Onkyo HTS-3400 review please

i m getting onkyo hts 3400 for 27000/- in kolkata with a free universal logitech remote.

Are you buying it from Promises? They have also offered the same price to me. But mind it universal remote is not coming free. If you tell them you dont wanna take the remote they will bring down the price to 25k. So bargain.....

I have bought an HTS 3400 today from Vijay Sales, Borivali in Mumbai at 24990 - I asked them for the most competitive price, but instead of price reduction, the store gave me 50 movie DVD set from Samsung.

Will post the review and pics once it is set up.

yes, i think, we can upgrade firmware for usb based receiver. I don't see any usb port at 3400.
No that's not true.
There are other ways to upgrade the firmware. For example playing a wav file (which is the firmware) burnt to cd and connecting the CD player to the receiver via optical cable.

After a month or so with the HT-S3400, i can say that it is very good for movies and average for songs. It is capable to shake the floor of my apartment and the one above mine. But if we consider the audio quality for songs, the satellite speakers do a very nice job but the woofer is too boomy. I found that it does a very nice job for rumble effect but for songs we need tighter punch which this lacks.

@angynagpal: The 3400 has Audyssey Dynamic EQ which adjusts the various frequencies at different volume lever so that the details are not lost. I mean if v lower the volume, it will amplify certain frequencies like bass so that we get the most efficient listening experience. And as per best of my knowledge, this system is not capable to work with a calibration microphone.

hey guys... i bough onkyo 3400 for 23500 along with HDMI cable from its authorised show room in CR Park Delhi. the dealer in MGF gurgaon quoted me 24000 without cables. still setting it up and hooking it with my LED and TATA sky HD. What i have done as of now is connected HDMI from tata sky to AV and another HDMI from AV to TV. can anyone suggest me if it is fine. also do i need another optial / coaxial for audio to get 5.1 dolby or will my present setup do ?

hey guys... i bough onkyo 3400 for 23500 along with HDMI cable from its authorised show room in CR Park Delhi. the dealer in MGF gurgaon quoted me 24000 without cables. still setting it up and hooking it with my LED and TATA sky HD. What i have done as of now is connected HDMI from tata sky to AV and another HDMI from AV to TV. can anyone suggest me if it is fine. also do i need another optial / coaxial for audio to get 5.1 dolby or will my present setup do ?

u will need any coaxial or single rca cable to carry 5.1 signal from TATA HD to AVR. HDMI is not carrying 5.1 atm in tata box. then u need to do output setup at avr level.

After a month or so with the HT-S3400, i can say that it is very good for movies and average for songs. It is capable to shake the floor of my apartment and the one above mine. But if we consider the audio quality for songs, the satellite speakers do a very nice job but the woofer is too boomy. I found that it does a very nice job for rumble effect but for songs we need tighter punch which this lacks.

@angynagpal: The 3400 has Audyssey Dynamic EQ which adjusts the various frequencies at different volume lever so that the details are not lost. I mean if v lower the volume, it will amplify certain frequencies like bass so that we get the most efficient listening experience. And as per best of my knowledge, this system is not capable to work with a calibration microphone.

Hi experts,

Is there any other alternative brand in this price range which is good for both movies and songs ?

thanks

@Baiju - I was quoted 26k for the HTS 3400 here in Trivandrum.. I am yet to audition it, will let you know what i felt as soon as I do so.. So yes it is available in Kerala and yes the price as of now is 26k..

^^ 26k will be the mrp. Try to bargain hard. Members have bought this for as low as 22.5k. Do post your impressions.

I am looking for this one, how can I get a new one, searched in ebay, only one seller offering but he won't ship to eastern India, any dealer in Guwahati?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back