Onkyo HT s3400 Owner's thread

Thanks for your quick support guys, but what my need is, I need the visual of the receiver to adjust the setting of it. Can i hav it with the above said advice?
I also hav the RCA to RCA cable, came with onkyo set.

Especially thanks for OntheRocks and Rupam

Thanks for your quick support guys, but what my need is, I need the visual of the receiver to adjust the setting of it. Can i hav it with the above said advice?
I also hav the RCA to RCA cable, came with onkyo set.

Especially thanks for OntheRocks and Rupam

To see the HT-S3400 settings on TV you need a TV with HDMI inputs and connect that via HDMI OUT of HT-S3400. That's the only way. So, I am afraid, with your current TV, you won't be able to see it.
But on the other hand there are no extra settings that you will be able to see on TV. All the settings could be viewed on HT-S3400 LCD display. If they are not viewable from a distance, increase the display brightness.

STB has nothing to do with audio coming from files being played from USB hard disk. So whether STB is connected or not makes no difference.

ARC essentially means that whatever audio output you are getting from TV speakers, that audio will be sent to HT-S3400 and it will be output through HT-S3400's speakers.
So say you connected 10 devices to the TV (some via USB, some directly via HDMI, etc, etc), then you select one device and you start playing something from it on TV. If you are getting audio through TV speakers, you can send it to 3400 via ARC.
But you need to turn ON ARC in HT-S3400 for this to happen. The way to do this is...under HDMI Setup --> Audio Return Ch (ARC) set this to "Auto". Then when you want ARC to work, which means output audio from TV speakers to HT-S3400, you select "TV/CD" under "Input Selector" from HT-S3400's remote. Some people think just by connecting devices to ARC ports via HDMI cable will make ARC work, or you need special HDMI cables for that.

Now in your case, you must have set Audio Return Ch (ARC) to "Auto" and you have selected "TV/CD" from remote (or previously had selected "TV/CD" before switching off HT-S3400, which means when HT-S3400 is switched ON the next time, it will start in "TV/CD" mode automatically). So when you switch ON HT-S3400 and play something from hard disk audio is output through HT-S3400. So now you know how to turn this OFF when this happens.......select anything else other than TV/CD from remote.
This is not an issue. It's a feature, if you may.

Thanks on the rocks ! Problem still persists....
1) Setting was/is 'ARC to Auto under HDMI setup'
2) Already using TV/CD selector
3) Now the bizareness of the problem is like this (a) When I switch on all connected and play hard disk at TV USB, I get the picture only (b) If I switch on the same set up with STB cable disconnected the sound comes out
4) I see PCM icon in step 3 b and only icon 'A' in step 3 a

Why would be that is the problem...
Any thoughts ...?:

To see the HT-S3400 settings on TV you need a TV with HDMI inputs and connect that via HDMI OUT of HT-S3400. That's the only way. So, I am afraid, with your current TV, you won't be able to see it.
But on the other hand there are no extra settings that you will be able to see on TV. All the settings could be viewed on HT-S3400 LCD display. If they are not viewable from a distance, increase the display brightness.

Yes, streday evening i tried to make it with the Receiver's LCD display and i done it. Now the effects are quit well. But now another problem arises. Due to insufficient length of the factory cable coming with onkyo, I bought some speaker cable from the a retail shop and used it. Im not getting louder sound from the surround speakers compared with the front speakers. your ideas?

3) Now the bizareness of the problem is like this (a) When I switch on all connected and play hard disk at TV USB, I get the picture only (b) If I switch on the same set up with STB cable disconnected the sound comes out
That's strange. Tell me your connections again.

Yes, streday evening i tried to make it with the Receiver's LCD display and i done it. Now the effects are quit well. But now another problem arises. Due to insufficient length of the factory cable coming with onkyo, I bought some speaker cable from the a retail shop and used it. Im not getting louder sound from the surround speakers compared with the front speakers. your ideas?
Are you getting low volume because you changed the cable? I mean was it louder with the stock cable with the speakers placed at the same place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrackram View Post
Are you getting low volume because you changed the cable? I mean was it louder with the stock cable with the speakers placed at the same place?

