Oppo BDP-83 .... - bluray disc player

Dear Pratters,

There are three oppo blu ray players - the 80, 83 and 83 SE.
The 80 is the basic model is similar to the 83 but does not primarily have a separate circuitry for stereo and does not have the anchor Bay chip for upscaling. It is also encased in a plastic body as compared to the aluminum body of 83, there is a separate thread of differences between the two.

The 83 SE has an upgraded audio circuitry with better DAC, better circuits and a better clock. For video, the two are exactly the same.

For mods, I had bought from bluraychip, and the experience was great, but I heard gobble had some issues. JVB digitals is another popular site for obtaining mods.

For the mod kit, if you are buying the oppo with rs232 then buy the mod kit for the same, else buy the std. one.

Cheapest would be to buy from Amazon and ship through Borderlinks or have your brother get it :)

I registered a new account on amazon. The item is to be despatched the the US. Will the billing address be the same or do I write the Indian address for the billing address?

I think my paypal payment was blocked, nothing to do with the supplier of goods.

Is paypal from India working now?

It is also encased in a plastic body as compared to the aluminum body of 83,
Small correction, body is aluminium in both the players but the faceplate in the 80 is made of plastic (finishing looks like metal though). Also 83 is much bigger in size.
Unless someone wants to play Upscaled DVD's on a large screen there won't be much difference between these two players I guess.

What is the cheapest way to import oppo to India? Which site?

Check www.shopyourworld.com

Unit Price: Rs 29,500.00 (Estimated:USD 634.32)

Customs Duty: Rs 7,462.44 (Estimated:USD 160.46)

All prices shown at the Merchants site includes Product Price + Shipping & Handling charges + Insurance.*
Custom Duties, Taxes and Processing Charges are shown in the Shopping Cart and will only be added when you proceed to checkout. The total amount shown at checkout will be your Fixed Landed Price (FLP).*

What the heck is so great about this player that isn't in the 150-200$ Bluray players?

Nothing much. The SQ is not audiophile quality. Today BDPs are available for $200 that give good PQ. I think this wasn't the case when the Oppo became famous as a brand. For the extra $$ you get a firmware update every few months that adds support more HD formats and fixes issues with playing them if any. If you get a Sony or Panny, you may be stuck with whatever features (or crippling issues) were released at the time of purchase for the next 5 years.

Cheers

Nothing much. The SQ is not audiophile quality. Today BDPs are available for $200 that give good PQ. I think this wasn't the case when the Oppo became famous as a brand. For the extra $$ you get a firmware update every few months that adds support more HD formats and fixes issues with playing them if any. If you get a Sony or Panny, you may be stuck with whatever features (or crippling issues) were released at the time of purchase for the next 5 years.

Cheers

According to the user comments on the Sony Bluray Players on Amazon, it seems that they do release various updates time and again... Plus it's an optical type drive and we all know how reliable those are over the long term in dusty environments- support is very likely be required.

I think my paypal payment was blocked, nothing to do with the supplier of goods.

Is paypal from India working now?

yes. (if u supply your PAN number to Paypal).

used it just 2 weeks ago for ordering CISS system for canon ip4200 inkjet printer from Hongkong.

giddavr

anyplace in Delhi where one can check out the Oppo BD83 ?
Who is the dealer/importer?
What's the price ?
Is the player multi region (for DVDs) and all zone (for Blu Ray) ?

anyplace in Delhi where one can check out the Oppo BD83 ? Who is the dealer/importer? What's the price ?

There is no dealer for Oppo in India. Though Sound of Music from Delhi were importing the Oppo DVD Players, they do not import and sell the BD players any more.

The price is as shown in the site + transportation and customs.

The player can be made multi region for DVD and for BD by adding a small modification chip that is available separately.

Regarding auditioning, please contact a HFV member who has one and visist his house.

Cheers

Guys.. one question.. I bought Oppo-83.. I looked up in FAQs and it plays files and network streaming in Experiment mode.. It DOES NOT support a few format files

Does it make sense to buy WD TV Live? Valuable comments please.

