Onkyo HT s3400 Owner's thread

Hey Jayan007,
This is very good information indeed. I was thinking that this option is permanently disabled in my TV as you have series 7 if I remember correctly. I have series 6 C650.

I hvaen't tried it. I will try it today or tomorrow and let you know the results.
Since TV USB supports all media formats , this way I can avoid buying media player.

Hi,

Did you check?....

I forgot to mention this the other day, in my TV also, the Dolby Digital option was greyed out initially. But after connecting the optical cable to the AVR and change the settings to configure the OPT1 or OPT2 to take input from TV and finally playing a movie with dolby digital audio from my hard disk, the Dolby Digital option in TV's menu got enabled automatically...

You may also try this and see if it works...

Thanks

Hi Jayan007

I have tried your suggestion but it didnt seem to come right...my PS51d550 has a optical going into the STR-DG510 receiver and I can only get pcm from any device i.e ps3, xbox360 and WD Media player the dolby option on the PS51d550 remains greyed out? any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Hello Jayan007,
I am able to successfully get the 5.1 through Optical out of TV in my receiver. My connection is as follows..

TV USB --------2TB HDD
TV Optical ----------- Optical of Onkyo 3400

While the movie is playing, I need to select TOOLS---->Sound Setting------> SPDIF Output
I can change it by pressing left/right arrows in remote. I was able to get the Dolby Digital and DTS outputs based on the content.
Since my TV supports all kinds of formats (except .flv and .iso), Now I don't see media player as a immediate requirement.

Hello Hairbo,
Can you just try playing from HDD. I remember I have tried connecting STB/PS3 earlier but I could not get 5.1.

Thanks again Jayan007 for the help. I appreciate

Hello Jayan007,
I am able to successfully get the 5.1 through Optical out of TV in my receiver. My connection is as follows..

TV USB --------2TB HDD
TV Optical ----------- Optical of Onkyo 3400

While the movie is playing, I need to select TOOLS---->Sound Setting------> SPDIF Output
I can change it by pressing left/right arrows in remote. I was able to get the Dolby Digital and DTS outputs based on the content.
Since my TV supports all kinds of formats (except .flv and .iso), Now I don't see media player as a immediate requirement.

Hello Hairbo,
Can you just try playing from HDD. I remember I have tried connecting STB/PS3 earlier but I could not get 5.1.

Thanks again Jayan007 for the help. I appreciate

sgajjala...
No problem, you are welcome ...Nice to know that it is working....

Hairbo...
I'm not sure about Xbox and PS3, as I have not tried them, but with HDD connected to your TV USB port, it should give you 5.1 Dolby Digital output...

Thanks

Hello friends I am new to this audio set up. I have few doubts. Please help me.
I have Sony EX 520 tv, Airtel HD STB. Now i am planning to buy Onkyo 3400 and a Bluray player.

Today i visited Onkyo shop in Jayanagar Blr (shop name i forgot, the one mentioned many times in this forum). 3400 was out of stock. The sales guy there mentioned that 3400 doesn't have Optical Audio only coaxial. but when i checked the technical details, its mentioned 2 Optical Audio input. Is this right?

Plz correct me wrong if my assumptions below are wrong.
1. Connect Airtel HD STB to TV using HDMI cable (for Video)
2. Connect Airtel HD STB to AVR using Optical Input (5.1 Audio)
3. Connect Blu ray player to TV using HDMI cable
4. Connect Bluray player to AVR uisng Optical input (as 3400 has got 2 optical audio input)

Please let me know my set up is correct

I am brand new to using a receiver/speakers setup. My front left speaker is not working and I have no idea why. I have a digital optic cord running from my tv to the reviver. 1 HDMI from my tv to the receiver (hdmi out port). This is my 2nd unit that is doing this very same issue. I returned the first one because I thought it was something wrong with the receiver, but it's doing it again with the 2nd so I think it's something I'm doing wrong. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Guys,

I've a question on using TV USB and Onkyo 3400 to play music/movies. My current settings are

Samsung BD -->Receiver through 1.4HDMI, Tata SKY --> Receiver through 1.4HDMI and Receiver --> TV through 1.4 HDMI

I'm able to watch movies in 5.1 from BD player(If I connect Hard Drive to BD player then I'm getting 5.1 from receiver too) and Tata SKY(HD channels). but if I connect Hard Disk to Samsung 7 series TV then I'm not getting any sound from Onkyo 3400. HDMI 1.4 has ARC function so I'm expecting TV sound from Onkyo 3400. I've tried all options including TV/CD but no luck. Do I need to use any extra cable for this to work?

