Onkyo HT s3400 Owner's thread

hi
finally i decided to go for an onkyo 3400. but all these technical terms are confusing. i wanna know whether this can play a 3D disc. whether i have to buy a 3D READY HDMI CABLE to view 3d movie? what is difference between 3D READY PLAYER and 3D BLU-RAY PLAYER, and whether this onkyo model is 3d ready OR 3D? please help me to solve my confusions

Onkyo 3400 wont' play 3D discs, as it has no built in BD player. You will need a 3D blu-ray player for that. 3400 is 3D ready - you can pass 3D video signal from your player through this amp. You will also need HDMI 1.4 cable for 3D to work.

from reviews it is clear that there is not much difference between onkyo 3400hts and 3300 except some extra format readings. the price difference is around 7k. 3300HTS costs 17.5k, (timtara.com)and 3400HTS costs 24k. So i am still searching for a 3300 model for the last 2 days on online shops, but only shop available is AMAZONE!!!
friends, please help me to buy one, or let me know the available shop either at kerala, chennai, mumbai, or hyderabad. i will collect it from any shops in these regions.

Hi

You can visit any of the ezone or reliance digital stores. They stock only the 3300 model you can negotiate the price.

Thanks

Hi All,

Just purchased Onkyo 3400 for 23,500 Rs from Griha Vaibhava, Jayanagar 5th Block, Bangalore.

Stock is readily available. Demo is also provided at the showroom.

Also Denon 1312xp is available for 28,900 Rs.

Last edited:
Hi Friends,

I bought Onkyo 3400 a week ago for Rs 24000/- from Pune.
The performance seems to be good after initial listening.
Currently, I have connected my Tatasky HD+ to the AVR using HDMI and AVR to my Samsung PS51D550 via HDMI.
My doubt is that, if I need to play my movies from my hard disk which would be connected to my TV via USB port, how can I get the 5.1 channel sound through the AVR ?
Kindly suggest...
I have read that we can achieve this by using an optical connection from the TV to the AVR. In my TV's manual, it is written that 5.1 channel output will be sent through its optical ouput only in Antynet+ mode. Has anyone tried this from a Samsung TV?

Thanks a lot in advance...

Hi Friends,

I bought Onkyo 3400 a week ago for Rs 24000/- from Pune.
The performance seems to be good after initial listening.
Currently, I have connected my Tatasky HD+ to the AVR using HDMI and AVR to my Samsung PS51D550 via HDMI.
My doubt is that, if I need to play my movies from my hard disk which would be connected to my TV via USB port, how can I get the 5.1 channel sound through the AVR ?
Kindly suggest...
I have read that we can achieve this by using an optical connection from the TV to the AVR. In my TV's manual, it is written that 5.1 channel output will be sent through its optical ouput only in Antynet+ mode. Has anyone tried this from a Samsung TV?

Thanks a lot in advance...
Other option is ARC. check if the TV and AVR both support ARC, I think they both support it. There will be settings to be done on both TV and AVR and you also need to connect to a designated HDMI input on the TV marked ARC.

Other option is ARC. check if the TV and AVR both support ARC, I think they both support it. There will be settings to be done on both TV and AVR and you also need to connect to a designated HDMI input on the TV marked ARC.

Thanks....But I don't think my TV(PS51D550) supports ARC as I do not see any HDMI port labeled so....

Has anyone tried with success the optical output from this TV(PS51D550) to Onkyo 3400 (or any AVR for that matter) to get 5.1 channel audio?

(Sorry if I'm asking TV specific questions here...Actually I'm trying my luck in both TV specific thread and here as well :) )

Thanks in advance...

Jayan007,
I have tried connecting Optical out of the TV to AVR. But I was only getting 2 ch output even though the source contains 5.1 Dolby.

I have Samsung C650 model and when I checked in the user manual of TV, it clearly says to get 5.1 output, you need to connect the optical out of your STB/DVD directly to AVR.

I am still wondering if anyone successfull in getting 5.1 out of optical TV connection

Jayan007,
I have tried connecting Optical out of the TV to AVR. But I was only getting 2 ch output even though the source contains 5.1 Dolby.

I have Samsung C650 model and when I checked in the user manual of TV, it clearly says to get 5.1 output, you need to connect the optical out of your STB/DVD directly to AVR.

I am still wondering if anyone successfull in getting 5.1 out of optical TV connection

Hi,

Oh, that is a sad news...
How do you confirm that the source is Dolby 5.1 ?

Thanks

Thanks....But I don't think my TV(PS51D550) supports ARC as I do not see any HDMI port labeled so....

Has anyone tried with success the optical output from this TV(PS51D550) to Onkyo 3400 (or any AVR for that matter) to get 5.1 channel audio?

(Sorry if I'm asking TV specific questions here...Actually I'm trying my luck in both TV specific thread and here as well :) )

Thanks in advance...

Jayan007,

On TV there would be some setting under Sound/Audio to send raw digital signal via S/PDIF (here in this case optical) output. You will have to select that to get true 5.1 channel audio from your AVR.
For example in Samsung PS51D550, under MENU --> Sound --> Sound Effect, you will have to select "SPDIF Output".

I just ordered this system and I was wondering if I should get 14 or 16 gauge speaker wire because I don't know if 14 gauge wire will fit in the speaker spring clips on the back of the receiver and speakers. Can anyone let me know what is the biggest gauge that fits? Thanks in advance.