Formats supported:
avi
divx
gif
jpg
mka
mkv
mp3
mpg
png
vob
wma
These file types are NOT currently supported:
3gp
ac3
bmp
dts
fla
flv
m4v
mlp
mov
mp4
mpc
m2ts (except in AVCHD directories)
ogg
ogm
tif
ts
pcx
wav
wmv

Last edited:
In network streaming you can get most formats to work. I use asset upnp for audio and tversity for video and get them to play. for formats not natively supported you can get them transcoded to a format that oppo will understand and get it to play.

anyplace in Delhi where one can check out the Oppo BD83 ?
Who is the dealer/importer?
What's the price ?

Currently someone in Chennai is importing BDP-83 but they are selling it for insane prices,whereas if you have somebody in US or have a borderlinx account then you can buy the same directly through Oppo US.

You can make it multiregion for both Blu Rays and DVDs by installing the hard mod kit in it which takes just couple of minutes and lot of us here have done that with our players.

For the demo I might be able to help you out once my store is up and running in another month.

In network streaming you can get most formats to work. I use asset upnp for audio and tversity for video and get them to play. for formats not natively supported you can get them transcoded to a format that oppo will understand and get it to play.

Buddy, were you able to play MKV files using Oppo BDP-83? Does it have a file size limit? Does it seek or does it start from beginning if we try to skip few minutes back or forth? My questions was if it will suffice or does it make sense to purchase a **separate** media player like the WDTV Live to play AVI files etc.

Last edited:
Buddy, were you able to play MKV files using Oppo BDP-83? Does it have a file size limit? Does it seek or does it start from beginning if we try to skip few minutes back or forth? My questions was if it will suffice or does it make sense to purchase a **separate** media player like the WDTV Live to play AVI files etc.

Yes, the oppo plays formats like mkv/avi. I use Tversity for video streaming. There were some issues after the latest firmware (May) when the network streaming stopped working but the newer versions of the software (Tversity) seem to work out of the box.

There are no size limits, I have played 25gb files, the network can be your bottleneck. Also, if you are doing transcoding on the fly, then make sure that your computer is fast enough.

WDTV as discussed earlier has its advantages in terms of convenience, its truly plug and play and consumes lesser power.

The software method of DLNA needs a desktop/laptop on and needs tweaking to get it working.

The advantage of the oppo is a much better upscaler most mkv's come in real odd resolution formats so a good upscaler/convertor helps in giving the best possible picture.

Also, the oppo will decode hd audio which afaik the wdtv or similar (other than the PCH) will only passthrough.

Yes, the oppo plays formats like mkv/avi. I use Tversity for video streaming. There were some issues after the latest firmware (May) when the network streaming stopped working but the newer versions of the software (Tversity) seem to work out of the box.

There are no size limits, I have played 25gb files, the network can be your bottleneck. Also, if you are doing transcoding on the fly, then make sure that your computer is fast enough.

WDTV as discussed earlier has its advantages in terms of convenience, its truly plug and play and consumes lesser power.

The software method of DLNA needs a desktop/laptop on and needs tweaking to get it working.

The advantage of the oppo is a much better upscaler most mkv's come in real odd resolution formats so a good upscaler/convertor helps in giving the best possible picture.

Also, the oppo will decode hd audio which afaik the wdtv or similar (other than the PCH) will only passthrough.

sud, thanks for the reply. I have WRT54G2 Wireless-G Broadband Router.. will this work for network support? ( I mean will the speed be enough? I intend to use with wired connection). I am pasting it's description from Amazon :

The Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router is really three devices in one box. First, there`s the Wireless Access Point, which lets you connect both screaming fast Wireless-G (802.11g at 54Mbps) and Wireless-B (802.11b at 11Mbps) devices to the network. There`s also a built-in 4-port full-duplex 10/100 Switch to connect your wired-Ethernet devices together. Connect four PCs directly, or attach more hubs and switches to create as big a network as you need. Finally, the Router function ties it all together and lets your whole network share a high-speed cable or DSL Internet connection.....

Back