Oppo BDP-83 .... - bluray disc player

Ithink $500 for a bdp is steep to compete in the market. Unless they want only hifier buying their product, which would be a limited market, and stiff competition from better known brands. With HD capable receivers getting fairly common, why should I buy a $500 player when I can get a $200 bdp.

Gizmodo - Sony CEO: $200 Blu-ray Players Coming - Apple TV
VIZIO jumps into the sub-$200 Blu-ray player ring with its VBR100
$200 Blu-Ray Players In 2009? - HotHardware
Philips and Lite-ON announce $200 Blu-Ray player - TECH.BLORGE.com

I think a $300 bdp is already there in US market. Read the news few months back.

regards

Oppo has always been bought for its upconversion abilities. Even here the same applies. At $500 you are getting a player that will make your SD DVDs look great on LCDs and Plasmas (something I can personally vouch for) and also the player plays Blu-Ray content, SACDs, DVD-A and even MKV format. Now a lot of other players might even handle the same formats and media, but their upconversion leaves a lot to be desired. I've always thought the Oppo were for videophiles (just as CDPs are for audiophiles who don't want to even consider an iPod or MP3) and that's where their major sales are going to come from.

If you don't need upconversion then you don't need an Oppo. But if you want upconversion then the Oppo is the best deal at its price point.

Ithink $500 for a bdp is steep to compete in the market. Unless they want only hifier buying their product, which would be a limited market, and stiff competition from better known brands. With HD capable receivers getting fairly common, why should I buy a $500 player when I can get a $200 bdp.

Gizmodo - Sony CEO: $200 Blu-ray Players Coming - Apple TV
VIZIO jumps into the sub-$200 Blu-ray player ring with its VBR100
$200 Blu-Ray Players In 2009? - HotHardware
Philips and Lite-ON announce $200 Blu-Ray player - TECH.BLORGE.com

I think a $300 bdp is already there in US market. Read the news few months back.

regards

all their DVD players can take 100 to 240 V, so I don't see why they should approach the BD player any differently. Oh i just confirmed Power Supply: ~ 100V - 240V, 50/60Hz AC.

as regards 500 dollars being steep, i guess it'll depend on the final performance, right now the best value deal around is apparently the Samsung BD-P2500 (300 $), which is packed with features, and has an HQV Reon chip for upscaling. CNET's review lauded its performance both with BD and DVD, although they said that with DVD it was perhaps "a hair" behind the Oppo 983.

Since the BD-83 will have the same ABT chips for upscaling, this "hair" difference I am sure will remain, but the question you must ask is whether this "hair" is worth 200 dollars. Of course the BD-83 is pound to have superior performance with Audio CDs (as well as SACDs and DVD-A), but somehow I can't see someone who can afford a BD Player, and loves music, not having a dedicated CDP.

he he, today you're out to make everyone "relax".;)

If you buy in US, most probably it will be 110V.

Their preliminary user manual does not mention a word of MKV. But since this "preliminary" manual, I will keep my fingers crossed. But I am getting a big doubt now....

The manual also says that it cannot play DVD-A. Hey I have about 50+ DVD-A discs now. I will never buy this without DVD-A.

but somehow I can't see someone who can afford a BD Player, and loves music, not having a dedicated CDP.

The thing is Oppo's costing around 20K i.e. the 983 beats any CDP in that price range. One feels the Oppo Blu-Ray will also perform better than all budget CDPs or CDPs in its price range. Coming to CDPs the real good performers start only from 50K onwards so not necessary that those who can afford an Oppo around 20-25K can also afford CDPs costing upwards of 50K.

Of course one can chuck all this and assemble a PC for 40-50K which will deliver better performance in every department be it music, movies, and even Blu-Ray. As of now for the PCs only the Blu-Ray blank media is expensive and cannot be used for backing up data. Otherwise everything else is cheaper and a better performer too.

Oppo fans would be interested in this

Blu-ray.com - Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray Player Launches, by Invitation Only

Btw Oppo was never a mass market product so it would always be priced a above the usual stuff and quality wise they always have been way better than the mass market players. Its for people who really wants a quality product and does not mind paying extra bucks for it, like many of the users in this forum.

but what about the upconversion? Will PC be able to upconvert as well as oppo?

regards

The thing is Oppo's costing around 20K i.e. the 983 beats any CDP in that price range. One feels the Oppo Blu-Ray will also perform better than all budget CDPs or CDPs in its price range. Coming to CDPs the real good performers start only from 50K onwards so not necessary that those who can afford an Oppo around 20-25K can also afford CDPs costing upwards of 50K.

