Onkyo HT s3400 Owner's thread

Damage to speakers or receiver? Any hint on what should be a decent volume level to maintain ...

Thanks.

I am planning to use the Rocketfish wireless rear speaker kit to make my rear speakers wireless. The kit comes with a wireless receiver which has two channels of 20 watt rms each. The 3400 rear speakers are rated as 110 watts rms. I have read somewhere that driving speakers with power too much lower than rated power would damage those. Is it true? Is it ok if I connect the rear speakers with 20 watt rms out? I am ok with the fall in sound quality. Prime concern is the well being of the speakers.

why do want to make them wireless.....speaker wires are a beuty....with the money of the kit..buy cables instead...as the supplied cables are not very good...

I have a tata sky (non hd) stb, which has only composite out.

Connected it with the composite in of the avr. Avr is already connected to the TV via hdmi.

The problem is that I am getting the audio but not video from my stb. What is going wrong? What is the best way to connect a non hd audio/video source to the avr and tv?

ur connection shd be
yellow cable from stb box to tv yellow female jack
red and white cable from stb to avr red and white female(aux I think)...select aux in avr via remote or by button...
select videio 1/2 in tv
open the hdmi cable from avr to tv...
shd work like a charm

or yellow,red,white set from stb to avr in....and again yellow only from avr out to tv in....select video 1/2/3 in avr and also in tv

or
all cable to tv afrom stb and red and white audio out from tv into aux of avr..that will also work..select no tv speakers by tv remote and aux by avr remote
btw upgrade to a hd stb tatasky for enjoying fully ur avr..

oh pls reply whther the connexons worked or not

Last edited:
Ok ... so 3400 doesn't convert analog video to digital :( So I would have to lug around with one more analog video cable between tv and avr.

This is a very serious shortcoming which is never highlighted ....

This is not a problem with Onkyo 3400 only, but almost all of the entry level AVRs have no upscaling feature. AVR makers are skipping this feature in new mid level avrs also. For example Denon 1611 has analog upconversion while it is not available in 1612. There is no need to worry about upconversion as HDMI is the future. Upgrade to hd dth.

exactly may be after 5 years from now it will be skipped in very high ends also..as this particuler need becoming less.in my opinion if onkyo 3400 makers make it just 4 hdmi in 1 out and just a RCA AUX IN.......AND delete all other connections and internal electrnics and related etc etc and by the prodution process make the price tag around say 18k or more less.........it will be the best of the best htib in a budget.........

Last edited:
Alright. If it couldn't be done then it could be done ...

Till that time I get tata sky hd can I feed rca composite into avr and get component out from avr to tv??? Any idea? Can the avr at least convert composite into component !!! I ask this because my composite cable is too short to reach the tv after I had to reposition my stuff to make place for avr and bd player ... I have a component cable which is long enough ...

nope....composite to componet...not possible with this model..I tested...
u can use ur one pc of three pieces component cable as yellow cable from avr video out to tv video in
also

stb to tv present composite yellow,red and white set...and use the 2/3 componet cable as red and white from tv audio out to avr aux in........
pls keep updated about connection success.....eager to know

Last edited:
Looked into the manual. It clearly says that the avr doesn't cross convert any video signal. So hdmi in goes out thru hdmi out, componet thru component and composite thru composite. So I repositioned my stuff and connected stb to tv via composite audio-video, and running an optical from tv to avr ... This is fair enough for me. Any usb media that is connected to the tv also play its audio thru avr ... (I can connect usb to the bd player but just in case some formats are not played by bd player but by the tv ... )

friends need help...one of the fronts spekers in my 3400 stppoed working.checked swapping the channel..avr is sending signal properly.no problem with cable or that particuler channel
.any method to check if the speaker is in working condition or not...

thank you

friends need help...one of the fronts spekers in my 3400 stppoed working.checked swapping the channel..avr is sending signal properly.no problem with cable or that particuler channel
.any method to check if the speaker is in working condition or not...

thank you

Swap non working speaker with the working one on the right/left and check if it working.

polycab speaker cable OR normal electrical solid core copper cable.............anything costlier not required for these supplied speakers.
both are tested by members with good results.

Prasenjit if your machine is under warrenty then call Service centre immediately.

Onkyo has Textomer service

Stmply SMS Onkyo space Your location/Model number to 56767 and receive
information on your nearest (Dealer &. details of the product. You can SMS Onkyo
Help/Service to have our customer service cell call back and attend your queries.
Eg: Onkyo Space Yoor City / Onkyo Space Model Number / Onkyo Space
Klipsch Mo<W Number

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back