Thanks
Raj

HDMI 1.4 has ARC function so I'm expecting TV sound from Onkyo 3400. I've tried all options including TV/CD but no luck. Do I need to use any extra cable for this to work?
Not all the HDMI ports on a TV are ARC enabled. You will have to figure out from the manual which is the one. Sometimes "ARC" it written on the particular HDMI port. Just figure out which one is it.
After that you will have to enable ARC from TV settings as well as HT-S3400 settings.

I am brand new to using a receiver/speakers setup. My front left speaker is not working and I have no idea why. I have a digital optic cord running from my tv to the reviver. 1 HDMI from my tv to the receiver (hdmi out port). This is my 2nd unit that is doing this very same issue. I returned the first one because I thought it was something wrong with the receiver, but it's doing it again with the 2nd so I think it's something I'm doing wrong. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
First reset the receiver.

"To reset the AV receiver to its factory defaults, turn it on and, while holding down VCR/DVR, press ON/STANDBY. Clear will appear on the display and
the AV receiver will enter Standby mode."

Then check if your receiver is ok.
On remote press "Setup" and then scroll to "Level Cal". You will hear test tone/hiss sound from one of the speakers (which will be shown on the front display). Press the up/down arrow keys to loop through all the six speakers. If you hear the test noise from all the speakers, your receiver is ok.
If not report here again.

Thanks Ontherocks for quick response.
My TV has ARC specific HDMI port and I remember I connected that HDMI port and receiver with HDMI cable(I'll double check). I think I need to check TV manual to see what should i change on TV for ARC, my TV is Samsung 7 series(model UA40C7000WR).

First reset the receiver.

"To reset the AV receiver to its factory defaults, turn it on and, while holding down VCR/DVR, press ON/STANDBY. Clear will appear on the display and
the AV receiver will enter Standby mode."

Then check if your receiver is ok.
On remote press "Setup" and then scroll to "Level Cal". You will hear test tone/hiss sound from one of the speakers (which will be shown on the front display). Press the up/down arrow keys to loop through all the six speakers. If you hear the test noise from all the speakers, your receiver is ok.
If not report here again.

That seemed to do the trick. Thanks for the help, much appreciated! :clapping:

I am having trouble getting any volume out of my center speaker. I have put in new cable wire to all my cables (RCA 16 gauge) and all of them work except the middle speaker. I tried to reset my receiver and every speaker worked except for my center speaker. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? The speaker worked only a few days ago and now seems to have gone out.

I am having trouble getting any volume out of my center speaker. I have put in new cable wire to all my cables (RCA 16 gauge) and all of them work except the middle speaker. I tried to reset my receiver and every speaker worked except for my center speaker. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? The speaker worked only a few days ago and now seems to have gone out.
If other speakers are working, connect say left speaker to the center channel and the center speaker to left channel.
If left speaker works on the center channel but center speaker doesn't work on the left channel, then your receiver is fine and center speaker has gone kaput.
If left speaker doesn't work on the center channel, but center speaker works on the left channel, then your receiver's center channel has gone kaput.
If both the speakers don't work, then both, the receiver's center channel and center speaker have gone kaput.

Hello friends I am new to this audio set up. I have few doubts. Please help me.
I have Sony EX 520 tv, Airtel HD STB. Now i am planning to buy Onkyo 3400 and a Bluray player.

