Onkyo HT s3400 Owner's thread

help me....I purchased Sony Blu ray player and connected using Coaxial to my Onkyo AV Receiver as the player does not have optical port..

If I purchase Videocon DTH, how do i connect to my AV receiver as it has only one coaxial input...even the videocon dth does not have optical output.

I dont want to use the Audio return mode from HDMI

Any suggestion plss??

Why are you connecting it this way? Use HDMI for all connections or atleast for the bdp.

BDP HDMI OUT > AVR HDMI IN
DTH HDMI OUT > AVR HDMI IN
AVR HDMI OUT > TV HDMI IN

If you don't want the avr to be on always while watching dth, you can avoid the second connection and connect directly to TV and connect the coaxial out of dth to avr.

Thanks Baijuxavior!! Forget about the connection for time being. I have one more strange problem after service..Like I said before in my previous posts, my Onkyo 3400 got serviced (went boom due to surge from HDMI cable via hathway HD STB). As per the service Engineer, the problem was related to power supply and rectified it. one thing i noticed was, they have changed the power cord. Earlier it was 3 pin (1 pin was dummy) with fuse. Now it is only 2 pin.

This weekend I made the set-up, but one problem is noticed. There is a humming noise or Test Tone noise coming from the Sub-woofer and Left Rear speaker. Particularly the sub-woofer noise is quite noticeable compared to Left rear. Also, compared to Right Rear, the left rear noise is very low.

What could me the issue???

PS: Here I am referring the humming noise which is similar to one that comes out when we adjust under Speaker level Calibration (gusshhhhhhhhhhh)

Last edited:
Guys for my Onkyo 3400 there is an USB port to which we can plug in Pen Drive or any other device with USB and play songs. I know we were able to do this earlier. But now when we plug in the Pen drive we are not able to play anything. Any suggestions!

Same problem resurfaced again! :(

Hi

Purchased a new S3400 from Reliance Digital Chandigarh @ 26.5K.
This is my first HT system.
I am using it with Tata Sky HD AND Samsung 40ES5600 smart TV.

I am facing 2 problems, both occurs when pen drive is connected to TV.

1) First is whenever I try to play mp3 songs from pen drive and try using ARC to play sound on s3400 speakers, sound do not come through speakers (TV sound also stops). Everything seems ok. HDMI-CEC on both receiver and TV is on and showing connected. But sound do not come through speakers.

2) second is, my tata sky also stops working i.e. neither video comes on TV nor sound comes from speakers (This happens when pen drive is connected to TV).
My connections are
tata sky HD HDMI out --> Receiver HDMI In
Receiver HDMI out--> TV HDMI In

Thanks for help

Hi

1) First is whenever I try to play mp3 songs from pen drive and try using ARC to play sound on s3400 speakers, sound do not come through speakers (TV sound also stops). Everything seems ok. HDMI-CEC on both receiver and TV is on and showing connected. But sound do not come through speakers.

2) second is, my tata sky also stops working i.e. neither video comes on TV nor sound comes from speakers (This happens when pen drive is connected to TV).
My connections are

Thanks for help

I'm not an expert on this issue. I will try.

I have gone through the ONKYO specs from
Onkyo India

1) Is it the 1st time you have this issue or everytime. If its 1st time, do the following
a) Check if the HDMI cable connecting TV & AVR is ver1.4
b) Check if you can get the TV sound heard from ONKYO speakers. You can check this by playing any music channels from TATA Sky. If its coming then, HDMI cable and ARC is just fine.
c) Check if the MP3 file from pendrive can be played in TV itself (sound from TV speakers). This will ensure that no issues from TV end.

Call ONKYO customer care and inform the issue. Don't say that ARC is not functioning but say as no sound from speakers.

Get a good DVD player which can handle multiple video formats, front USB, HDMI out & LAN port with support to DLNA. Hook this to AVR and play MP3 from player.

Sound output from TV will be conventional or stereo alone. But AVR can reproduce Dolby PL II.

Hi

My connections are

Thanks for help

get asus 3.7k media player and enjoy..forget these hassles

Hi, Guys,
Thanks for the posts.. Which help me to made the decision to buy 3400.. Just got for 23k from ezone...

@gauravgargi.. Reliance Digital has 15days price match garauntee.. Try n checkout if you able to get difference back...

I hav LG 47inch tv n tata sky HD...
Anyone knows universal remote for all these three system...

Thanks

Hi,

From where did you buy this in Pune? 23K seems a good price. I am also looking for HTiB in Pune.

Thanks.

Most HDMI ARC functions create problems rather than work seamlessly. That's because the HDMI ARC has to be supported by both TV and the AV receiver. Check that your TV supports ARC properly and its compatible.

My suggestion would be connect the TV and AVR via optical cable or spdif link

Hi,
I got my onkyo 3400 demo today. The guy didnt know much abt speaker Callibration...
Could you please suggest me some rough numbers for speaker db levels

My hall is 15 by 18 feet... Tv is kept in center of 18feet wall..
Also tell me default channel to use for (1) hd channels from setup box (2)sd channel from setup box. (3)aux input from ipod
-m

I placed yamaha196 order and canceled it today to get 3400 from rd. I told them that ezone have it for 26k and it looks like they will match that price. But after looking in this thread that I could have got it for 23k. I am banging my head to got it from rd at first place. I got there because of sbi card payback. Do they have price match policy so I can get 23k . They guy who got ot feom 23k can you send me pic of that recept so I may convince them to lower price?

Hi all,
My Onkyo 3400 stopped working. For a couple of days, it refused to switch on. After 2-3 try, it started working. One day it stopped working. Display in receiver is working. and my setup is from DTH>Onkyo>TV. That as well is fine. OSD works. Problem is no sound. I bought it from Dubai so no warranty available. Any suggestions for a trouble shoot. If anyone knows good shop in Bangalore where i can get it ready other than onkyo authorized centers.

Back to forum after 3 years....

Brought a second hand 3400...

Questions -

Need wire and wall brackets to buy online.

I am about to buy onkyo hts 3700 for Rs.31000. Heard there were many issues with older onkyo htib. Has anyone used this model. Is it Gud?? Any alternatives at this price??

My Onkyo 3300 has three HDMI inputs, however now only one input is working,
have reset the amp but still no luck, any advice?.

Guys - One quick question

Can I connect Google Chromecast to Onkyo receiver using one of the HDMI input. Does it make any difference in sound/picture clarity when connected to receiver.

Currently chromecast is connected to TV and using receiver for sound output. I am using toslink cable (Optical) from TV output to Receiver Input.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back