Onkyo HT s3400 Owner's thread

No answers Guys

Me too would like to know as getting the upgrade itch but do not want to change the receiver since its doing its job pretty nicely. Though I am thinking of DX1, and that is having Active subwoofer so that is another issue.

great info cherian.infact I was thinking about it since in my room set up the wires are being short.so was thinking to what to buy.
u bought it localy or via online?

now I am facing a problem.when I play any file from my cheap media player it always feeds the reciver 2 channel pcm signal.but tatasky box is feeding the reciever 5.1 surround sound.now I have to buy a blu ray player....
anyone can tell me are you always getting 5.1 channel feed from ur player to reciver.
also have someones player has the function to send raw undecoded sound data into reciver(reciver display shows dts-hd instaed pcm)
I dont have a high budget for player.hehe.so want to know comaptible blu ray player with at least any of those two functions
1.sends decoded 5.1 sound via hdmi to reciever
or
2.send un decoded raw sound data to reciever via hdmi

thanks for help

now I am facing a problem.when I play any file from my cheap media player it always feeds the reciver 2 channel pcm signal.but tatasky box is feeding the reciever 5.1 surround sound.now I have to buy a blu ray player....
anyone can tell me are you always getting 5.1 channel feed from ur player to reciver.
also have someones player has the function to send raw undecoded sound data into reciver(reciver display shows dts-hd instaed pcm)
I dont have a high budget for player.hehe.so want to know comaptible blu ray player with at least any of those two functions
1.sends decoded 5.1 sound via hdmi to reciever
or
2.send un decoded raw sound data to reciever via hdmi

thanks for help

Check the movies that you play have 5.1 audio in ac3 or dts format. If they are already in 2 channel, you will get only stereo sound or pseudo surround sound using dolby prologic or dts neo6 in AVR. Instead of a blu-ray player, buy a media player like himedia 600a. This will handle all media formats including hd audio.

Friends,

I'm using 3400 for sometime and I'm facing an issue with HDMI signal disconnect... here is the way I set up my systems

Ext Hard Disk-->Samsung BR DVD player-->Onkyo 3400-->Samsung 40 LED

All the connections through HDMI 1.4a excepy HardDisk to BR DVD player(This is USB).

While watching a movie i see mute in the sound and receiver is blinking to find sound signal and it is connecting normally... though the pause is for 2-3 secs.. it is irritating at times.. any of you guys facing this issue? if so, there is an remedy?

Thanks in advance
Raj

great info cherian.infact I was thinking about it since in my room set up the wires are being short.so was thinking to what to buy.
u bought it localy or via online?

thanks for help

Sorry for the delay in replying, am traveling.

It's a local purchase. Most local electrical shops will be stocking Polycab line chord. The wires are color coded for easy identification. Standard sizes are 1, 1.5, 2.5(anything over 1.5 mm may be too fat for Onkyo 3400 receiver sockets) 4, 6(some times used for heavy woofers)

When using as speaker cables, remember to twist them into a cord to reduce interference.

Some useful reading on this topic: Speaker Wire

Good luck!

thanks again cherian:clapping::clapping:...I will buy polycab wires.
by the way...I am planning to buy a pure sine wave ups for my home theater set up.
presently they are connected via a belkin power surger prtector.I dont need to watch dvd/tatasky in case of a power failure..I just need power surge protection.
do I really need this pure sine wave ups??

@raj..try a different hdmi cable from ur blu ray player to reciver.
and the case u mentioned..is it while changing channel or changing file?? if yes its normal..there is a click and 2 sec pause while dealing with diferent sound formats...

Hi Guys,

This is my first post to the forum though I have been following this thread for quite some time now.

Got my Onkyo HT-s3400 from Sharaf DG, Dubai a couple of days back for AED 999 (~INR 14500/-), tried looking for Onkyo 3500 there, but it seems they didn't have it with them as yet. Also got 30m Jamo 1.5mm speaker cables, hope they should suffice for the installation.

Need some help from experts on the installation of my 3400:

1. Can this be done ourselves or I should ask authorized Onkyo showroom guys for the installation.
2. What would be the approx service charges for that.
3. Is there any external service provider available in Bangalore who has experience in Onkyo installations.
4. This is not covered under warranty in India, has anyone who got their 3400 from Dubai had any issues with service in India.