Today i visited Onkyo shop in Jayanagar Blr (shop name i forgot, the one mentioned many times in this forum). 3400 was out of stock. The sales guy there mentioned that 3400 doesn't have Optical Audio only coaxial. but when i checked the technical details, its mentioned 2 Optical Audio input. Is this right?

Plz correct me wrong if my assumptions below are wrong.
1. Connect Airtel HD STB to TV using HDMI cable (for Video)
2. Connect Airtel HD STB to AVR using Optical Input (5.1 Audio)
3. Connect Blu ray player to TV using HDMI cable
4. Connect Bluray player to AVR uisng Optical input (as 3400 has got 2 optical audio input)

Please let me know my set up is correct
--------
Hi,
Im having ONKYO HTS-3300 since one year. I have connected Xtreamer & TATA SKY HD to AVR by separate HDMI cables. AVR receiver out goes to my SAMSUNG LED by HDMI cable. No audio cable is required. Im getting perfect sound.
In your case, you have to connect AIRTEL HD & BLU-RAY player to AVR. Then connect AVR out to your sony TV by HDMI (1.4 recommended). There is no audio cable required.

--------
Hi,
Im having ONKYO HTS-3300 since one year. I have connected Xtreamer & TATA SKY HD to AVR by separate HDMI cables. AVR receiver out goes to my SAMSUNG LED by HDMI cable. No audio cable is required. Im getting perfect sound.
In your case, you have to connect AIRTEL HD & BLU-RAY player to AVR. Then connect AVR out to your sony TV by HDMI (1.4 recommended). There is no audio cable required.

thanks Sudhir
But Airtel STB doesn't give 5.1 through HDMI :sad: 5.1 will only work through optical out.

If other speakers are working, connect say left speaker to the center channel and the center speaker to left channel.
If left speaker works on the center channel but center speaker doesn't work on the left channel, then your receiver is fine and center speaker has gone kaput.
If left speaker doesn't work on the center channel, but center speaker works on the left channel, then your receiver's center channel has gone kaput.
If both the speakers don't work, then both, the receiver's center channel and center speaker have gone kaput.

Thanks for the help. Will try this when I get home.
1.) What are your suggestions if the center speaker won't work when I try this?
2.) Can I connect a new speaker to this system and it will work?
3.) Any suggestions on to what speaker I should purchase for that?
Thanks!

I was also noticing that when I switch the different listening modes (All Channel, Direct, Mono etc.) some of the modes volume were getting soft then back to normal then go soft again. Any idea why this is happening? Kind of upsetting after being pleased with this system for 2-3 months all of a sudden it is acting up.

thanks Sudhir
But Airtel STB doesn't give 5.1 through HDMI :sad: 5.1 will only work through optical out.
-----------

Hi,

I was thinking like you only initially. But 5.1 sound (audio return) works through HDMI cable! Onkyo receiver will detect 5.1 sound from Airtel HD & you will get (or you must get) 5.1 sound out. Just give try & run any HD chanel. I think you will get 5.1 sound out of the system.

Thanks,

-----------

Hi,

I was thinking like you only initially. But 5.1 sound (audio return) works through HDMI cable! Onkyo receiver will detect 5.1 sound from Airtel HD & you will get (or you must get) 5.1 sound out. Just give try & run any HD chanel. I think you will get 5.1 sound out of the system.

Thanks,

Just a note, make sure that the HDMI cable is 1.4 for Audio return channel.

Hi,
I have connected Paradigm Titan Monitors to ONKYO receiver HT-R380 (ONKYO HT S-3300) to speakers position B. The sound great! No problem ever since last two days!
Note that for these bookshelf speakers I have separate integrated amplifier DENON PMA 510AE. The sound out of this setup is better than ONKYO receiver.
Incidentally I run videos with 5.1 dts sound through Xtreamer. The sound out of Paradigm Titans was better than original ONKY speakers!

Conclusion: Looking towards specification of ONKYO receiver (Dynamic Power: 85W for 8 ohm front), one can connect bookshelf speakers of appropriate ratings for 2-chanel music listening.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back