Onkyo HT s3400 Owner's thread

I am using chromecast directly with Onkyo 3300. Its working perfectly, but unable to get 5.1 surround somehow

I think it should produce 5.1..May be problem with the content..Did you try streaming videos from Netflix..I will give it a try this weekend..Netflix subscription is free for one month in India...

Anyway since I have connected the TV audio output to AV Receiver using optical cable, it does not make difference when connected directly to Receiver...or does it ??

I tried few demo videos on Youtube for testing Dolby surround...It was really awesome and the sound was real 5.1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvnlpPWAcZc

I got a slightly noobish question. Why does my sound volume go till a maximum of 72 (out of 100 probably). Is this the maximum possible volume or any settings need to be changed to access full volume?

Hi Users,

I have same system. From last one week HDMI source or output stopped working. So, I am not able to watch any thing from home theater.

Any body know why could have gone wrong?

Regards!

Was there any voltage fluctuation..Check for HDMI ends for burnt or anything that looks like greasy

Guys,

i got repaired the Receiver in Onkyo Service. The HDMI IC was got burnt for CBL/SAT and Game input ports. It costed at Rs. 2000 for IC and Rs. 1000 for Service Charges.

Regards!

I have a question reg. the sound

I have been using Onkyo 3400 for 3+ years. Recently i observed that the sound is coming low . Earlier for a sound of 20-22, it was too loud to watch a movie . Now I had to keep the volume to 30-35 to get the same kind of sound.
The source remains the same for all these years.
I watch movies from USB and Tatasky DTH.

Is there anything to do to increase the sound at low sound levels??
Appreciate your help in this !!!

I have been using Onkyo 3400 for 3+ years. Recently i observed that the sound is coming low . Earlier for a sound of 20-22, it was too loud to watch a movie . Now I had to keep the volume to 30-35 to get the same kind of sound.

Are you getting overall sound low or from any specific speaker? Kindly check your level calibration settings. Set all speaker with same settings and switch speaker by speaker to find any differences.

Please check your dynamic settings i.e the settings in the 'Audio' menu on the remote. For movies to be played at lower volume you can set the center a little higher.

Please check your dynamic settings i.e the settings in the 'Audio' menu on the remote. For movies to be played at lower volume you can set the center a little higher.

Is there a way to change the sound levels for each speaker ?? I thought the volume setting id for all the speakers.. Let me check the dynamic settings..

Yes, each speaker level can be set separately. I think the setting is called 'level calibration' on the settings screen

You will hear a 'whoosh' type sound from each as you move to each one. They should all sound the same level from your viewing position after resetting the levels.

Need inputs from Onkyo owners,

I am looking for home theater, the purpose is Gaming XBOX One (70%), Movie (20%) and Music (10%). The initial budget is around 30k. I cannot invest huge amount and even may not upgrade for years, till the time it dies. Within this budget I have shortlisted Onkyo 3700, the lowest price quoted is 30k and Yamaha 299, the price is around 32-34k. Denon combination seems to be promising but expensive, though I dont know the price.
Now the problem is Yamaha 299 has been discontinued and even in case it is available then either it is old or demo piece.
Need your help to understand if Onkyo 3700 is good and what should be the price, any dealer with lesser price in Delhi NCR. As per the reviews on forum the bass seems to be low, can any existing owner confirm.
Else what should be the alternative for Onkyo 3700 to check and compare with ~30k budget.

Hi Kamra,

At 30k, you will be able to purchase an HTIB like Onkyo 3700, but what you get is what you pay for. If you are not expecting to replicate a real movie experience, but ready to compromise on some area, an HTIB is the way to start. The stock speakers are mediocre, but good for a first timer.
One good thing is, you can upgrade your speakers anytime you like when you have some money and you still can experience good sound with your onkyo receiver. I also started with an Onkyo HTIB, and I never regretted it as funds were always an issue. Good luck. However if you have few more thousands, it will be better to go for a stand alone receiver and atleast two book shelf speakers which leaves a good possibility for easy upgrade in the future. Or if your intention is to limit your spend to 30k, go for an HTIB like Onkyo 3700 right away. Audition it before you plunge
I dont have much experience with Yamaha, so no comments on that.

I'm facing an issue. My subwoofer port seems to be malfunctioning. If I connect the subwoofer to other ports it gives sound.
Anyone faced this issue or what may be probable method to fix this.
P.S. I've already tried resetting the amp.

I have been using Onkyo 3400 for some 5 years time and though of upgrading to floor standing speakers with the same AVR HT R390.
My options are Jamo S426 package , Taga 606 package ,Polk T50 package with the existing Woofers as I know 3400 don't support Active Sub.

Will my 3400 AVR drive these Speakers ?
Does anyone have any experience ?
Which will be good Speaker Package ?

Request your suggestions as I haven't auditioned any.Also you can suggest for any floor standing in the Budget of 30 K

There is also a plan to change my AVR after sometime as I have a limited budget for now.

Last edited:
I have used active sub with my old Onkyo 3300. The trick is to select a subwoofer which can accept line-in , means you can connect the passive output to the active sub.

Have anyone tried this option of connecting an Active Sub to Onkyo 3400 AVR .

I have also upgraded my 5 Satellite to Yamaha Tower Speakers .

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back