Onkyo HTS 3300 + laptop help

cmarella

I posted the same query in my intro.. but since it does not proper tag, i thought i will post in new thread as i am desperately waiting for suggestions.

I have purchased Onkyo HTS3300 from Bajaj Electronic Punjagutta in July 2010. After lots of auditions,online research( i should sincerely thank hifivision and its members) i found this one which fitted exactly into my budget 25K. (i bought for 23K after little koshish..). As i don't have special room for HT, I placed this setup in my hall which is 14 ft *10 ft, i fixed speakers at four corners. Also as rear speaker cable length was not sufficient, i bought local and used for them.

I have TCL DVD player, which has coaxial out and connect to coaxial in to HTS. Audio is decent when i play original DVDs (had BIGFLIX a/c for one year). I did not use HDMI, and thought sound quality will improve tremendously if i have one.

So was waiting to buy blue ray player, which will play hd format and i can enjoy real performance of Onkyo, but my friend suggested to purchase a laptop which can do that using hdmi out.

Now coming to the issues

1) When i connect mp3 player or PC / Laptop's audio out to AUX nput Line in port on front panel, audio is really really poor. I did not expect this from this Onkyo. (Please suggest any good quality cable if it helps)

2) I purchased DELL Inspiron 15R N5010, which has HDMI out, Intels HD Graphic, Intel HD audio. Even when i connect HDMI to HT, and play songs which i normally play from DVD player, audio is comparatively poor, i mean clarity wise as well as output wise. I need to increase volume to 40 to listen what i used to listen at 20 from DVD player. ( I used max vol in laptop and vlc player). I see PCM in AVR, for all HD movies i play via vlc player.

3) When i test my onboard sound cards audio (5.1) when i connect to HT from laptop using HDMI, as shown in following images, i get sound from center speaker for all the speakers. For rear, i get in front too.. some sort of mess happening.
But from Onkyo's Level calibration option, i can perfectly get o/p from respective speakers only.

There must be some issue in laptop setup. If any faced similar issue with any laptop please let me know how to resolve this.

I am extremely disappointed as i am not able to use my laptop with Onkyo HTS3300 as i desired.

I followed following link expecting wil resolve my problems, but it did not.
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theat...3300-a-36.html.

I instlled AC3 filters with suggested settings, but of no use.
Guys please help me in setting up my laptop with HTS3300.

My desire is to watch torrent downloads ( 5.1 audio format downloads) from laptop with Onkyo Surround effects.
Atleast i wish to get similar output what i get from playing original DVD movie from DVD player.

Can you guys suggest settings you are using for best performance.
4. SP Config -> Cross Over frequency
7. Audio Adjust settings
-> Input MUX (Main or Sub or M/S)
-> Audyssey
-> Dynamic EQ
-> Ref Level
-> Dyn Vol

Please suggest how i can best use my Onkyo , with laptop, any standard cables (for HDMI) will bring me out of this mess? Do i need to complain to DELL if it is their issue?

Hope you guys will resolve my long standing issue..
Thanks ...

Attachments

• configure.jpg
    configure.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 84
  • sound.jpg
    sound.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 82
3) When i test my onboard sound cards audio (5.1) when i connect to HT from laptop using HDMI, as shown in following images, i get sound from center speaker for all the speakers. For rear, i get in front too.. some sort of mess happening.
But from Onkyo's Level calibration option, i can perfectly get o/p from respective speakers only.
From the pic, speaker mode is selected as 5.1 Channel. So nothing to change in here. Now check AVR's 'Listening Mode' (details in avr's user manual), set it to Direct Mode or Multichannel PCM mode. Then in windows run the speaker test again. Also disable Dynamic vol, eq, audyssey, night mode etc before running the test tones. Enable these after setting up the surrounds rightly. If you get the test tones to work right, then try playing a 5.1 ch movie in vlc.

Since your AVR can decode DTS, DD, DTS-HD, TrueHD, you should be bitstreaming movie audio from your laptop. Refer sam's HTPC thread for details on bitstreaming audio using XBMC. Or download K lite codec pack and install it. Use its ffdshow audio codec for bitstreaming. This is a guide on bitstraming HD audio.
The link you provided in your post is broken.

I instlled AC3 filters with suggested settings, but of no use.
Unless you bitstream, new versions of ac3 filter sounds really bad* (i felt so!. Compared to earlier releases, recent ones seems so muffled. The high frequencies are toned down.) Remove ac3 filter from ur system.

For AUX mode, change AVR's 'Listening Mode' to Prologic II Music, or DTS NEO 6(or similar). Also make sure you connect the right pins, ( ie right* channel to the red aux socket, and left* channel to the white aux socket, otherwise it may* produce odd surround effects). In your mp3 player, set it to default equalizer preset and disable any 3d surround effects. And in your AVR, you may have to do some 'Tone Control' (Bass/Treble) for your front speakers.

For music via Laptop-HT, use a decent music player. I use Cowon's Jet Audio and its output is much clearer and rich than other players I came across. Also it has inbuilt multichannel surround.

Some* torrents may have multiple audio streams ( 2ch, 5.1ch etc). Make sure u chose the right audio stream while playing.

Leave LFE channels crossover/cutoff frequency at 120Hz. And make all speakers 'small'. If you want that 'Double Bass' feature, you have to make the Front L/R to 'Large' ones.
And move around subwoofer inside the room, to find the 'sweet spot', where it sounds good. Anywhere near the room corner is one of the best places, for a subwoofer.

Hi ausyz, thanks for your reply.

I didn't understand your AUX connection. In Onkyo 3300 i have only one AUX LINE IN in front panel. I am connecting my mp3/laptop head phone out to it.

There are no red/white aux sockets.

Also make sure you connect the right pins, ( ie right* channel to the red aux socket, and left* channel to the white aux socket, otherwise it may* produce odd surround effects)

Post a picture of HDMI properties. In the 2nd image that you have posted click on properties after you have selected HDMI.
Use MPC-HC with LAV filter and use HDMI. That's all you need.
See here http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-pc-htpc-media-pc/18218-getting-lossless-hd-audio-5-1analoge-out-htpc-5.html#post251813

Thanks a lot ontherocks. I followed the mentioned thread and made settings as per that, and i went to Bajaj showroom (Hyd Panjagutta where i bought this) and made HTS settings as per that demo piece(they had HTS 3400).

I tested with a demo DVD (dts , dolby, THX) downloaded 1yr back to take demos while purchasing.

Now its rocking..:yahoo: I have no words to describe my experience. I really underestimated my hometheatre.

Watching dolby or dts 5.1 movie will be amazing. I am eagerly waiting to get some original tracks and watch it over the weekend.

Thanks a lot guys (all who posted their valuable suggestions), you solved my problem within few days after posting in this forum, for which i struggled for almost 1 year.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back