Onkyo SR605 Help (US make)

planetavi

Hi Ive bought the Onkyo sr605 from US, (120v, 6.5A) then I bought the 1000watts stepdown transformer in India, but still my system is unable to play why?
when I turn it(Reciver) on, it shows the power on but goes off within a minute, is it because step down only generates 108V?

can anyone help me plz

Avi

it should not happen because.........

(1)Transformers and converters only convert the voltage, not the frequency. The difference in cycles may cause the motor in a 50 Hz appliance to operate slightly faster when used on 60 Hz electricity. This cycle difference will cause electric clocks and timing circuits to keep incorrect time: European alarm clocks will run faster on 60 Hz electricity and American clocks will lose some 10 minutes every hour when used in Europe. However, most modern electronic equipment like battery chargers, computers, printers, stereos, DVD players, etc. are usually not affected by the difference in cycles and adjust themselves accordingly the slower cycles.
(2)Why can only ?electric? appliances be used with a converter, and not ?electronic? ones ?

The difference between a converter and a transformer lies in how the device converts voltage current. Alternating current power is supplied in alternating bursts that are in a shape called a "sine wave". To reduce 230 V to 120 V, for example, a converter chops off the sine waves in half, whereas a transformer alters the amplitude of the waves. This is a critical difference because electronic devices require a full sine wave for operation. This is why they can only operate with a transformer. Electric appliances function with either a full or a half sine wave, so they can be used with either a converter or a transformer.

The converter's "chopping" off of sine waves is a relatively simple and compact function. The transformer's alteration of sine waves is a relatively sophisticated function and requires more space. As a result, transformers are generally larger, heavier and much more expensive than converters.

may be 120v is needed rather than 108v.

Hi, check the output voltage through a multimeter, it could be even cycle problem.

Anil.

Hi Ive bought the Onkyo sr605 from US, (120v, 6.5A) then I bought the 1000watts stepdown transformer in India, but still my system is unable to play why?
when I turn it(Reciver) on, it shows the power on but goes off within a minute, is it because step down only generates 108V?

can anyone help me plz

Avi

"The plugs and sockets used in US and india are only very rarely compatible, which makes it often necessary to replace the plug when you buy appliances abroad"............................so please cut the plug and put an indian plug and i think ur problem is solved

"when I turn it(Reciver) on, it shows the power on but goes off within a minute, is it because step down only generates 108V?"

I really dont get this one: Does it mean that you're able to play the unit for about a minute and then the system shuts down? or the system simply switches on and then OFF almost immediately?

Here are some tips:

- Is the power cord firmly plugged into the socket? Does your Power transformer provide standardized sockets that are compatible with your receiver's power plugs?

- If you've passed the above, then problem then lies with your power transformer unit. I wouldn't really comment much about the 108V because that's 90% of the rated input voltage which should be okay for most systems. However, the point to consider is whether this voltage remains constant or increases/decreases the tolerable limits.

- I do have a friend using a home theater receiver which was bought from the US and now being powered using a power transformer (step-down). Frequency should generally not be a problem because most appliances are rated as 50/60Hz.

- I would recommend you to try the receiver using a different power transformer unit or purchase from a branded company.

- You must also not rule out the possibility of some component touching the chasis causing some sort of short circuit, possibly triggering the protection circuit. You can't ignore such a possibility of impact during transport.

Maybe as a last resort, you would want to open up the box and check!

I will try and check if some components are touching the body,
about the Power which goes off ina minute means, when I turn on the Receiver, red light shows and when I click power on Remote it shows the display, and then display goes off, which makes the system go to standby.

do let me know if I'm missing something I haven't yet attached the speakers I was just trying to turn it on.

Contact local Onkyo guys, they know it better, surly they will help and even they may have a good source and spec to buy this stepdown transformer.
-sk

Not to scare you.. but here is a thread in avs forum..
Has your Onkyo 605/705/805/875/905 caught fire? - Page 6 - AVS Forum

Did you disconnect all your wires and tried powering it on just by itself?
sometimes, there could be a short in your speakers.

are you using the 4ohm-8ohm speaker range or is it different?

