Oppo BDP-83 .... - bluray disc player

The initial test versions of BD83 are going to be released to early birds who have booked the players. Here are some interesting snaps of the player.

Engadget HD

Cheers

OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player

Preliminary Features (Subject to Change)

Complete Media Support:

* Blu-ray Disc - The high definition Blu-ray Disc format provides pristine video and audio quality for your home entertainment.
* BonusVIEW - BD "Profile 1.1" enables "picture-in-picture" and secondary audio features for viewing director or actor commentary while the main movie is playing.
* BD-Live - The BDP-83 support BD "Profile 2.0" and contains all necessary hardware - audio/video decoder, Ethernet port, and 1GB of internal storage - for BD-Live.
* DVD Up-Conversion - The BDP-83 uses the same VRS by Anchor Bay (DVDO) de-interlacing and scaling technology as in our award-winning DV-983H DVD player. The up-converted picture quality bridges the visual gap from your current DVD library to Blu-ray discs.
* DVD-Audio - The BDP-83 plays DVD-Audio and supports both stereo and multi-channel high resolution audio programs. Users can select whether to play the DVD-Audio or the DVD-Video portion of the disc.
* SACD - The BDP-83 plays Super Audio CD (SACD) and supports both stereo and multi-channel high resolution audio programs. Users can select whether to output the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) signal in its native format or convert it into PCM.
* Additional Media Formats - Additional disc and file formats, such as audio CD, Kodak Picture CD, AVCHD, MKV, and other audio/video/picture files on recorded discs or USB drives can be played back on the BDP-83.

Unparalleled Video Quality:

* VRS by Anchor Bay - The BDP-83 incorporates Anchor Bay's award-winning Video Reference Series (VRS) technology, and delivers a picture that is cleaner, smoother, true-to-life and free of artifacts.
* Full HD 1080p Output - The BDP-83 features user selectable video output resolutions, including 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and up to 1080p 50 or 60Hz.
* True 24p Video - Many Blu-ray Discs are recorded at 24 frames per second, the same frame rate as the original movie's theatrical release. The BDP-83 can faithfully redeliver the original frames using 1080p 24Hz output (compatible display required) for smoother motion and a flicker-free, film-like home theater experience. It can also restore the original 24 frames per second progressive-scan video from well-authored DVDs and output as 1080p 24Hz.
* Source Direct Mode - For users who wish to use an external video processor, high-end audio/video receiver or display, the BDP-83 offers a "Source Direct" mode. The original audio/video content on the discs is sent out with no additional processing or alteration.
* Multiple Zoom Modes - The BDP-83 supports multiple levels of aspect ratio control and image zooming, including a vertical stretch mode for customers with a 2.35:1 CIH (Constant Image Height) display system.
* HDMI - HDMI is an all digital interface for the cleanest possible connection. It delivers high-quality digital video and audio through a single cable. The BDP-83 features an HDMI v1.3 output with 30-bit and 36-bit Deep Color support.

High Fidelity Audio:

* Dolby TrueHD - Dolby TrueHD delivers lossless studio master quality audio designed specifically for high definition entertainment. The BDP-83 supports bit-stream output of Dolby TrueHD via its HDMI 1.3 output. It can also internally decode Dolby TrueHD into LPCM and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analog audio output terminals. Other varieties of Dolby Digital audio formats are also supported.
* DTS-HD - DTS-HD delivers up to 7.1 channels of surround sound and audio that is indistinguishable from (DTS-HD High Resolution) or identical to (DTS-HD Master Audio) the original studio master. The BDP-83 supports bit-stream output and internal decoding of DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio. Other varieties of DTS audio formats are also supported.
* 7.1-Channel Analog Output - Individual analog 7.1-channel surround outputs are ideal to connect to a 7.1-channel or 5.1-channel surround sound system. The BDP-83 delivers an incredible sound stage and an immersive surround experience.
* Dedicated Stereo Output - The BDP-83 features a dedicated 2-channel analog output with specially optimized Digital-to-Analog Converters and output driving stage.
* Digital Optical and Coaxial Outputs - For simple and easy connection to more traditional A/V receivers, the BDP-83 features both optical and coaxial outputs for digital audio.