Now some info on getting electronics from Dubai:

1. Prices are very cheap for LCD/LED TV's and HTiB's etc
(the Onkyo 5400 is available for AED 1899, I had got my Samsung D550 40" LCD from Dubai last year for arnd INR 30k)
2. Weight of the package after film wrapping at the airport was 22 kgs.
3. Emirates has a free allowance for 30 kgs in Economy and 40 Kgs in Business class.
3. Customs allows INR 35K as free allowance for each passenger (only if your stay abroad is for more than 3 days, if upto 3 days the allowance is INR 15K)

Thanks for your inputs in advance.

Cheers

you can do the installation on your own. call me @ 9731864926for suggestion

Can I connect Sonu 2605 V3 to my "onkyo 3400" using B terminal for listening music. Is there any harm to do this. Also can I get any improvement doing this.

Please advice

Guys - I have run into problems...recently I changed my speaker arrangement in my room and hence the supplied length of the wire for Surround Right is falling short by 1.5 m..

plz let me know is there any other good quality speaker wire (10 m) that suits for onkyo 3400 without loosing the audio clarity.. Again I am more worried about the audio clarity rather than price...

PS: may be this question might have already posted in the previous chains of this thread.. but could'nt find it in a hurry..!!

I googled the Polycab dealer in and around Bangalore, but most of them are situated in Mumbai..
so, I am going out now to check my local Electrical store...in the mean time can u guys let me know any dealer in Bangalore..??

Thanks!!

Can I connect Sonu 2605 V3 to my "onkyo 3400" using B terminal for listening music. Is there any harm to do this. Also can I get any improvement doing this.

Please advice

if the wattage of speaker is more than receiver then its fine provided ohms rating too matches. Use a 14gauge wire. use a single wire rather than joints.

thanks 007

furnished below the spec for your ready referance..
Sonodyne Sonu 2605 V3
-130 W @ 8Ohm
- SENSITIVITY 89 *dB

onkyo ht-s3400
- 120 W/Ch @ 6 Ohms

is this compatible?

thanks 007

furnished below the spec for your ready referance..
Sonodyne Sonu 2605 V3
-130 W @ 8Ohm
- SENSITIVITY 89 *dB

onkyo ht-s3400
- 120 W/Ch @ 6 Ohms

is this compatible?

Well! here is the detailed spec for the speaker
Tech Specs:

DESCRIPTION 3 way floorstanding speaker system
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 Ohm
FREQ. RESP. (+3 dB) 45 Hz ~ 20 kHz
SENSITIVITY (1W, 1M) 89 dB
CONTINUOUS POWER (RMS) 130 W
CROSSOVER FREQ. 600Hz, 3.5kHz
CROSSOVER TYPE 4th Order Linkwitz Riley

1) based on this, your onkyo should match with this speaker but only for front L&R and not for LFE. This is a medium level speaker. use a 14gauge cable. Run a audyssey setup to determine the correct cross over in the receiver and you have to fine tune it. But, I don't understand why you decided this model? have you auditioned other brands like wharfedale and yamaha? If you are very particular about this speaker, then take the receiver to the shop and check it. Since the amp is a entry level and speaker is mid level you shouldn't feel disappointed after your purchase, what is the price of speaker? the speaker is 8Ohm rated which is a plus point. @ 6ohm, it may handle up to 160W.

2) Looking at the freq response and cross over. try if you can do a bi-amping, provided your receiver supports the same. If there is a zoneB or zone2 in receiver, then you can connect the existing onkyo front L&R speaker once you added the floor stander.

use this sonodyne speaker only if you have a listening space of > 200sq.ft.
call me for setup over phone.

Please advice

one more point to add. zone-B is usually analog. The speaker what you mentioned can't handle LFE since the freq response is 45Hz and above. check this thoroughly. before that, why do you want to connect this to zone-B.

until i am able to buy one dedicated amp for this i want to use this with my original setup to listen music.

Is it ok to connect the speakers of my 10 year old aiwa micro hi fi system to the receiver of 3400? I am not sure but they are probably of 30 watts rms each and impedence of 6 ohms. By 'ok' I mean whether this arrangement might damage the receiver or the speakers ...

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back