Onkyo TX-NR616 Pros & Cons

siddhu

Hello

I am planning to buy "Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2-Channel THX Select2 Plus Certified Network A/V Receiver".

Please any one tell me Pros & Cons about this product
Please tell me Home theater Speaker system that best suits for this receiver.

Thanks
Siddhu

I had 609 before. Please let me know your budget for AVR and also what is your
preference, I mean music or movies?

Renjith, Sujith is planning to source it from abroad in which case you can get it at this price

Onkyo TX NR 616 will cost you around INR 63,000/-. You may bargain if you are planning to buy 5.1 speaker package also.

Onkyo 616 has too many features and connectors and you won't use even 50% of them even after 2 years of usage.

The Best for you is to choose an HT Package like S3500 which may cost around 30K.

Onkyo receivers had HDMI issues last year with their 09 series. They must have fixed it by now in their 2013 products. Onkyo sound is always good.

For your Information :

Playing stereo music in A/V Receiver will be boring and sound will be flat. A 20,000/- Stereo Amplifier will easily beat an 100,000/- A/V receiver no matter what the brand is

Stay away from A/V receivers if your choice is clean stereo.

Siddhu,

616 is way to good for moview. Ensure you have proper power protection when u use.

Hi prasannaa...
Actually i am planning to buy 616 from abroad. we can get 616 at around 25K to 30K in abroad.

Hi Siddhu,

If you are getting the Onkyo from abroad, then you might as well get the TX-NR717 instead of the smaller TX-NR616.

Eventhough both models will satisfy your needs and are future-proof for a couple of years from now (4K upscaling, Internet Radio, etc.), the TX-NR717 has pre-outs that will enable you to add a multi-channel power amplifier should you need more power to drive your speakers. The 717 also has an IEC inlet that will allow you to change the power cable of your choice.

With the 616, you cannot add more power to the multi-channels, but can only add a 2-channel power amp for Zone 2.

Heyy.. Karthik
How u brought TX-NR616 to india?

Any transportation problem & Customs (Duties & Taxes)?

Last edited:
Playing stereo music in A/V Receiver will be boring and sound will be flat. A 20,000/- Stereo Amplifier will easily beat an 100,000/- A/V receiver no matter what the brand is

Completely disagree.

1. Playing music witha AVR will not sound dull or boring. (Depends on the AVR speakers/Source etc )

2. there are quite a few receivers in the 100k range than easily outperform a 20k stereo integrated

I bought brand new TX-NR616 for AED 1250 (Rs 17000) thru dubizzle Dubai Classifieds - Best place to rent a property, sell a car or find a job in Dubai and below Wharfedale 5.1 package for AED 650 (Rs 10000). AVR already shipped to India last month and m taking the speakers (50 kgs) in April.

1- Wharfedale Crystal 2-40 Tower speakers 150 Watts RMS - 1 pair
2- Wharfedale powecube 10+ Active subwoofer 150 watts RMS - 1 NO
3- wharfedale wh-1-1 Surround speakers 120 Watts RMS -1 pair
4- Wharfedale WH-1.1 Center speaker 150 Watts RMS - 1 No

Full set of high end cables (Turner Brand of USA). Gold plated plugs were freebies ....In this part of the world electronics items are dam cheap...

I bought brand new TX-NR616 for AED 1250 (Rs 17000) thru dubizzle Dubai Classifieds - Best place to rent a property, sell a car or find a job in Dubai and below Wharfedale 5.1 package for AED 650 (Rs 10000). AVR already shipped to India last month and m taking the speakers (50 kgs) in April.

1- Wharfedale Crystal 2-40 Tower speakers 150 Watts RMS - 1 pair
2- Wharfedale powecube 10+ Active subwoofer 150 watts RMS - 1 NO
3- wharfedale wh-1-1 Surround speakers 120 Watts RMS -1 pair
4- Wharfedale WH-1.1 Center speaker 150 Watts RMS - 1 No

Full set of high end cables (Turner Brand of USA). Gold plated plugs were freebies ....In this part of the world electronics items are dam cheap...
Is it like US craiglist or India OLX ? Can we also buy from this and use shopandship services . SNS offers Dubai services also . Hows the payment done and whats the reliability of items on this

Heyy.. Karthik
How u brought TX-NR616 to india?

Any transportation problem & Customs (Duties & Taxes)?

There was no customs or trouble from them. while scanning they asked "is that AVR?" i said yes. and then they didn't ask anything.

Last edited:
yes. similar like OLX. I audition them and ensure all items are in good reliable condition before purchase. this was steal deal...since i am frequent traveller , easy for me to buy and take it with me on each trip home. i am seriously planning to buy stuff from here and resell in india now...ha ha

616 reportedly has firmware issues, it does offer a lot for the money but whats the use if half of the things do not work. 717 does not suffer from any of the issues 616 has, so its a better buy if you can afford it.

Else Denon 1913 or 2113 are the ones to go for in my opinion. Denon seems to be more reliable as compared to onkyo off-late and offers better EQ.

616 reportedly has firmware issues, it does offer a lot for the money but whats the use if half of the things do not work. 717 does not suffer from any of the issues 616 has, so its a better buy if you can afford it.

Else Denon 1913 or 2113 are the ones to go for in my opinion. Denon seems to be more reliable as compared to onkyo off-late and offers better EQ.

Most FW issues are fixed with the Oct 12 firmware. Denon 2113 compares most directly to 616 in terms of features, but its priced about twice that of 616!

Back