onkyo integra tx-sv919thx

arunkvivek

I have got hold of a used onkyo integra tx-sv919thx about the receiver It appears to an old warhorse. I bought it in Chennai and waiting for it to be shipped to my residence in Bangalore. This was the first model to be THX certified. It took a gamble of buying it although it is more than 15 years old. I was planning to use it as stereo amplifier.

While reading through the manual, I read that this can act as external amplifier for 5.1 inputs. I became greedy.:eek:hyeah:

I see two options:
  1. This model does not have DD or DTS decoder in it. It would amplify feeds from external decoder. However the catch is that it has a DB25 port for receiving the input from decoder. I am newbie to the audio world. I am planning to use RCA outs from my philips DVD player (which can decode DTS and DD) as source to the receiver. I am confused as to how to feeds in as I do not have RCA to DB25 cable. I saw websites in US selling these cables at 50-120$ per piece, I am not willing to spend so much money as I do not know how much juice is left on the receiver. I do not know if DB25 to RCA cables are available in Bangalore or India. Any suggestions?

• This model has pre-ins as well. However, it does not a input for SW. I do not know if when I plug in the RCA input from the player into Pre-Ins, I would get the pre-outs with discrete signals. Also, I am confused how the sub would be fed. Reading the manual confused me all the more. I would be glad if somebody could clarify.

I am heading out this weekend to pick up the receiver from Chennai. Hoping to have some suggestion to try.

@arunvivek

If you plan to use this as a stereo receiver then I guess it should be fine.
As for its AVR capabilities, it is dated for video switching and audio processing.

Coming to your Philips DVD player, does it have x.y pre-out? If so, then you may be able to use the Onkyo as an amp by connecting the corresponding in-outs. If the Philips has only RCA stereo out then the sound is already converted to 2 Channel audio.

DB-25 interface went obsolete a long time ago. Now it is all HDMI or at best digital audio jacks.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Not sure abt the DB25..

But looks like the AVR has Sub Pre-Out (Images from google).. It is next to the center channel pre-out...

Since there is no Sub Pre-in to plug-in SW RCA feed of dvd player, I am wondering what would feed the SW.

@arunvivek
Coming to your Philips DVD player, does it have x.y pre-out?

Yes it has 5.1 pre-out which I connect to Mercury 5.1 speakers. The pre-ins on the Amp has only 5 inputs. It does not have Pre-in slot for SW. I am wondering if my SW would go silent as it has no inputs. All this confusion because the AVR is in Chennai. I shall bring it down this week and settle the dust once for all.

Since there is no Sub Pre-in to plug-in SW RCA feed of dvd player, I am wondering what would feed the SW.

I am not sure if this might work.. But only a guesss..

If you have an option to set Subwoofer as No in your DVD player, the LFE will get directed to Front L & R out... Once it is received by your AVR, and if it has bass management, you can set the crossover for your subwoofer...

DVD player has 5.1 pre-out

send 5.0 from Philips to Onkyo and fiddle with bass management
send 0.1 from Philips to Sub

Onkyo is amplifying L/C/R/SL/SR
Sub is amplifying LFE

Cheers,
Raghu

I am not sure if this might work.. But only a guesss..

If you have an option to set Subwoofer as No in your DVD player, the LFE will get directed to Front L & R out... Once it is received by your AVR, and if it has bass management, you can set the crossover for your subwoofer...

Elango, It has bass management. There are two presets for cross over - low pass filter and high pass filter.

This is a busy week at work for me. I shall try you suggestions during the weekend.

send 5.0 from Philips to Onkyo and fiddle with bass management

Onkyo is amplifying L/C/R/SL/SR
Sub is amplifying LFE

Cheers,
Raghu

Raghu, Thanks for your suggestion! I feel that both your suggestion and Elango's suggestion would work. I shall try them during the weekend and let you know.

This wont control SW volume when AVR volume is changed . Every time
one has to check the volume level of SW to match rest speakers..
Only if DVDp has volume control for all channels(5.1).

Ok... I tried configuring the 5.1 setup using pre-ins. The discrete signals are transmitted to the respective speaker outs. However, the pre-in bypass the receiver.So, I do not get any volume control not even the master volume.:mad:

I have Onida DVD player which has a loud output. Even after reducing the volume to lowest level in both DVD player and the receiver, the speakers yell. I did all this in the midnight. I am sure to get a notice from flat association. One way to reign in the volume is by using an external pre amp (weird to use a pre- amp to control the audio volume). This would be expensive and I am not keen on it.

Other way to achieve this is to get a snake cable (DB25 to 6 RCA cable) and get the DB25 port to connect the external decoder slot on the receiver. This is a cheaper solution. However, the cable is not available in the market. I read this can be done through DIY. I need to see if somebody can do this for me in Bangalore.

For now, I have left the receiver for stereo output.

All these apart, this Onkyo receiver is really good on the stereo clarity. If I manage to get the snake cable, it would be best purchase ever made in life.

May be you can consider an used Onkyo DVD/Blu-ray player with pre-outs thru OLX/other sources...

I have seen that Onkyo components have RI ports- Remote interactive control.. So your DVD player/Bluray player will communicate with your AVR and i guess (not very sure) you use should be able to control volume...

Since Onkyo tx-sv919thx use jumpers from preout to prein, volume control is certainly bypassed. If DVD player has volume control for all channels,then you need to use it.

eumt15.jpg

@Elango - Right now I have no plans of buying a DVD player.
@Spirovious - My DVD player has volume controls but the lowest volume by itself too loud.

Right now, I am looking at the snake cable as only option. Need to head to JC road to see if I can find one. If not, will reach out to a local mechanic to get a DIY cable ready.

My DVD player has volume controls but the lowest volume by itself too loud.

You can try DIY passive level/volume control by using few resistors like this-

post 26 in below link
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...3-offical-pioneer-vsx-822k-owners-thread.html
http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/data/2292215/7/7d/7d17a84c_IMG_8048.jpeg

Here FM tried taking preout from AVR which had louder output.

Resistor value calculater-
T-Pad / H-Pad Calculator - Resistor Values for Attenuation

You can make similar between DVDp out and Onkyo input on raw PCB.
Please take other FM opinion too.

@spirovious - volume control DIY is too much science for me. I am heading to SP road to scavenge a spare snake cable this weekend.

I have a TX SV 909. My opinion is - it has a lot of bass. It seemed to drive my B&W PCS8/FCM8 to the point of making everything in the house rattle. Loose and wandering if you set it to over +6db. Under that, yea works well and sounds nice and plum.
Cool.
Srinath.

I have a TX SV 909. My opinion is - it has a lot of bass. It seemed to drive my B&W PCS8/FCM8 to the point of making everything in the house rattle. Loose and wandering if you set it to over +6db. Under that, yea works well and sounds nice and plum.
Cool.
Srinath.

Srinath,
I have Onida DVD player which is quite harsh in terms of output. I would have to replace it and then put the receiver back to test. Does your model require a snake cable as input for external decoder?

Thanks,
Arun

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back