Of course one can chuck all this and assemble a PC for 40-50K which will deliver better performance in every department be it music, movies, and even Blu-Ray. As of now for the PCs only the Blu-Ray blank media is expensive and cannot be used for backing up data. Otherwise everything else is cheaper and a better performer too.

but what about the upconversion? Will PC be able to upconvert as well as oppo?

regards

I should not think so unless the PC has a chip as powerful as the Oppo's. But some of the graphics cards I've seen do a very good job with upconversion. The thing is I've never tried a HTPC or watched video from PC on TV, its mainly limited for music and browsing, blogging, etc. But on my 19" LCD monitor the movies look great. But I don't have a Full HD monitor. BenQ has come out with one and with time all LCD monitors for the PC too should be Full HD.

that would also mean the Oppo 980 (their audio performance is identical) beats all CD players under 20k, is that true? i haven't done this comparison but that sounds like a bit of a stretch, I don't think it would hold up against say a CA 640C which is abotu 21k.

And I would imagine the audio playback of the BD83 to be about in line with the 980 and 983 (mostly because if there were any improvements, Oppo would be talking about it), in which case a 21k CA 640C should be able to outperform it as well. So this 50k floor price for getting "real good performers" sounds a bit arbitrary.

But then i do agree that my point (as i stated it before) was also quite speculative :) it is not inconceivable that someone would want to plonk down 500 dollars and get an excellent BD player and a good CD player as well.

But the point i'd like to make is that the Oppo will have to offer a BD and DVD experience significantly superior to the HQV equipped samsung for people to be happy plonking down that 200 dollars extra. The audio capabilities would always be a secondary consideration.

Full HD at 19 inches would be a bit pointless... You'd have to be superhuman to make out any difference. Even at 32 inches the difference is impossible to spot, so anything below, Full HD would be a very pointless (and possibly expensive) gimmick.

I should not think so unless the PC has a chip as powerful as the Oppo's. But some of the graphics cards I've seen do a very good job with upconversion. The thing is I've never tried a HTPC or watched video from PC on TV, its mainly limited for music and browsing, blogging, etc. But on my 19" LCD monitor the movies look great. But I don't have a Full HD monitor. BenQ has come out with one and with time all LCD monitors for the PC too should be Full HD.

that would also mean the Oppo 980 (their audio performance is identical) beats all CD players under 20k, is that true? i haven't done this comparison but that sounds like a bit of a stretch, I don't think it would hold up against say a CA 640C which is abotu 21k.

One thing that would beat all CDPs would be a PC for sure.

Let me put it this way. Any CDP under 50K is a compromise. The good ones take off past that figure and if you are talking pristine music quality then its certainly 80K to 1 lac at the minimum. Since you mention the CA 640C and I've heard it personally, let me tell you it lacks in detail and even soundstage is pretty limited/lacking. Now it would be okay for a person who has not heard the real stuff as far as CDPs are concerned but if anyone has used a high-end CDP they would definitely not consider it. Now I may be wrong here since what I heard was a new piece but I don't really believe too much or place too much emphasis on breaking in and cables, etc.

Either way I can assure you all CDPs under 50K don't really sound that great when in comparison to the CDPs on the other side of 50K. Now compare this against an Oppo which plays CDs as good as the under budget CDPs and in addition will upscale SD content like no other and also play SACDs among other things. Now which one will you go for? Now don't tell me you will go for a CDP because you believe a CDP being a dedicated unit delivers better SQ for music. If that's really so then you have to go for a PC because at the same cost it will kick every CDP's ass.

My choice involved all these decisions and hence I went with the 983 at around 20K and have not regretted my decision till date. In fact my brother is using my 983 to play Audio CDs now (one more who will not go the PC route yet) and he is very happy.

This is what I meant to convey previously. Not sure how the 983 will perform head-to-head with the CA 640C though, but considering the CA 640C itself is a compromise why even go for it? An Oppo makes much more sense and a PC is audio and video nirvana in comparison.

that would also mean the Oppo 980 (their audio performance is identical) beats all CD players under 20k, is that true?

using oppo 980 for the past 2-3 months now, they truly have an edge and can say can be compared with CD players under 20K, provided one have good speakers to match (especially for SACD/DVD audio)

.....oppo BDP-83 BLURAY player is available now on PRE-ORDER as per link below
Buy OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player online - Blu-Ray and DVD

Last edited:
Either way I can assure you all CDPs under 50K don't really sound that great when in comparison to the CDPs on the other side of 50K.

