Oppo BDP-83 .... - bluray disc player

Quick Q. How is the BD-80 or 83 rated as an audio transport? Is it worthwhile with an external DAC or is it an ordinary one that promises nothing great in audiophile terms?

Regards

Mr

I am planning to pick up an OPPO 83 from USA next month,and then have it modifed by either purchasing the kit from JVB Digital or from another suggested website viz www.blueraychip.dk.

It will be appreciated if someone could guide me

Punra

As an audio transport it is rated very high. There is not much difference from a transport perspective between the 80 and 83 as they allow a source direct option.

The DAC quality in the 83 is the same as the Cambridge CD player so if you add a better external DAC then it would be worth it. The SE has pretty high quality DAC's so if you are willing to add a DAC for 10-15k Rs, it might be better to go with the 83SE.

The audio capabilities have been discussed threadbare in AVSforum as it has a dedicated section on this.

As an audio transport it is rated very high. There is not much difference from a transport perspective between the 80 and 83 as they allow a source direct option.

The DAC quality in the 83 is the same as the Cambridge CD player so if you add a better external DAC then it would be worth it. The SE has pretty high quality DAC's so if you are willing to add a DAC for 10-15k Rs, it might be better to go with the 83SE.

The audio capabilities have been discussed threadbare in AVSforum as it has a dedicated section on this.

I mean is it as good as the one that makes the JVC RC-EZ31 boombox a great modders delight?

Regards

I have found a link for OPPO BDP-83 @ 170$....

OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player with SACD & DVD-Audio-Blu-ray Disc Players-DVD & GPS Players-www.ebuaoun.com

Not sure how authentic is this site most of the products seems to be priced quiet nicely.....

Thanks
Kittu :rolleyes:

There are tell tale signs that this is a fly by night site:

1. Contact us page lists only [email protected] and [email protected] as the only means of contact
2. They do not accept credit card payments. Only bank wire transfer, western union & moneygram are accepted. Easier to take your money and scoot
3. Usage of language. Just read through the site notice: "we build up our company and sell laptops, mobiles, TV, digital cameras, digital videos, MP3 and MP4 players, GPS, Motorcycles, Cars, VideoGames......We keep the oldschool items...". Which sensible site has such messages in the home page, and what the heck is an oldschool item? And at least I have not come across a site that sells motorcycles and cars directly online
4. Another example from their FAQs section:
How do I track my purchase?

You will receive an email with tracking information after icebees ships the package. The following is a list of the international shipping methods available at Icebees that provide tracking services:...

Now who's icebees?

My advice to you and other members is - STAY AWAY from this site. There are many such sites in the Internet (a lot of them from China) and one only needs to use a bit of common sense to make out these fake sites from real ones.

Tell me more regarding the mod kit please. Which are the different types of mod kits available, where do I buy it from and how to do the actual modding? Is the mod kit available in India?

Has any one on the forum done the modding and has a region free Oppo 83?

I have found a link for OPPO BDP-83 @ 170$....

OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player with SACD & DVD-Audio-Blu-ray Disc Players-DVD & GPS Players-www.ebuaoun.com

Not sure how authentic is this site most of the products seems to be priced quiet nicely.....

Thanks
Kittu :rolleyes:

:eek:hyeah: ........ROFL.... Notice the english on that site ... in "About Us" section.. that's surely a fake site..

----------------------------------------

If you share shopping with us here, you will find that is a perfect experience. because all of workers in our company must keep a rule with them: first , each customer is our god. Second, if customer is wrong, please obey the first rule. In other words, we will try our best to meet customers' all reasonable demand.

:clapping:The shoppings that register the member of our company in our company all can enjoy a special service! If you show interest in our items, if you are looking for a good supplier, if you are searching goods which are best quality but wonderful price, please don't hesitate to contact here.

Our belief: credit is the first, customers are our god. :clapping:

Is anyone using the oppo in a media streaming mode?

I have currently got it working using Tversity for movies and mp3 but unable to do so for wav files.

hi,

Got my Oppo BDP-83 with hard mod done and it is awesome.
The loading time of the disc for the region 3 bd's is slow and takes quite some time but once loaded it is smooth.

Is anyone using the oppo in a media streaming mode?

I have currently got it working using Tversity for movies and mp3 but unable to do so for wav files.

So you are saying wireless streaming works but not WAV? DoWAV files work from USB?

Regards

@Spirovious: thanks and it was mod'ed in US by systematiq for 100$.But i had opened the system just to check if i cld reverse it in case of any problems.Seems like easy way to reverse it if required.Updated the latest firmware did not have any issues with the region unlocking after that.

So you are saying wireless streaming works but not WAV? DoWAV files work from USB?

Regards

yes for wireless streaming for avi/mkv/mp3/xvid etc but no wav or flac

No, wav files do not work with USB, but I am setting it for transcoding before sending it to the player. Maybe my settings are incorrect, need to debug the Tversity settings.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back