that it is written as HDMI/DVI something like that

Do you think this port supports ARC??

On my TV one of the HDMI port is labelled differently. I don't remember I can check it today and let you know. I wagely remember that it is written as HDMI/DVI something like that

Do you think this port supports ARC??

It would be written as hdmi x on one side and ARC on other.

Other way to check is, In menu of tv go to sound submenu. There will be a arc option in audio out/ tv audio parameter along with optical out, tv speaker and all.

Sent from my GT-I5801 using Tapatalk

I have few queries on the setup

1. If I connect the STB HDMI to TV directly and optical connection from TV to AVR, will I get original 5.1 or surround 5.1? Assume that the content in the TV has 5.1 audio

2. How do I know that whatever I am getting is 5.1? I was playing Avatar movie from the recorded Tatasky STB, the receiver shows as "D" in the display. When I check the speakers, I am getting sound from all the speakers..

3. Shall I assume blindly that the Audio is 5.1 if at all I am getting sound from all the speakers??

4. What is Neo:6 sometimes receiver displays this.

I know people would have already tried so any expert advice would be appreciated..

1. If I connect the STB HDMI to TV directly and optical connection from TV to AVR, will I get original 5.1 or surround 5.1? Assume that the content in the TV has 5.1 audio

You should. But it is better to connect the HDMI or optical out of the STB to the AVR directly.

2. How do I know that whatever I am getting is 5.1? I was playing Avatar movie from the recorded Tatasky STB, the receiver shows as "D" in the display. When I check the speakers, I am getting sound from all the speakers..

If it shows Dolby Digital symbol, then the audio is Dolby 5.1. There should be options to display audio information in your AVR (My denon avr has).

3. Shall I assume blindly that the Audio is 5.1 if at all I am getting sound from all the speakers??

No. Stereo sounds will be converted to virtual 5.1 using dolby prologic, dts neto:6 etc.

4. What is Neo:6 sometimes receiver displays this.

Explained in 3.

I know people would have already tried so any expert advice would be appreciated..

The simple way to find out with Onkyo 3400 is to press the display button on top right hand corner, twice, onkyo display would show you "Doloby D 5.1 or whatever audio it is playing (presuming that your sound is dolby digital)

Thanks for the inputs . I will check that again to see if I am getting Dolby Digital.

Yesterday I tested HDMI passthrough and it works perfectly. If the receiver is in standby mode the video and audio comes from TV and as soon as I switched on the AVR, the sound comes to all the speakers and TV sound goes on mute.

I need to check the optical option now.
I have a doubt that in HDMI passthrough , the video is slightly deteriorated. May be this is my perception but I will check again and let you people know.

Hi Friends,

Can someone help answering my question(s) below?

Before I got the Onkyo 3400 my set is Tata SKY+ --> Samsung 7 series TV using HDMI cable(V1.3b) and composite cable (YWR --> TV single input).

When I got the Onkyo 3400, installation guy changed HDMI cable to new 1.4a one and left the composite cable connected between tv and Tata SKy box. So the set up is TATA SKY+ HDMI --> AVR, AVR --> TV and TATA SKy+ composite cable to TV. With this set up everything worked fine, HD channels play in dts and normal channels(say gemini) play through speakers.

After a few days I removed the composite cable between TATA sky box and TV as I dont see what the function when HDMI is there.

So here is my current set up: TataSKY HD+ --> AVR, AVR --> Samsung 7 series TV(with ARC option). I'm using all HDMI cables version 1.4a, so should support ARC function. Now the issue is when I'm watching normal channels (say gemini) there are two sounds one from TV and one from speakers. I've to reduce the volume of AVR to min or put it in standby mode. If I reduce the volume on Tata SKY box then i'm not getting any sound from TV or speaker.

Anyone know what is the purpose of composite cable when HDMI is there?

Anyone know what is the purpose of composite cable when HDMI is there?
You are right. There is no purpose of the composite cable when its connected via HDMI.
When you don't want audio from AVR, just put it in standby.

Thanks for quick reply. How to get the sound on speakers while watching non-hd channels(it is actually not required but just in case)? with the set up I mentioned I'm getting two sounds one from TV and other from Speakers.