I have heard classe cdp costing 2.5 lacs INR eqvlnt and a rotel rcd 1072 costing 30K INR in a B&W 802D system powered by all classe gear. the difference I could point out was that the Classe was more balanced and refined (fine textures). overall detail wise I couldnt discern any big difference. Soundstage was also not that different at moderate sound levels. the guy at the dealership and I both agreed that the difference in price is not justified.

although i have not yet heard an oppo, i highly doubt if it will better a rotel 1072 or a less expensive NAD C542. you could find the similar feedback in many other forums, from those who own both oppo and dedicated cdp.

Last edited:
Vishanv wrote" although i have not yet heard an oppo, i highly doubt if it will better a rotel 1072 or a less expensive NAD C542."
I have been reading a no. of comments like this in this thread, which come across as purely speculative.
Gentlemen, please make the actual comparison, you might be in for an eye opener.
Not for nothing does the Oppo have such a giant killing reputation.

Vishanv wrote" although i have not yet heard an oppo, i highly doubt if it will better a rotel 1072 or a less expensive NAD C542."
I have been reading a no. of comments like this in this thread, which come across as purely speculative.
Gentlemen, please make the actual comparison, you might be in for an eye opener.
Not for nothing does the Oppo have such a giant killing reputation.

have you compared both in the same system? or do you have both in your system? if yes, I would much appreciate if you can share your experience. infact it would save me a lot of money if I'm clear about this. so far from what I gathered from various forums, the Oppo may not make you sell your cdp. I have bitter experience of trusting a magazine review and buying the 1400. the reviewer said the cd and sacd playback is great but in reality it sucks.

BTW, the oppo has a giant killing reputation for its video upscaling capabilities and its decent, I repeat, decent audio (through analogue outs). what we are talking about is above average SQ through analogue outs.

I have heard classe cdp costing 2.5 lacs INR eqvlnt and a rotel rcd 1072 costing 30K INR in a B&W 802D system powered by all classe gear. the difference I could point out was that the Classe was more balanced and refined (fine textures). overall detail wise I couldnt discern any big difference. Soundstage was also not that different at moderate sound levels. the guy at the dealership and I both agreed that the difference in price is not justified.

although i have not yet heard an oppo, i highly doubt if it will better a rotel 1072 or a less expensive NAD C542. you could find the similar feedback in many other forums, from those who own both oppo and dedicated cdp.

Well feedback that states a PC/HDD based system beats the crap out of every CDP many times over its budget is also there in most forums. Will that make the CDP owners agree that it really is a fact. No way right? So you decide, are the forums right or wrong?

BTW if possible do audition an Oppo. You will be surprised at what you hear.

Oppo has always been bought for its upconversion abilities. Even here the same applies. At $500 you are getting a player that will make your SD DVDs look great on LCDs and Plasmas (something I can personally vouch for) and also the player plays Blu-Ray content, SACDs, DVD-A and even MKV format. Now a lot of other players might even handle the same formats and media, but their upconversion leaves a lot to be desired. I've always thought the Oppo were for videophiles (just as CDPs are for audiophiles who don't want to even consider an iPod or MP3) and that's where their major sales are going to come from.

If you don't need upconversion then you don't need an Oppo. But if you want upconversion then the Oppo is the best deal at its price point.

moserw, just a small correction..your lines should be reading "upscaling" and not upconversion (upconversion ofcourse exists, but i thought you probably meant upscaling).. my two cents to clear the air.

moserw, just a small correction..your lines should be reading "upscaling" and not upconversion (upconversion ofcourse exists, but i thought you probably meant upscaling).. my two cents to clear the air.

I used upscaling since that's what Oppo's website calls it. Oppo calls it "DVD Up-Conversion".

People will buy it if it does the following:
1. Far better picture quality than a 300$ blue player.
2. Substantially better upscaling than a 300$ blu ray player.
I dont think an audiophile will buy an oppo dvd/blu ray player for its SACD capability. They will buy a standard sacd player.

These will sell in Inda in large numbers only if Blu ray becomes popular and affordable. Other wise only gizmo freaks will buy them.
For example: How may blu ray discs will a sane person buy if they cost around 2500 bucks ? Moves are mostly one-time use (mostly) unlike cds/sacds which are used hundreds of times. A few early birds I know are not using their blu ray player at all these days :mad: They have exhausted their handful of blu ray discs are back to watching SD Dvds on their big screens. Even the best dvd libraries do not stock blu ray discs:mad:
One more fact: Most people I know who are into HD movies are hard-core downloaders who just download their fav movies to the hard disc and watch them. Simple :D

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back