Onkyo HTIB Package - Worth it?

Akbglr

Onkyo Package @ Modern World, Bangalore
1) TX SR507(A/V R) + SKS HT 528 (5.1 Speakers) + Philips BR Player :Rs. 57000.
2) TX SR507(A/V R) + SKS HT 528 (5.1 Speakers) - Rs.44000

What is a good package to go for - in terms of sound and VFM?

That being said, I was planning to go for HTS-3300. Visited Modern World for its demo, they didn't have 3300 in stock. So gave me a demo of 3200, I wasn't impressed with its sound - to say the least. Not sure if it was the source of demo (a DVD cramped with some 10 videos in it) that was at fault, or if it was the 3200 itself.

Before I pass a judgement on 3200, could experts out here point out what could be wrong - whether it is the demo DVD or is 3200 a bad HTIB?
Reason : If 3300 is anywhere similar to 3200 in terms of sound, I'd rather skip 3300 and go in for a package like the one mentioned above.

Requesting your expert suggestions on this.

Friends, I am a newbie on this site .. Apologies if I posted this Q in the wrong forum. Would certainly appreciate a response. Thanks & Regards.

Thats an entry level old model AVR from Onkyo. @ 57 k you can probably get a better combo. For the same price modern world was giving Pure accoustics 5.1 package some time back.

Try these if you are looking for a 5.1 setup.

Denon 1610 + Polk RM / Energy Take classic 5.1
Onkyo SR 508 + Energy Take classic 5.1

Or you can also look @ Onkyo 3300 htib(VFM).

That being said, I was planning to go for HTS-3300. Visited Modern World for its demo, they didn't have 3300 in stock. So gave me a demo of 3200, I wasn't impressed with its sound - to say the least. Not sure if it was the source of demo (a DVD cramped with some 10 videos in it) that was at fault, or if it was the 3200 itself.

Before I pass a judgement on 3200, could experts out here point out what could be wrong - whether it is the demo DVD or is 3200 a bad HTIB?
Reason : If 3300 is anywhere similar to 3200 in terms of sound, I'd rather skip 3300 and go in for a package like the one mentioned above.

BTW what is your budget for the home theater. Whatz ur room size.if u can afford anything above 40K for an HT, don't buy HTIB. Instead first get an used receiver for 10K. It will do the basic decoding of DTS & DD.. Spend the money on good speakers...If you room size is more then 250 Sqft, invest in pair of good FS speakers and then keep adding speakers as & when your budget allows....

Akbglr: I too had auditioned 3200 in modern world domlur and did not like it, but due to limit in budget (and good review on the net) went for 3300. At home I felt 3300 was much better the 3200 in demo room. For movie this is very good at this price point. Well for music you need to upgrade the front speakers period. I have connect my 7 yr old local speakers which is serving the purpose now. This says that you need to put in more money later. so go for AVR+Spr combo.
I second kittu1977 for onkyo package (not worth the money).

Thats an entry level old model AVR from Onkyo. @ 57 k you can probably get a better combo. For the same price modern world was giving Pure accoustics 5.1 package some time back.

Try these if you are looking for a 5.1 setup.

Denon 1610 + Polk RM / Energy Take classic 5.1
Onkyo SR 508 + Energy Take classic 5.1

Or you can also look @ Onkyo 3300 htib(VFM).

Kittu, Thanks for your inputs. I will certainly look at the options suggested by you.

Akbglr: I too had auditioned 3200 in modern world domlur and did not like it, but due to limit in budget (and good review on the net) went for 3300. At home I felt 3300 was much better the 3200 in demo room. For movie this is very good at this price point. Well for music you need to upgrade the front speakers period. I have connect my 7 yr old local speakers which is serving the purpose now. This says that you need to put in more money later. so go for AVR+Spr combo.
I second kittu1977 for onkyo package (not worth the money).

Rajesh, thank you for the suggestion.

BTW what is your budget for the home theater. Whatz ur room size.if u can afford anything above 40K for an HT, don't buy HTIB. Instead first get an used receiver for 10K. It will do the basic decoding of DTS & DD.. Spend the money on good speakers...If you room size is more then 250 Sqft, invest in pair of good FS speakers and then keep adding speakers as & when your budget allows....

Elangoas, I kind of stretched my budget mentally after I had the 3200 demo. Didnt want to invest 25K on a system which I would repent for later. To be frank, I am currently undecided on the budget, would vary between 25K-50K I feel. Kittu's suggestion on denon+polk does look good, so I may give it a thought. If i buy a used one, I will keep finding faults with the product and then will have buyer's remorse etc etc, which I would rather avoid...

the denon 1610 + energy take classic looks like a sweet combo to me.
Im guessing the energy will be abt 30-35k + sony blueray 9.5k.
Not sure of the denon 1610 costing but yamaha rx-465 is abt 18k (grey).

Still that takes u to 60k plus.... but mate, d energy classic sound amazing for the price

Was browsing through ProFX site y'day, jotted down some speaker combos & prices , as listed below.

Denon 1610 (A/V R)
+
POLK Speakers , detailed below.
Front Speakers
TSi 200 - 150 W, 2-Way 3 Speaker Bass Reflex Bookshelf speakers
150W
Rs.15000

OR

TSi 100 - 100 W, 2-Way 3 Speaker Bass Reflex Bookshelf speakers
100W
Rs.11000

+

Surround Speakers :
OWM 3
2-Way 2 Speaker Surround/Satellite
Rs.11000

+

Sub-Woofer :
PSW 110
200 W, 10 Front Firing Downward Ported Type
Rs.13000

+

Center Channel
Rs.10000 (Estimate)

Total Est : Rs.62K - 66K

Is this an OK config or is it something that can be tweaked to bring down costs? As in, I read teh Denon amp is a 75W output, but the speaker I've mentioned above is a 150W one.. etc etc.

Could you please throw some light on this one.

Sorry for asking too many questions friends...

Is Denon 1610 or a Yamaha AVR a better option, in terms of features?

Also, are Yamaha floor standing & surround speakers good VFM?

Back