Ultimate Convenience:

* Dual USB Ports - Two USB 2.0 high speed ports are provided, one on the front panel and one on the back. Users can enjoy high definition video, high resolution photos and music directly from their USB drives.
* PAL/NTSC Conversion - The BDP-83 supports NTSC and PAL systems for both disc playback and video output. It can also convert content of one system for output in another. (Subject to DVD and BD region restrictions.)
* Back-lit Remote Control - The BDP-83 comes with a fully back-lit remote control for ease of use in dark home theaters. With its ergonomic button layout and clear labeling, operating the Blu-ray Disc player is easier than ever.
* Universal Power Supply - The BDP-83 features a wide-range world power supply that is compatible with the AC power of all regions. No worries about damaging the player due to incorrect power voltage.
* External IR - For integration into home theater control systems, the BDP-83 provides external IR remote IN and OUT ports.
* RS232 Control (optional) - For custom installation, the RS232 control option can be special-ordered at an additional cost.
* HDMI CEC - HDMI Consumer Electronics Control simplifies the home theater by allowing a single remote control to operate multiple devices.

I have been eyeing it for a while now, but feel it will be prohibitively priced initially. In terms of performance though it will be hard to beat handling all media formats and having used the 983 I know the upscaling will be great even for SD content.

OK. BTW it seems 980 plays SACD better than 983.

I only have 983 and no SACD discs. Also, never tested the Oppo for its SQ, have always taken digital out to the AVR even for movies. Got it mainly for upscaling my DVDs, Divx rips and on that front it has no parallel. I do think the 980 has a better audio chip hence its audio is better.

Any idea when the Oppo Blu-Ray player is going to hit the market?

I heard that it's launched in US, not sure, as their website says not yet launched.
And it can't be made region free I think.

Last edited:
I heard that it's launched in US, not sure, as their website says not yet launched.
And it can't be made region free I think.

Yup, Blu-Ray is having some additional security that's not cracked yet. Even PS3 cannot be made region free and what's more they have put in live updates in Blu-Ray devices that updates the firmware and security features too.

Following the Oppo link that reju posted, it appears that Oppo is offering the BDP-83 @499 $ to participants in their EAP programme, hence there is a fair chance that it may be the final price when they do a full commercial launch.
Re the region free issue, several members of the EAP programme have requested Oppo to make it openly region free, on the grounds that companies like Samsung,pioneer etc have already done so with their Blu Ray players(Several of the EAP members possess those players also), hence there is a good chance they may do the same ,covertly, if not ostensibly.
The feedback from the participants in the EAP programme is overwhelmingly enthusiastic, that this is a great all-in-one Player-Blu Ray/DVDupscaling(they are using the same VRS Anchor Bay chip for Upscaling as in the DVD 983 player)& audio Playback-stereo & 7.1.Several of the EAP participants have stated that this player has the best Audio playback capabilities of all the Oppo offerings so far.It wuld be interesting to read the reviews of professionals when this player is finally launched & avaailable for evaluation by them.
If they indeed stick to the $ 499 price point, there sure would be a long, long queue!

For USD 500 it would be a steal for all that it can do. Of course reaching our shores the customs, freight, etc. will take their toll on this great price and might even cost twice...

Following the Oppo link that reju posted, it appears that Oppo is offering the BDP-83 @499 $ to participants in their EAP programme, hence there is a fair chance that it may be the final price when they do a full commercial launch.
Re the region free issue, several members of the EAP programme have requested Oppo to make it openly region free, on the grounds that companies like Samsung,pioneer etc have already done so with their Blu Ray players(Several of the EAP members possess those players also), hence there is a good chance they may do the same ,covertly, if not ostensibly.
The feedback from the participants in the EAP programme is overwhelmingly enthusiastic, that this is a great all-in-one Player-Blu Ray/DVDupscaling(they are using the same VRS Anchor Bay chip for Upscaling as in the DVD 983 player)& audio Playback-stereo & 7.1.Several of the EAP participants have stated that this player has the best Audio playback capabilities of all the Oppo offerings so far.It wuld be interesting to read the reviews of professionals when this player is finally launched & avaailable for evaluation by them.
If they indeed stick to the $ 499 price point, there sure would be a long, long queue!

For USD 500 it would be a steal for all that it can do. Of course reaching our shores the customs, freight, etc. will take their toll on this great price and might even cost twice...
Right.
So those Bhaiyya/Bhabhi's/Chacha/chachis returning from abroad will have to be sucked up to....!

Right.
So those Bhaiyya/Bhabhi's/Chacha/chachis returning from abroad will have to be sucked up to....!

