Onkyo HT s3400 Owner's thread

^^ I used the usb port of AVR only a couple of times just for testing purpose. Afterall it supports only music files and so not worried about file size or format.

We would want to listen to the music often hence we thought will try the USB port for playing music. We currently don't have any DVD or Blu Ray Player but can get hold of one Moser Baer Player available with one of my friends.

Gentlemen!

I am embarking on pre-wiring my upcoming apartment for the speakers. As of now will just do the PVC piping for the front & rear speakers. The developer's electrical engineer is gracious enough to lend a helping hand.The Center & Sub are out of scope and will directly connect to the Receiver.
Later once during actual wiring, I'll put in the wires and the terminals.

Here is my set-up : Bravia LCD 32" + Onkyo HT-S3400 + TATASky HD + Philips BPD

Now I seek your help/thoughts on :

1 : Wires : Is a reel of 16GA CL2 good enough for in wall runs through PVC ?
2 : Terminals : I plan basic spring-clip (push in) type maintaining continuity with the existing set up.Are there any better and convenient alternatives ? Does the wires need to be soldered to the rear of the clips (inside the wall) or just twined n twisted.
3 : Wall Plates : I plan to put the terminals in wall plates. Any better alternatives ?

I'd love to have your thoughts and inputs and explore if there are any beter alternatives/options for any or all of these...

Cheers
KD

1. What is the length of cables required for wiring? For most purposes 16AWG cables will be enough. I am using 18AWG DAC cables for my surrounds which are approximately 50 feet from the receiver.

2. Instead of spring clips go for binding posts. They are more reliable and easy to use.

3. You can buy AV wall plates from MX.

MX MDR ELECTRONICS & MX ELECTRONICS & HDMI & CCTV CAMERA & DVR & SDI ACCESSORIES & VGA ; DVI & APPLE ACCESSORIES & CABLES & CONNECTORS & HOME THEATER CABLES & PRO-AUDIO / STUDIO ACCESSORIES & FIBER OPTICS & CABLE MANAGEMENT & CABLE ORGANISER & VIDEO

I am using this one near my avr - MX MDR ELECTRONICS & MX ELECTRONICS & HDMI & CCTV CAMERA & DVR & SDI ACCESSORIES & VGA ; DVI & APPLE ACCESSORIES & CABLES & CONNECTORS & HOME THEATER CABLES & PRO-AUDIO / STUDIO ACCESSORIES & FIBER OPTICS & CABLE MANAGEMENT & CABLE ORGANISER & VIDEO

Gentlemen!

Now I seek your help/thoughts on :

1 : Wires : Is a reel of 16GA CL2 good enough for in wall runs through PVC ?
2 : Terminals : I plan basic spring-clip (push in) type maintaining continuity with the existing set up.Are there any better and convenient alternatives ? Does the wires need to be soldered to the rear of the clips (inside the wall) or just twined n twisted.
3 : Wall Plates : I plan to put the terminals in wall plates. Any better alternatives ?

I'd love to have your thoughts and inputs and explore if there are any beter alternatives/options for any or all of these...
KD

For front, use Gauge 12 or 14. For rear you can use gauge 16. Make sure there are no joints. Make sure you use a original copper wire and not tin copper. I use DAC brand. At every end, leave some extra wire (atleast 1m)
Use flat casing pipe(1.5inch) instead of round PVC pipe. In future you can use this to pass HDMI cable, Ethernet cable and regular speaker wires).

Spring clip is fine. Just make sure there is no oxidation formed.

For front, use Gauge 12 or 14. For rear you can use gauge 16. Make sure there are no joints. Make sure you use a original copper wire and not tin copper. I use DAC brand. At every end, leave some extra wire (atleast 1m)
Use flat casing pipe(1.5inch) instead of round PVC pipe. In future you can use this to pass HDMI cable, Ethernet cable and regular speaker wires).

Spring clip is fine. Just make sure there is no oxidation formed.

Thanks 007india,
A follow up Q - When I am terminating the In-Wall wires into the rear of the spring clip, do i need to solder it or just twine the wires?

Thanks 007india,
A follow up Q - When I am terminating the In-Wall wires into the rear of the spring clip, do i need to solder it or just twine the wires?

No need to solder as the resistance will mismatch. Make sure, you don't break the strands while twisting(twine) the wire tip.

The flat casing pipe will be 0.5-1foot above from the flooring or just above skirting.

Leave extra wires(1m) in both directions.

Just curious to know,
Have you finalised the speaker positions in your home? Let me have the sketch of the living room or place where you will install the system, with TV, window, door and couch positions to point it properly. Don't plan for any TV unit on the flooring, if you need, mount it to the wall so that its atleast 1.5feet above the flooring(base of the unit should not touch the flooring).

imho.for 3400 use 20 rs/meter wala pure copper normal electrical wire..avilable in local store
dont invest much..
and why need the cliop etc?
no of interconnnets the less the better

Last edited:
No need to solder as the resistance will mismatch. Make sure, you don't break the strands while twisting(twine) the wire tip.

The flat casing pipe will be 0.5-1foot above from the flooring or just above skirting.

Leave extra wires(1m) in both directions.