On TV there would be some setting under Sound/Audio to send raw digital signal via S/PDIF (here in this case optical) output. You will have to select that to get true 5.1 channel audio from your AVR.
For example in Samsung PS51D550, under MENU --> Sound --> Sound Effect, you will have to select "SPDIF Output".

Thank you so much.....I tried it and guess what...it worked..:)

Now I'm able to get Dolby Digital 5.1 channel audio out through optical cable connected to my Samsung PS51D550, when I play movies from harddisk which is connected to USB port in the TV....

Thanks....:)

Hello Jayan007,
Could you please explain the procedure to get 5.1 through optical out of the TV. I mean from TV side settings.

I have 40C650 and I am not getting 5.1 from optical out of TV.

Hello Jayan007,
Could you please explain the procedure to get 5.1 through optical out of the TV. I mean from TV side settings.

I have 40C650 and I am not getting 5.1 from optical out of TV.

I connected my TV's optical OUT to my AVR's optical IN using an optical cable and I just followed the steps provided by "ontherocks" a few posts above as given below.

"In Samsung PS51D550, under MENU --> Sound --> Sound Effect, you will have to select "SPDIF Output".
(Check whether or not this option is there in your TV...)

Thanks

Let me check whether I have this option in my TV. I found that there is a option called Dolby digital in my TV but it is always greyed out. I cannot select this option.

Hi Guys!

I would like share with all that, even I am proud owner of 3400..:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I have brought this system last Saturday from Onkyo Wonderland, MG Road, Bengaluru. I got it for 22500 after ex-changing my old Philips HTR 2000 5.1 speakers which was around 5 years old. They exchanged this to 2.5K as they had quoted the 3400 for 24990/-.

I did not get any goodies or else.. :(

But still happy that I got exchange price of 2500/- for my old system, which I had brought for 6K at that time.

As first couple time I am quiet happy with the system, but still need to watch a movie in this. As I connected to my DVD player and next is to go for Blu-Ray player so that I can enjoy the movies!!!

Thanks for you all for giving good review on this system, so that I had decided to for it.

Thanks again!!

Hi Guys!

I would like share with all that, even I am proud owner of 3400..:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I have brought this system last Saturday from Onkyo Wonderland, MG Road, Bengaluru. I got it for 22500 after ex-changing my old Philips HTR 2000 5.1 speakers which was around 5 years old. They exchanged this to 2.5K as they had quoted the 3400 for 24990/-.

I did not get any goodies or else.. :(

But still happy that I got exchange price of 2500/- for my old system, which I had brought for 6K at that time.

As first couple time I am quiet happy with the system, but still need to watch a movie in this. As I connected to my DVD player and next is to go for Blu-Ray player so that I can enjoy the movies!!!

Thanks for you all for giving good review on this system, so that I had decided to for it.

Thanks again!!

Congratulations on your purchase.

As per few of our Hifivision members recent posts, they bought the 3400 for 23000 in HYD.

I also purchased Onkyo 3400 for 23,500 Rs from Griha Vaibhava, Jayanagar 5th Block Bangalore. http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/21456-onkyo-ht-s3400-owners-thread-7.html#post319388

Based on this, your Philips system was exchanged for 500 to 1000 Rs. Which still may be a good price for dealer exchange.

As the exchange amounts quoted by dealers are very less. Croma offered 1000 Rs for my 5 year old Refrigerator which I bought for 7200Rs. Also 200 Rs for my 3 jar Mixer/Grinder, 4 years old, and purchased for 3600 Rs. I didn't exchange these items, gave the mixer to maid (she was on cloud 9). Refrigerator is put on sale for 3000Rs (Will sell for 2500Rs at least).

Last edited:
Congratulations on your purchase.

As per few of our Hifivision members recent posts, they bought the 3400 for 23000 in HYD.

I also purchased Onkyo 3400 for 23,500 Rs from Griha Vaibhava, Jayanagar 5th Block Bangalore. http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/21456-onkyo-ht-s3400-owners-thread-7.html#post319388

Based on this, your Philips system was exchanged for 500 to 1000 Rs. Which still may be a good price for dealer exchange.

As the exchange amounts quoted by dealers are very less. Croma offered 1000 Rs for my 5 year old Refrigerator which I bought for 7200Rs. Also 200 Rs for my 3 jar Mixer/Grinder, 4 years old, and purchased for 3600 Rs. I didn't exchange these items, gave the mixer to maid (she was on cloud 9). Refrigerator is put on sale for 3000Rs (Will sell for 2500Rs at least).

Thanks!

Yes, I know some of the members are got it for less than what Wonderland had quoted me..(24990). But when he told me that, he can give me 2500/- for old one, I agreed with out thinking. Because I would never get that much price else where, max some one could quote 1000/- that's all. So, in that case, I think it's good deal for me.

Not only that, they delivered for free and took my old one. But when I had inquired in Modern World, he told me get your system here, then we quote. But in Wonderland he checked the model in Net and quoted the price!!!

So, in these cases, I am quiet happy, other I had to travel 2-3 three times (up and down 20 KM), if some thing goes wrong in deal!

Considering all these I bought the 3400 for this price!!!

Let me check whether I have this option in my TV. I found that there is a option called Dolby digital in my TV but it is always greyed out. I cannot select this option.

Hi,

Did you check?....

I forgot to mention this the other day, in my TV also, the Dolby Digital option was greyed out initially. But after connecting the optical cable to the AVR and change the settings to configure the OPT1 or OPT2 to take input from TV and finally playing a movie with dolby digital audio from my hard disk, the Dolby Digital option in TV's menu got enabled automatically...

You may also try this and see if it works...

Thanks

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back