Ha ha. I have it planned out. My SIL is coming at the end of the year and MIL around October. If its available by then and the price is right will get it. I don't really need it for Blu-Ray content, but I need it more to play MKV rips. If its really 500 USD then great, will not need to think twice at that price. Beats every other player in terms of PQ, will beat most budget CDPs and yet be future ready and firmware upgradeable with Blu-Ray Live.

Ha ha. I have it planned out. My SIL is coming at the end of the year and MIL around October. If its available by then and the price is right will get it. I don't really need it for Blu-Ray content, but I need it more to play MKV rips. If its really 500 USD then great, will not need to think twice at that price. Beats every other player in terms of PQ, will beat most budget CDPs and yet be future ready and firmware upgradeable with Blu-Ray Live.

But who told you it it will play MKVs?? And were you planning it for yourself or someone else?:rolleyes:

But who told you it it will play MKVs?? And were you planning it for yourself or someone else?:rolleyes:

For myself.

Additional Media Formats - Additional disc and file formats, such as audio CD, Kodak Picture CD, AVCHD, MKV, and other audio/video/picture files on recorded discs or USB drives can be played back on the BDP-83.

MKV is listed in formats from OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player.

For myself.

Additional Media Formats - Additional disc and file formats, such as audio CD, Kodak Picture CD, AVCHD, MKV, and other audio/video/picture files on recorded discs or USB drives can be played back on the BDP-83.

MKV is listed in formats from OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player.

I find it hard to believe!!:eek: I had missed this "feature" as they have mentioned it so casually, while you and me consider it as the USP!! Maybe because they do not want want to attract any attention from legal front??

Is it finally happening? All my efforts of burning 600+ MKVs on DVDs discs are going to pay off? I still find it hard to believe!!

Oh my God, this player is going to sell like hot cakes!!:clapping:

Relax Reju relax! Yes it is happening. Just need to make sure its Indian voltage compliant and the cost is around USD 500. Yes it will sell like hot cakes. In fact ever since this model was announced I was eagerly awaiting it and even packed off my 983 to my brother who listens to Audio CDs on it now.

I find it hard to believe!!:eek: I had missed this "feature" as they have mentioned it so casually, while you and me consider it as the USP!! Maybe because they do not want want to attract any attention from legal front??

Is it finally happening? All my efforts of burning 600+ MKVs on DVDs discs are going to pay off? I still find it hard to believe!!

Oh my God, this player is going to sell like hot cakes!!:clapping:

Relax Reju relax! Yes it is happening. Just need to make sure its Indian voltage compliant and the cost is around USD 500. Yes it will sell like hot cakes. In fact ever since this model was announced I was eagerly awaiting it and even packed off my 983 to my brother who listens to Audio CDs on it now.

he he, today you're out to make everyone "relax".;)

If you buy in US, most probably it will be 110V.

Their preliminary user manual does not mention a word of MKV. But since this "preliminary" manual, I will keep my fingers crossed. But I am getting a big doubt now....

The manual also says that it cannot play DVD-A. Hey I have about 50+ DVD-A discs now. I will never buy this without DVD-A.

Last edited:
My thinking was a standard DVDP will play DVD-A since the files are stored in the audio folder instead of the video folder where the movies are stored. Is that not so?

If you buy in US, most probably it will be 120V.

Their preliminary user manual does not mention a word of MKV. But since this "preliminary" manual, I will keep my fingers crossed.

The manual also says that it cannot play DVD-A. Hey I have about 50+ DVD-A discs now. I will never buy this without DVD-A.

BTW, DVD-Audio too is listed among the formats it will play and SACD too.

If you buy in US, most probably it will be 110V.

Their preliminary user manual does not mention a word of MKV. But since this "preliminary" manual, I will keep my fingers crossed. But I am getting a big doubt now....

My thinking was a standard DVDP will play DVD-A since the files are stored in the audio folder instead of the video folder where the movies are stored. Is that not so?

From a DVD-A disc, a standard DVDp can play only NON high resolution audio, and videos if any.

From a DVD-A disc, a standard DVDp can play only NON high resolution audio, and videos if any.

Like from a SACD a regular CDP will only read the Redbook CD format and not the high resolution SACD tracks? I've never bought any SACD or DVD-Audio since I never had the h/w to play them. I've heard a few SACDs though and their SQ is way beyond the "ordinary" Redbook CD.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back