I think you have asystem reset button. did you try that?
Do keep us posted on how things are going in this front..
All the best....

Hey guys thanx for all te help, I happened to reconfigure them again yesterday, n they all worked fine.....I thing I think one open speaker cable was touching the Receiver...(short)

Ive got Klipsch Quintet III, need a suggestion to buy a Subwoofer any advice?

PlanetAVI,
May I ask if you have a NTSC TV? I own an SR-605 (North American Model) and see that it supports only NTSC signals. I would like to buy one in India that supports PAL, but I read here that the price seems to be Rs.40K. I could buy 3 in the US for that price!

How is your HT setup? Does a settop box (TatSky/Zee DTH) feed into your SR605? Do you have a NTSC-PAL converter in between?
Best,
Shapra

Hey guys thanx for all te help, I happened to reconfigure them again yesterday, n they all worked fine.....I thing I think one open speaker cable was touching the Receiver...(short)

Ive got Klipsch Quintet III, need a suggestion to buy a Subwoofer any advice?

Hi, I'm planning on either the 605 or the yamaha 663. The one thing that I keep hearing about Onkyo receivers are that they overheat? Are you encoutering any problem like this pl? Or maybe you haven't used it enough yet? thanks!

G

hi,

I am facing a similar issue. I have brought an Onkyo NR905 to India. I got a step down transformer made to handle 1KW load. The transformer is giving out less than 110V output.

I tried to switch on the amp through this transformer. I have no speakers or equipment connected to it. When I press the power button, the red light on the power button blinks & the system goes back to standby.

Please advice what to do.

Thanks,
Vik.

goose said:
Hi, I'm planning on either the 605 or the yamaha 663. The one thing that I keep hearing about Onkyo receivers are that they overheat? Are you encoutering any problem like this pl? Or maybe you haven't used it enough yet? thanks!

have been using an 875 for over six months. Yes, it does get hot even when it is on standby. What you have to do is the following:

1. Give it power from a separate wall unit, so that you can power off completely when not in use. Do not give it power from the same wall unit that gives power to your TV, DVD Player etc.

2. Use slightly higer A/c capacity in the room. Maybe 1.2 a ton more than specified.

3. Keep the AVR on the top most rack of an audio rack, if you have one. In other words, other than the bottom, all other sides must be open.

4. To be doubly safe, see if you can buy a cooling unit and place it on top of the unit. Such cooling units which is basically a board with a small fan inside, will be available in computer shops.

shangrila said:
I am facing a similar issue. I have brought an Onkyo NR905 to India. I got a step down transformer made to handle 1KW load. The transformer is giving out less than 110V output.

I tried to switch on the amp through this transformer. I have no speakers or equipment connected to it. When I press the power button, the red light on the power button blinks & the system goes back to standby.

Please advice what to do.

Vik:

110v should be enough. Though the 905 is specified as consuming 1000 watts, I would be happier with a transformer that is 1.5 KW at least.

(1)
Ensure your transformer is not tripping when there is load demand. You can get a electrician to confirm this for you. Better electricians have a external unit that have a external unit with a amanual switch by which they can set the demand on the transformer. This will increase this in steps to see how the transformer behaves.

(2)
The Onkyo series has a setting by which you can set off all display on the unit. The unit will continue to be working. This happens particularly when you are using two channel audio in 'Pure Direct' mode, as Onkyo cosiders even the display to be unnecessary for 2 channel audio. The unit will usually come on with the same settings you switched it off with.

Please read the manual carefully and ensure that this has not be triggered on by mistake. If so, set it off, and you will have all the display lights working.

(3)
Ensure that the batteries in your remote are in good condition. Sometime back I got a fright when the system will refuse to come on, till I realised the remote batteries were weak.

(4)
There is a way to reset button the unit. Use this and restart the unit. Before doing this remember, you have to set up the unit as if it is the first install. Use this as the last option.

Keep giving us feed back and I am sure we can resolve your issues.

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back