Onkyo TX-SR505 & Onkyo TX-SR506 - Differences

dejavu007

I am really curious, the Onkyo TX-SR505 is being replaced by the Onkyo TX-SR506, and there is a good possiblity that one gets a better deal with the 505 now.

What are the essential differences between the 2 models? On the Onkyo India website, I cant see any HDMI slots on the AVR. Then I checked productwiki, and the 505 mentioned there seem to have HDMI slots. Its pretty confusing.

Would like to be enlightened. Thanks in advance.

The 506 has the following additional features:

• Music Optimizer for Compressed Music Files
  • Theater-Dimensional Virtual Surround Function
  • HDMI Pass-Thru* (1080p Compatible; 3 Inputs and 1 Output)
  • Audyssey Dynamic EQ for Loudness Correction
  • Bi-Amping Capability for Music and Movie Sound Effects

The 505 does not have HDMI.

Cheers

Thank you Venkat. Now its much clear. I guess it makes more sense to go with the 506 over the 505.

Its really nice to have someone like you in the forum. I guess you are based in Chennai. Why dont we have a HiFi Vision Chennai chatper meet some time soon? Would be fun.

Dejavu:

There is something about the Onkyo 506 that you need to be aware of.

There is an issue with the Onkyo's implementation of HDMI in the TX-SR506. What it does is 'pass through' all signals (audio and video) without any modification to the next unit in your AV chain which will be the TV. It does not process any of the signals which is understandable. But what is strange is that does not process the audio signal also. So to get audio on the speakers connected to the 506, in addition to the HDMI cable, you have to use a optical or a co-axial cable.

Depending upon which DVD player you buy, it might make more sense to connect the player directly to the TV through an HDMI, and use an optical cable to the AVR for audio processing.

This is strange behaviour on part of an AVR, but that is what the 506 seems to do.

Cheers

Venkat, that sure is strange in a way. 2 questions I have in that case...

• Is there an equivalent of the Onkyo 506 from some other manufacturer? How would they compare against the 506?
  • I have seen in other threads that the Onkyo AVRs get hot pretty soon, are the other brand AVRs also similar when it comes to heating up?

[*]Is there an equivalent of the Onkyo 506 from some other manufacturer? How would they compare against the 506?

You have the following models:

• Denon 1509 and 1709. Unfortunately both seem to have the HDMI video pass through. Only an actual demo (after checking connections at back) will ensure whether they process audio through the HDMI.
  • Yamaha RX-V 563. This has 1080P compatible HDMI. Though it does not scale, it seems capable of processing audio through the HDMI. This has to be confirmed.
  • Marantz SR 4003. This does what is called HDMI switching (3in/1out). What this means is that irrespective of which HDMI in you use, it will send all signals to the single HDMI out. But does is process the sound is a question mark.

Are you ready to look one model up? Then the Onkyo 606, Denon 1909, and the Yamaha 863 are serious contenders.

I have seen in other threads that the Onkyo AVRs get hot pretty soon, are the other brand AVRs also similar when it comes to heating up?

All AVRS get hot in some time. The heating in Onkyo is a bit more because of it's unique amplifier technology. But it is not something to worry about. I use the Onkyo for extended time without any hassles. You have to use a A/c, of course.

Cheers

I will also have a look at the 606 in that case. Regarding the heating up of the AVR, in case I have the setup in the hall, I dont have an AC there. How would this affect things? How long would I be able to run the AVR in this case? Would it be advisable at all?

in case I have the setup in the hall, I dont have an AC there. How would this affect things? How long would I be able to run the AVR in this case? Would it be advisable at all?

There are what are called laptop coolers available. These are thin boxes in the size of laptop that have a quite fan inside. Keep this on top of the AVR and you should be able to use it for a few hours without any problem. In the hot summer months of June-August, you have to be a bit careful, though. Also check with the dealer before buying.

Cheers

Man, its not as easy as I thought it would be. I cant invest in an AC and run it all the time when the AVR is on. The companies should look at making AVRs for tropical climates :).

I would say you should put the AVR off for an hour or so, for every 3 to 4 hours of usage. I am only worried about the hot summer months. Sep to Feb/March, you will have no issues.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat. It is pretty sad though, that with all these technological advances, they have not been able to find an in-built solution for this problem.

The 506 has the following additional features:

• Music Optimizer for Compressed Music Files
  • Theater-Dimensional Virtual Surround Function
  • HDMI Pass-Thru* (1080p Compatible; 3 Inputs and 1 Output)
  • Audyssey Dynamic EQ for Loudness Correction
  • Bi-Amping Capability for Music and Movie Sound Effects

The 505 does not have HDMI.

Cheers

i have an offer of onkyo TX-SR505 + onkyo speakers HTP-L50 for 27K. i understand the speakers sre weak n want to negotiate only for AVR. my interest is mainly music if 505 is a old model whats the best price i can offer for it. whats HDMI, how does it matter if its not there n how old 505 model and is it still selling in market. can u kindly clarify. i am bit novice in this field n pl dont mind if my query is basic

Pretty expensive if you ask me. You could get the 506 and Pure Acoustics 5 speakers + an Onkyo Subwoofer for less than 35k. 505 is a previous generation model and as mentioned earlier, does not have HDMI or other features mentioned earlier. The ideal price for what you have been offered would be around 22k.

Guys

Just for your info, the Denon AVR 1509 and 1709 only have HDMI pass-through (switching) and DO NOT process audio thru HDMI. Only from Denon 1909 onwards, HD audio processing thru HDMI becomes available.

Most entry level A/V receivers I have observed, do not have audio processing thru HDMI. They have only HDMI switching - 3 inputs and 1 output etc. Some rare Yamaha units are exceptions, but their sound quality can't match that of Denon or Onkyo at that level.

Did some research on the internet to come up with this information for you guys. Sorry for posting so late !! This forum doesn't open up at my office !! :)

Warm regards,
Venkat

My interest is mainly music if 505 is a old model whats the best price i can offer for it. whats HDMI, how does it matter if its not there n how old 505 model and is it still selling in market. can u kindly clarify. i am bit novice in this field n pl dont mind if my query is basic

Rao, this has been discussed many many times, but if your interest is mainly music, why are looking at an AVR? Entry level AVRs such as the 505 are good for HT use, and not for music.

HDMI is short for High Definition Multimedia Interface. Please check the following link for a detailed explanation of all connectivity.

http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-cables/2608-avr-connectivity.html

There are certain new signals such as Dolby/DTS HD and LPCM that can be transmitted only through HDMI.

Cheers

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back