Just curious to know,
Have you finalised the speaker positions in your home? Let me have the sketch of the living room or place where you will install the system, with TV, window, door and couch positions to point it properly. Don't plan for any TV unit on the flooring, if you need, mount it to the wall so that its atleast 1.5feet above the flooring(base of the unit should not touch the flooring).

Thanks 007india,
I'll share them soon!

imho.for 3400 use 20 rs/meter wala pure copper normal electrical wire..avilable in local store
dont invest much..

Thanks Prosenjit,
I am sure the copper wire would do the job, but just skeptical if there'll be any sound quality issues later on. Did you have any challenges ?
Also, if we were to skip the terminals, the wire would directly (without any intermediate connects) would directly connect the speaker to the receiver. I can surely understand the advantages, but would love to know of the disadvantages as well..
Since I have the opportunity to perform the changes during construction, I am hoping to make the best use the of it and make the set-up as "One-Time" as possible, and avoid any rollbacks later..

Would love to have your thoughts..

best
KD

Thanks Prosenjit,
I am sure the copper wire would do the job, but just skeptical if there'll be any sound quality issues later on. Did you have any challenges ?
Also, if we were to skip the terminals, the wire would directly (without any intermediate connects) would directly connect the speaker to the receiver. I can surely understand the advantages, but would love to know of the disadvantages as well..
Since I have the opportunity to perform the changes during construction, I am hoping to make the best use the of it and make the set-up as "One-Time" as possible, and avoid any rollbacks later..

Would love to have your thoughts..

best
KD

If one can buy a copper wire for Rs.20/m, then its OK. But these days I noticed, what ever sold as copper wire is not a pure copper but copper+tin mixed, pure copper is something which will not form any oxides over period of time. If you have any copper wire which is older than a year, just cut in the middle and peel the insulation off. Many a times I noticed there is a oxide formation. If its has a transparent insulation, check it from outside itself, you can make out it with the dull color or oxide formed near the plastic sheath.

I bought DAC cable for 75INR per meter. Also infuture, if you upgrade your system, you don't have to redo the wiring

Quality and type of cable depends on the following

1) Ohms used (6/8)
2) Length between ends, higher the length(>36feet), lower the gauge is better
3) If any of the speaker is expected to haul large band of frequencies, then lower gauge is required.

Still I know there is a big debate going on in cables. But if one can source pure copper wires, then its fine. Lower the gauge is always better

You can refer chart something like this,
http://www.belden.com/docs/images/Blog-Image-Speaker-Cable-Distance-Chart_1.jpg

DACs are heavy value for money..
what i meant not to think much for 3400 stock speakers..
they dont even have a xver..
just a 30w 6ohm/8ohm el cheappo driver..

Hi Guys!!

Last night there was a power surge and all my AV equipment's gone (TV,Receiver,HD Box, DVD Player).

Could someone provide the customer care number of Onkyo or how do i go about it for servicing??? Please Please help me???????? I stay in Bangalore

Model: Onkyo S3400
The phone number what they have provided on website is not working (39704455)

This happened even after connecting to Power surge/ Stabilizer and the best what I can do to avoid surge.

Help me, Thanks!!

very sorrry to know that..
was it a thundering??bad whther etc..
warranty peroid?
if not crossed.dont worry.
you dont have to mention the power surge then..simply tell them it is not working.
please call the store u bought from.that might help.
if your surge protector was belkin..i think they have some warranty policy also..on connected equipment
please hurry and also contact them

Yes it was connected through Belkin surge protector...sure I will call them also..Probably it was kind of a voltage fluctation.

I will call up the dealer where I purchased..but is there any onkyo cc number??

Also, what is the warranty period for this??

Guys!!

The culprit was the Hathway HD Set-top box which caused my LCD TV, AV Receiver, DVD Player go kaput.

Samsung guy visited my premises today and confirmed that it was caused by Set-top box through HDMI connector. I am yet to hear from the AV receiver service center.

I think this could be true because, I have switched off the mains of TV, DVD player & AV Receiver and only set-top box was in stand-by mode (which will be always is standby).

Any thoughts on how to mitigate in future...Whether Dish would solve this?

Let me know your suggestions pls??

dont invest much..

hi Prosenjit..

i think i am leaning more towards eliminating any interconnect and run the wires inside the walls..since the Receiver and the speakers are next to walls..it'll be convenient to skip the connectors/terminals and have direct connect.
Saying that, would you know of any decent wall plate that will be small enough and can be used as pass throughs for the wires.

Reg the wires...if I am going for the normal electrical wire..will it be OK to use the same wire that my electrical engineer is using for the rest of the house.. (but of course in separate concealed piping!)..i guess it'd be surely certified for in wall use..

thanks
KD

i dont know what wire is being used in rest of your electricals..
so cannot comment.
20/30 Rs meter wires should be good enough..just check more starnd&each starnd thin....than less starnd&each strand thick..

Hi Guys-

As per my post #333, I got my AV receiver today repaired. They said that there was some problem in voltage and charged me Rs.2200. This was given to Onkyo main service center in Bangalore (Domlur).

My question: is there any way to check the serial number through display apart from the sticker that is pasted behind (is there any embossed one). Just to make sure it is my system.

Obviously you understand these kind of weird thinking will always come when it was under them for almost 3 weeks.

Thanks guys!!

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back