Oppo BDP-83 .... - bluray disc player

But to copy 10 GB+ mkv file in a pendrive, whether a 16 GB pendrive will be adequate or I have to purchase a 32 GB pendrive.

How I should format my pendrive so that there will not be any file size restriction while copying mkv file?

16 or 32 is your choice. If you are going to do this regularly, either get a laaaarge pen drive or see if your BD 83 can read external drives. The BD 80, BTW, does not understand anything other than FAT32, so you cannot play MKV files on that. I have not tried the 83.

If you file size is larger than 4GB, you have to format the drive as NTFS.

Cheers

I have successfully played mkv files on my oppo bdp-83. the file was on a pen drive & was about 200 or 300 MB in size. Initially I had problem & the file didn't play properly - colours were not seen properly & output was blocky. but then i downloaded the firmware upgrade file from oppo's website & upgraded the firmware to the latest one using my pen drive. then i played the mkv file & it played flawlessly.

y'day i connected my WD 750 gb external hard drive & the oppo played files from those also without any hitch.

hope this helps

Arvind

y'day i connected my WD 750 gb external hard drive & the oppo played files from those also without any hitch.

What was the format of the HDD and what was the size of the MKV files? MKV as a format is OK, but the size matters to many players.

Cheers

What was the format of the HDD and what was the size of the MKV files? MKV as a format is OK, but the size matters to many players.

Cheers

My WD external hard drive (750 GB) is in fat32 format. I played the mkv file from my pen drive & it was 274 MB in size (just one song)

Thanks Venkat, EthenHunt and Arvind for sharing your experience. I checked with Oppo BD-83 manual, and it says clearly that it can not play NTFS formatted USB device. So playing large .mkv files in BD-83 will not be possible.:sad:

Is there any way out?

Otherwise, I have to upgrade my PC gfx card to a decent one with HDMI (HD5770 or GTS 450 or GTX 460) and connect my TV with the gfx card HDMI. Luckily my TV is around 1.5 M away from my desktop CPU.

But will I get the audio also through gfx card HDMI port?

I want to play .mkv files in my Panny 42V20D plasma. The mkv files are in my desktop PC. For playing these mkv files I have thought of two options:

Why dont you download a DLNA server like Tversity and connect the laptop to the player using a network cable. I have played upto 20 GB files using this method.

Thanks Maniac, it makes sense. Can you suggest a good 'splitter' software?

Does not really make much sense to me for videos. The effort of splitting and playing will become a thing of the past with more and more media players coming in, and HTPC's becoming cheaper.

Cheers

My WD external hard drive (750 GB) is in fat32 format. I played the mkv file from my pen drive & it was 274 MB in size (just one song)

Just as I suspected and confirmed by Amit. The Oppo 83 has the same limitations as the BD 80.

Cheers

BDP 83 cannot understand NTFS formatted harddrives, but its also capable of playing any size of MKV file through the network. Amit Ji I suggest you to first upgrade the firmware of your player and then connect it via a network cable to either your PC or your router. In case if you directly connect it to your PC then do remember to assign the IP addresses manually to both Oppo as well as your PC lan card.
Now install a software like teversity in your PC and then you should share the folder which has all your Movies and Music, and now you can browse everything via the Home Screen onto your Oppo and Play any file via the network errespective of its size.

Today I found OppoBDP83 @ Lakozy & found that Lakozy started distributing on order.
Dont get exited as price was given as Rs.1.6lakhs :eek:
Reason given was-
Its regionfree,its faster than standard 83(It actually loaded fast though),
Nuforce & oppo working together(Nuforce logo on Rt.side of player seen)
no...oppo93 with multi region kit priced 55k only in Lakozy Audio Imagination

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back