I tried replacing cable with the factory one, I got better sound, any suggestions for better cables to use?

a) Videocon HD STB ----> (HDMI) to Onkyo 3400 at CBL HDMi In port----> From Onkyo HDMI output to Panasonic 42x30 D - ARC HDMI

b) Hard disk connected to USB slot of Panasonic
Keep the STB HDMI connected.
Reset HT-S3400.
To reset the AV receiver to its factory defaults, turn it on and, while holding down VCR/DVR, press ON/STANDBY. Clear will appear on the display
and the AV receiver will enter Standby mode.

Then set the following options under HDMI setup in the order that I have mentioned below:

HDMI Ctrl (RIHD) --> ON
HDMI Through --> OFF
Audio TV Out --> OFF
Audio Return Ch (ARC) --> Auto
LipSync --> OFF

Turn off the receiver and turn it on again. Check the settings again if they are correctly saved.
Then play something from USB hard disk.
Select TV/CD from the remote.

Keep the STB HDMI connected.
Reset HT-S3400.

Then set the following options under HDMI setup in the order that I have mentioned below:

HDMI Ctrl (RIHD) --> ON
HDMI Through --> OFF
Audio TV Out --> OFF
Audio Return Ch (ARC) --> Auto
LipSync --> OFF

Turn off the receiver and turn it on again. Check the settings again if they are correctly saved.
Then play something from USB hard disk.
Select TV/CD from the remote.

did the same...but still no sound
While setting RIHD to ON....HDMI Thru,Audio TV Out becomes---> Auto by default and I cannot make it OFF...

Again with STB cable removed the video from Hard disk at TV USB can be played ...
BTW thanks for the detailed reply...
Any other way..?

did the same...but still no sound
While setting RIHD to ON....HDMI Thru,Audio TV Out becomes---> Auto by default and I cannot make it OFF...
Yes they would be automatically set to Auto if RIHD is set to ON, but I thought it may allow you to change it manually later.

Again with STB cable removed the video from Hard disk at TV USB can be played ...
BTW thanks for the detailed reply...
Any other way..?
When you connect the STB, does the input selector change to CBL/SAT automatically? What do you see in the AVR LCD display?
There is no other way. This is the only way. I am not sure, you may be doing something wrong somewhere.
Tell me the current HDMI Input settings.
Else do the following. Since you have only one HDMI input to AVR (which the STB), connect it to HDMI1 (BD/DVD) at the back of AVR and under HDMI Input set as below:-

BD/DVD - - - - -
VCR/DVR - - - - -
CBL/SAT HDMI1
GAME - - - - -
AUX - - - - -
TV/CD - - - - -
PORT - - - - -

Now try

When you connect the STB, does the input selector change to CBL/SAT automatically? ---->Yes
What do you see in the AVR LCD display?--->CBL/SAT
There is no other way. This is the only way. I am not sure, you may be doing something wrong somewhere.
Tell me the current HDMI Input settings.--->
BD/DVD -HDMI 1
VCR/DVR -HDMI 2
CBL/SAT HDMI 3
GAME - HDMI 4
AUX - - - - -
TV/CD - - - - -
PORT - - - - -

Else do the following. Since you have only one HDMI input to AVR (which the STB), connect it to HDMI1 (BD/DVD) at the back of AVR and under HDMI Input set as below:-

BD/DVD - - - - -
VCR/DVR - - - - -
CBL/SAT HDMI1
GAME - - - - -
AUX - - - - -
TV/CD - - - - -
PORT - - - - -

Now try
---- Changed the HDMI Input of CBL to 1 ....Cable connected to HDMI 1 but no luck still..!:sad:

Last edited:
When you connect the STB, does the input selector change to CBL/SAT automatically? ---->Yes
What do you see in the AVR LCD display?--->CBL/SAT
I guessed so.....so that's the culprit.
The AVR seems to give a precedence to devices connected via HDMI over devices connected via other ports, like USB. Since STB is connected via HDMI, it's given a priority and hence it automatically switches to CBL/SAT. This behavior is by design.
However, no need to go by it, whenever it happens, just press TV/CD in remote and ARC will kick in.
Remember, to switch on ARC, you have to select TV/CD mode manually, regardless of whatever is there in the AVR. In other words, regardless of whatever mode the AVR is in or switches to automatically, you have to force it manually to be in TV/CD mode, to switch on ARC.

I guessed so.....so that's the culprit.
Remember, to switch on ARC, you have to select TV/CD mode manually, regardless of whatever is there in the AVR. In other words, regardless of whatever mode the AVR is in or switches to automatically, you have to force it manually to be in TV/CD mode, to switch on ARC.

Whenever I am playing from USB,I select TV/CD from remote (i.e change CBL/SAT ----> TV/CD) but no sound still comes out.As I said earlier sound comes out in case my STB HDMI is disconnected ....
Selecting 'TV/CD' is being done....after playing the USB.(Please note when I disconnect STB cable,I need to select TV/CD to get the sound.That means I am already aware of this and I am doing what you have told above)
My reading of the problem is like this :

1) ARC will come in picture when I am playing anything from devices connected from TV
2) Please note here all regular ARC problems (like proper cable,setting) is ruled out since I am able to play ARC when STB HDMI cable is disconnected
3) I have checked all possible TV and AVR settings and still not able to figure out why the problem.
4) Like I said when STB cable is still connected I do not get 'PCM' icon in display.Only Speaker 'A' icon is displayed.When STB cable is removed PCM icon comes up and that time sound is also available.

4) Like I said when STB cable is still connected I do not get 'PCM' icon in display.Only Speaker 'A' icon is displayed.When STB cable is removed PCM icon comes up and that time sound is also available.
Ok, you are doing things correctly then.
One last check if ARC gets switched off automatically even if you are in TV/CD mode.
Keep the STB connected.
Play something from USB drive.
Select TV/CD from remote.
Now goto the following setting under Setup
Source Setup --> Audio Selector
What do you see? Do you see "ARC"?

Now goto the following setting under Setup
Source Setup --> Audio Selector
What do you see? Do you see "ARC"?

I am unable to access Setup when AVR is in TV/CD mode( This problem disappears when STB cable is disconnected)
But when I moved to CBL/SAT and accessed Setup---> Source Setup---> Audio Selector ----> I see " HDMI" option as selected.But there is no option for ARC available .

I am unable to access Setup when AVR is in TV/CD mode
That's really strange.
I am out of ideas.
I have a HT-S3300 and have no such problems and I don't think HT-S3400 should behave in any way different either.
Try contacting guys that have HT-S3400 and ask them to replicate your setup.
I am not sure but I am leaning towards a corrupt firmware.

Cherian, i also own a HT-S3400 HTIB system and i do have the same question as you , what;s the best option to replace the Onkyo Speakers with ?
Recently i had a chance to read many reviews for Energy Take Classic Speakers , and they rated as the one of the Best Budget speakers ( CNET give them the review points as OUTSTANDING!!) i.m thinking to purchase them as a replacement for Onkyo Speakers.
Question is will this set up work ? what is your best suggestion???

Hi All,

I am facing some issues in my woofer. Cockroaches are entering in it via the bass port.
Today when i played a movie, i felt distortion. Tried shaking the woofer and felt like something inside. Opened it and saw a bunch of cockroaches inside. Cleaned it and put back everything. Distortion got reduced a lot but still there slightly. kept the woofer as bottom towards a side and it is fine now. Is there any way i can avoid cockroaches entering the enclosure?? Is it possible to have a kid of cover or a net over the bass port?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back