Oppo BDP-83 .... - bluray disc player

BDP-83 has discrete stereo outputs this is what I need and .....the combination of BD and SA-CD is most remarkable also I have to mention is this BD profile 2.... The Abt-2010's deinterlacing and scaling will be good for all the content I think... it has also got mpeg nr which is quite new...and the zone info is bit disappointing but ther'll be no problem as long I get the media from there....I'm not sure if this thing supports Java....But can you play .mkv from USB media ..if it plays there are torrent trackers which provide lots of .mkv's :licklips: when this player will be available ...any idea guys

Last edited:
Region free firmware:

Oppo bdp 83 multi region firmware upgrade at Codefreedvd.com

Oppo BDP-83 Codefree Firmware
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This release based on version 0430

The Blu-ray region is switched by entering a 4 digit code on the setup menu.
Press setup on remote once so the menu appears, then hit:

7891 : Region A and codefree DVD
7892 : Region B and codefree DVD
7893 : Region C and codefree DVD

You can restore the standard firmware and select "Reset Factory Default"
option to reset the player back to standard if required.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
is there a restriction on number of times this can be changed?

Region free firmware:

Oppo bdp 83 multi region firmware upgrade at Codefreedvd.com

Oppo BDP-83 Codefree Firmware
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This release based on version 0430

The Blu-ray region is switched by entering a 4 digit code on the setup menu.
Press setup on remote once so the menu appears, then hit:

7891 : Region A and codefree DVD
7892 : Region B and codefree DVD
7893 : Region C and codefree DVD

You can restore the standard firmware and select "Reset Factory Default"
option to reset the player back to standard if required.

Enjoy!

What is 'discrete' stereo outputs, if I may ask?

Cheers

Apparently this runs through a separate circuit to provide only the 2 channel analogue stereo. Not downmixed from multi-channel. I guess the thinking at Oppo land might have been that this will be used as a reference player for stereo playback to compete against the likes of Pio Elite, Marantz and other stand alone CDPs. If the performance is good, this may be the standout feature compared to other BR players.

Supported USB drives must be formatted with the FAT (File Allocation Table) or FAT32 file system. Drives formatted with NTFS file system are not supported.

This means most of the MKVs which are above 4GB will not work!!
For me this was the USP. Now I am disappointed.

Apparently this runs through a separate circuit to provide only the 2 channel analogue stereo. ......... If the performance is good, this may be the standout feature compared to other BR players.

Ok. Now I understand. But they have the same circuitry in the 980 and the 983. They have not changed the audio circuitry that they have borrowed from a 'renowned external audio consultant'.

Cheers

Ok. Now I understand. But they have the same circuitry in the 980 and the 983. They have not changed the audio circuitry that they have borrowed from a 'renowned external audio consultant'.

Cheers

NO this is a dedicated circuit in addition to multichannel out which is what is in 980 and 983. This only outputs stereo and nothing else.

Supported USB drives must be formatted with the FAT (File Allocation Table) or FAT32 file system. Drives formatted with NTFS file system are not supported.

This means most of the MKVs which are above 4GB will not work!!
For me this was the USP. Now I am disappointed.

Try splitting the MKVs for now, hopefully soon OPPO or someone else ;) will come out with a workaround. They made it clear that they wont support NTFS without license from Microsoft but I am sure they will figure out other options to emulate the same as they have done in the past with few other features. I simply love mine. As being one of the earlier BDP-83 adopters, I can assure you that OPPO has covered a great distance in providing solutions than any other BD hardware I have used/seen.

isn't that interesting considering the 983 scored 100%?

Well the features matters a lot. 983 was reviewed solely on the fact that its just a dvd player while 83 is an universal player. The dvd playback on 83 is far superior than the 983 IMO as it uses a ABT2010 chip while 983 used both 102 and 1010. 83 is still not 100% complete. Discussing about this there is no product without any flaws. There is room for improvement even in $3K -$4k Denons. Features like DVD-A flawless playback in 83 is still an ongoing process and where OPPO stood 4 months ago and where they are now shows a lot of promises. The latest beta firmware addresses a lot of these issues.

yesterday i was informed by OPPO,the official sale of BD 83 bluray player is on and they have a official stockist in singapore hence any Blu ray workable in singapore can work in india also

yesterday i was informed by OPPO,the official sale of BD 83 bluray player is on and they have a official stockist in singapore hence any Blu ray workable in singapore can work in india also

The official price is SGD 1069 that's about 36.5K.
There are MOs going on at 30.5K.
2nd MO: OPPO BDP-83 + Hardware Modification

So basically it's very expensive there!!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back