Onkyo HTS-3400 review please

@dips0502: I have no experience with avrs. But have you checked with Lip syncing settings? That may be the reason for delay.

Hey CC, congrats! So finally your search paid off. Did you get in the Ugadi discounts as you mentioned? The price you got is very good for 3400. Any free goodies along?
We need pictures and reviews now.

Soon soon soon.... You're the first here who has bought a 3400 ....or so I think?

thnx snorkel4u...yeah...finally a big deal after searching many...

and as of freebie's . . . i have got Pirates of carribbean HDDVD and Jet li HERO DVD and another title .. and he offered me free delivery (should be charged 300+ as d shop was 16 Kms away )

Vll post photos as soon as i recieved dem...

PS: I was blown away while playing master and commander movie in the demo given there...Hope it does d same magic here too :yahoo:..

iam great fan of onkyo.. but one receiver not up to my satisfactions is 3300< same as 3400 with 1 hdmi less and network features>, i own lg ht and the sub woofer dances for volume of 30+ while lg is superb and gives heavy punch( lg sub is passive but 230 watts rms): having both i suggest u to either go for lg if u like music and movies if u have only 5.1 source dvd / if u like 7.1 or blurays or movies of heavy bass punch select receiver 508+ tall boy speakers of onkyo( approximates 45k): lg costed me 15k it is combo dvd+ ht. its rms is 1200w:::: double of ur onkyo. but it doesnt have hdmi in has only optical in.ht924sf is the model.

iam great fan of onkyo.. but one receiver not up to my satisfactions is 3300< same as 3400 with 1 hdmi less and network features>, i own lg ht and the sub woofer dances for volume of 30+ while lg is superb and gives heavy punch( lg sub is passive but 230 watts rms): having both i suggest u to either go for lg if u like music and movies if u have only 5.1 source dvd / if u like 7.1 or blurays or movies of heavy bass punch select receiver 508+ tall boy speakers of onkyo( approximates 45k): lg costed me 15k it is combo dvd+ ht. its rms is 1200w:::: double of ur onkyo. but it doesnt have hdmi in has only optical in.ht924sf is the model.
How much is the THD at rated output? Comparing RMS without knowing THD and Impedance is a CRIME! :)

Hello guys,
I got my hands on the Onkyo HT-S3400 a week ago. I got it for 25K in nagpur.
Before i bought this unit, i was in a dilemma of whether to buy it or not due to the absence of an active subwoofer.
But after using it for a week or so, i can say that it does not make much difference for the passive subwoofer.

The installation was a breeze as every cable and wire is color coded. I connected the Seagate Home theater+ media player through HDMI and played some DTS files. The quality of sound from this system, i can say to be very good. I would say, denon sounds better but at 25k i think its reasonable.The Receiver is rated at 110W/channel and for home use i found to to be more than sufficient. Other Pros which i found in this unit are the Dolby truHD and DTS-HD decoders.

The onkyo 3400 also has Dynamic EQ which optimizes the audio so that the detailing is not lost at very low volume.

As of the performance, this receiver will sound very professional as long as the source is either in DTS or Dolby. I personally feel DTS to sound better than Dolby in this receiver.

Playing MP3 is not much fun. The system has Music Optimizer which enhances low quality mp3s but the overall sound quality is mediocre.

Subwoofer:
The woofer does a nice job of creating nice rumbles in movies. Specially for missile blasts and earth quakes. But for playing MP3, it can become a big pain in the wrong place.

So, in all i can say that this system can be a good deal unless your expectations are too much.

Hello guys,
I got my hands on the Onkyo HT-S3400 a week ago. I got it for 25K in nagpur.
Before i bought this unit, i was in a dilemma of whether to buy it or not due to the absence of an active subwoofer.
But after using it for a week or so, i can say that it does not make much difference for the passive subwoofer.

The installation was a breeze as every cable and wire is color coded. I connected the Seagate Home theater+ media player through HDMI and played some DTS files. The quality of sound from this system, i can say to be very good. I would say, denon sounds better but at 25k i think its reasonable.The Receiver is rated at 110W/channel and for home use i found to to be more than sufficient. Other Pros which i found in this unit are the Dolby truHD and DTS-HD decoders.

The onkyo 3400 also has Dynamic EQ which optimizes the audio so that the detailing is not lost at very low volume.

As of the performance, this receiver will sound very professional as long as the source is either in DTS or Dolby. I personally feel DTS to sound better than Dolby in this receiver.

Playing MP3 is not much fun. The system has Music Optimizer which enhances low quality mp3s but the overall sound quality is mediocre.

Subwoofer:
The woofer does a nice job of creating nice rumbles in movies. Specially for missile blasts and earth quakes. But for playing MP3, it can become a big pain in the wrong place.

So, in all i can say that this system can be a good deal unless your expectations are too much.

Did you try the Audyssey auto-calibration? If yes, were the results as per your expectations?

I got the 3400 setup last week at my place thru a friend of mine. Yet to get the quote from him.

The Onkyo is right now connected to the TV thru set top box & DVD only. The movie output is very much good and it does not perform well for music. I still need to experience and do some trial/error with the settings and caliberation.

Initial impression were not wow, but i am yet to play my BD movies and its in the hard disk.

Please suggest a good Media Player to buy? It should be able to pass thru HD audio and Video - all format. I am thinking of buying Play ON HD. What is the diff betweeh HD and HD2?

I played exactly as you mentioned. But did not loose anything. It did not play FLAC for me until I upgraded the firmware. Check if you upgraded your firmware to current one (Ver 1.15 released on 30.01.2011)

Hi .. How do we check firmware ver for HTS-3400 & upgrade.. ??

Bought Onkyo HTS 3400 for Rs. 23,500 in Bangalore through AskBhai.

Now waiting for installation.

How should I get the firmware upgrade?

Hi
Just bought a Asus Media Player HDP-R1 Rs.4700/- Play my videos on HDD thru the media player thru the Onkyo, thru the TV, the media player is a little troublesome it takes time to load. Onkyo 3300 sounds good for movies but not so for music

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back