Onkyo HT s3400 Owner's thread

I have upgraded with
Yamaha NS-71 ( Tower Front L & R )
Yamaha NS-P51 ( Center & Surrounds L & R ) .

Can you recommend some subwoofers models. Is the Polk audio PSw110 a good option .

I am getting a good bass from my Tower Speakers but the Passive Sub dint many any difference so i removed them.Not sure if the Active subwoofers will give a better experience .

Yes it is possible to connect a active subwoofer. What Yamaha speakers did you connect?
Hi Praveen,

Can you pls help me show how to connect a Active Sub to my Onkyo HTR390 . Initially i thought of upgrading my AVR for only connecting an Active Sub .Rest I am happy with this Amplifier after upgrading with my Tower Speakers . Also My friend is traveling to US thought of buying one Sub from there .

There is only + & - negative terminal for connecting the Subwoofers.onkyohts3405_002.jpg

Hi Praveen,

Can you pls help me show how to connect a Active Sub to my Onkyo HTR390 . Initially i thought of upgrading my AVR for only connecting an Active Sub .Rest I am happy with this Amplifier after upgrading with my Tower Speakers . Also My friend is traveling to US thought of buying one Sub from there .

There is only + & - negative terminal for connecting the Subwoofers.View attachment 28182
Hi Dinesh,
Buy an active sub with Speaker in port like below pic, and connect onkyo Front B R+L out to Active sub R+L in.

81njqEC2p1L._SL1200_.jpg

onkyohts3405_002.jpg

But getting an RCA adapter should be an good option as have the option of using the Sub woofers incase of any upgrade of AVR .Any idea on the output .Did anyone try this

But getting an RCA adapter should be an good option as have the option of using the Sub woofers incase of any upgrade of AVR .Any idea on the output .Did anyone try this

Try like this adapter
I never recommend this above adapter , it does not have gain control.

Look for this kind of Line level to RCA adapter may be some what ok but
I never tried those adapters or bare cable since it is directly connected to the output of power amp section.

Last edited:
Onkyo HTR390 don't have a sub out, so you have to use speaker out only.
An active sub has speaker in and sub in both, if you upgrade your AVR in future you can connect through SUB out from avr to sub in of subwoofer.

RCA adapter - No.

Hello Everyone,

How is the SQ and movie experience for the entry level HTS3800 vs Yamaha 2910? I have already auditioned Yamaha 2910, would like to know the opinion from peer members. One con which i see is HTS 3800, does not have a sub out since this is a entry level and entry level Yamaha does not have HDMI pass through which i think is a must. I already have a Chromecast which will be used for online streaming. I am also looking at Yamaha V485, Pioneer VSX 832 and Marantz NR 1508/09.
Planning to hook front speakers to existing sony ss-h992 8Ohms Bookshelf type speakers and might get NS-P51 Yamaha Bookshelf type Speakers. I will not be upgrading to tower speakers anytime soon if i get a AVR alone.
https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/speaker_systems/ns-p51/index.html#product-tabs
I am new to AVR and your opinions are welcome.

Need Service Centre of Onkyo Mumbai
Kalina Service Centre has shut
Lakozy claims to be the authorised service centre
has anyone tried out lakozy Charni Road
AVR has no audio, turner is ok
Thanks
WLG

Got it repaired the tech said corrupt RAM? does the Onkyo 3300 have a RAM or ROM any idea

Hi ,

My Onkyo HTR390 looks to have some problem My AVR does not respond to my Remote Operations and also when i try the Physical button also same thing .I am able to Power ON my AVR i am getting sound from the Sources but it gets hanged on the same setup . I try to make a factory reset also but i have the same issue . Is there anyways i can fix .

Need your help on this .

Thanks
Dinesh

I am not using Subwoofers as My tower Speakers gives me good bass
Hopefully that ain't suitable for towers like Yamaha F71. You can try with service shops in mount road. If you look into the ventilation holes do you see any dust or dirt at glance. I guess most of these issues caused due to dust.

Hopefully that ain't suitable for towers like Yamaha F71. You can try with service shops in mount road. If you look into the ventilation holes do you see any dust or dirt at glance. I guess most of these issues caused due to dust.
I can see lot of dust . I need to take it to an Service center to do that

Hi,
I need some help in connecting the Amazon Fire TV stick with Onkyo 3400. The system is connected sometime back and I almost forgot everything.
I could not locate the user manual of Onkyo S3400. Please send me the user manual if anyone have?

My connections are like this
-> Fire TV stick connected to Samsung TV to one of the HDMI port
-> TV Optical SPDIF is connected to the Onkyo Receiver.
-> When I play the movie from Amazon Prime, only the background music come through the speakers of Onkyo.
-> The usual talking in the movie is not audible ( I could not hear what characters are talking in movie)

Can anyone help me in getting 5.1 Dolby from Amazon TV stick??
Also please pass me the Onkyo S3400 User Manual if you have!!

Appreciate your help

Hi,
I need some help in connecting the Amazon Fire TV stick with Onkyo 3400. The system is connected sometime back and I almost forgot everything.
I could not locate the user manual of Onkyo S3400. Please send me the user manual if anyone have?

My connections are like this
-> Fire TV stick connected to Samsung TV to one of the HDMI port
-> TV Optical SPDIF is connected to the Onkyo Receiver.
-> When I play the movie from Amazon Prime, only the background music come through the speakers of Onkyo.
-> The usual talking in the movie is not audible ( I could not hear what characters are talking in movie)

Can anyone help me in getting 5.1 Dolby from Amazon TV stick??
Also please pass me the Onkyo S3400 User Manual if you have!!

Appreciate your help

You can download manual from onkyo website.

Since you have connected with TV-optical out to av receiver , check from TV settings whether DD is enabled.

And check you are getting DD/DTS signal from your AV receiver .

You can download manual from onkyo website.

Since you have connected with TV-optical out to av receiver , check from TV settings whether DD is enabled.

And check you are getting DD/DTS signal from your AV receiver .
I have got the manual from online.
When I connect the SPDIF Optical port from TV to Receiver, In TV it shows Dolby Digital through Optical.
In Receiver I am not getting any sound.
I do not have HDMI port with ARC supported in TV, So I have to use the Optical port only to get the surround sound.
I tried changing the sound options in Fire Stick but no luck!!

Any other options ??

I have got the manual from online.
When I connect the SPDIF Optical port from TV to Receiver, In TV it shows Dolby Digital through Optical.
In Receiver I am not getting any sound.
I do not have HDMI port with ARC supported in TV, So I have to use the Optical port only to get the surround sound.
I tried changing the sound options in Fire Stick but no luck!!

Any other options ??
Make sure you have chosen Optical as Audio Input for the Input Device instead of HDMI in AVR. It should work .

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back