Thanks for quick reply. How to get the sound on speakers while watching non-hd channels(it is actually not required but just in case)? with the set up I mentioned I'm getting two sounds one from TV and other from Speakers.

When sound is output from AVR, TV sound shoud stop. Even if you try to increase volume in TV AVR volume should be increased (if you have enabled HDMI CEC settings or something based on that on the TV and the AVR - for onkyo its called RIHD).
The fact that the TV is still producing sound is something that the settings in TV should fix. I am saying TV because I am also having a Onkyo and it has no settings to this extent.

I have tested the option 3 which is connection the optical cable from STB and it works just fine.

My setup is like this:

TataSky HD+ HDMI -------> TV HDMI port
Tatasky HD+ Optical ----------> AVR Optical

With this you don't need to put the AVR in Standby mode when u are watching non-HD Channels.

Only for HD channels switch on AVR otherwise dont. This way I dont need to power on AVR whenever I watch TV.

Raj, for your question , Since RHID is set to on in 3400, AVR sound is controlled from the TV remote and vice versa.

If you dont want sound from TV in AVR setup, just mute the sound or reduce it to zero.

I have tested the option 3 which is connection the optical cable from STB and it works just fine.

My setup is like this:

TataSky HD+ HDMI -------> TV HDMI port

With this you don't need to put the AVR in Standby mode when u are watching non-HD Channels.

Only for HD channels switch on AVR otherwise dont. This way I dont need to power on AVR whenever I watch TV.

Raj, for your question , Since RHID is set to on in 3400, AVR sound is controlled from the TV remote and vice versa.

If you dont want sound from TV in AVR setup, just mute the sound or reduce it to zero.

Agree with you here. This is the better way to deal with AVR connectivity. I too have done same thing except for

I have done following thing:
TV Optical ----------> AVR Optical

This way I can utilize the AVR for STB and also the media player which is in-built in my TV.

Agree with you here. This is the better way to deal with AVR connectivity. I too have done same thing except for

I have done following thing:
TV Optical ----------> AVR Optical

This way I can utilize the AVR for STB and also the media player which is in-built in my TV.

Hi Sharp_Shooter,
Infact I have tried the same way as your setup. connected the TV Optical to AVR Optical thinking that I can use the TV itself as the media player as my TV supports playing video files.
But even if I give the content of 5.1 to the TV, TV Optical is simply giving 2.1 out to the receiver. So receiver shows Neo6:Cinema. Sound was not so impressive in this method.

I just tried only the Tatasky with this method. I need to try different source and test some more scenarios.

Any help how do i get the 5.1 from TV Optical??

Hi Sharp_Shooter,
Infact I have tried the same way as your setup. connected the TV Optical to AVR Optical thinking that I can use the TV itself as the media player as my TV supports playing video files.
But even if I give the content of 5.1 to the TV, TV Optical is simply giving 2.1 out to the receiver. So receiver shows Neo6:Cinema. Sound was not so impressive in this method.

I just tried only the Tatasky with this method. I need to try different source and test some more scenarios.

Any help how do i get the 5.1 from TV Optical??

I think this is because of the source. Are you sure your source is 5.1? Because I get Dolby Digital on the AVR when playing HD media through TV and get PLII if it is Airtel HD.

Hi Friends,

To connect the Onkyo 3400 AVR to my surround satellite speakers, the speaker wire which comes in the box is not sufficient, as the distance is coming to around 10-12 mtrs. Can someone please suggest me which speaker wires should I purchase for this ?

Thanks in advance...

hi
finally i decided to go for an onkyo 3400. but all these technical terms are confusing. i wanna know whether this can play a 3D disc. whether i have to buy a 3D READY HDMI CABLE to view 3d movie? what is difference between 3D READY PLAYER and 3D BLU-RAY PLAYER, and whether this onkyo model is 3d ready OR 3D? please help me to solve my confusions

You can buy 0.8 sq mm speakers wire from any electronics shop ans use that. I had the same issue of length and purchased around 27 mts of wire for both the surround speakers.

This would cost around 50-60 per meter length.

Also they have 1, 1.5 , 2.5 sq mm but for 3400 0.8 is enough

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back