Oppo BDP-83 .... - bluray disc player

yesterday i was informed by OPPO,the official sale of BD 83 bluray player is on and they have a official stockist in singapore hence any Blu ray workable in singapore can work in india also

the region code for BD in singapore is A whereas in India its C

Hi Guys,

The BD-83 is now available on HKFlix.com for USD 499, which ships to India too.

But here is an interesting note on the site.

PLEASE NOTE
Unlike other hardware sold on this site, this unit will only play DVDs coded for REGION 1, and Blu-Ray Discs coded for REGION A, as well as discs without any region coding. It is NOT MODIFIED and DOES NOT play DVDs or Blu-Ray Discs from other regions. If an affordable modification becomes available at a later date, we will do our best to offer it here, but for the time being this player is not reasonably hackable.

cheers,
sri

I had explained about the Blu-Ray region coding system in the following link.

http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/1823-ps3-price-india.html

India falls in Region C. We are always shunted off to the last row in all international matters, and it is really shame as we are the second largest producer of movies and music in the world. And this really has nothing to do with geography.

Producers are today a confused lot vis-a-vis region coding for Blu-ray. In addition they may want the format to succeed and thus nearly 70% of the BDs released are region free.

All Oppo players, since they are designed in the US will come preset for Region A. Knowing Oppo, I am sure they will provide a simple remote control based methodology to change the region code to anything you want. I don't think that will be an issue. It may even be the same method that are now there for all Oppo players.

BTW, for people in Chennai, Some shops in Burma Bazar are selling authentic looking BDs for between Rs.200 and Rs.250.

Shall some of start a BD distribution system for all members of HiFiVision? :):). That was just a joke moderator.

Cheers

Venkat , Is this region code such a major issue ? As mentioned by you 70% of BD's are region free.As posted earlier I have picked up a region 1 Panasonic BD60 from US, it seems to play most discs.Further all blue ray disc's available in domestic mkt except from Excell Videos (coded C) are coded AB&C.Then why is this general uneasiness on region code ? pls do clarify.

Region free firmware:

Oppo bdp 83 multi region firmware upgrade at Codefreedvd.com

Oppo BDP-83 Codefree Firmware
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This release based on version 0430

The Blu-ray region is switched by entering a 4 digit code on the setup menu.
Press setup on remote once so the menu appears, then hit:

7891 : Region A and codefree DVD
7892 : Region B and codefree DVD
7893 : Region C and codefree DVD

You can restore the standard firmware and select "Reset Factory Default"
option to reset the player back to standard if required.

Enjoy!

It seems that there is remote based unlocking for this player. So why worry?

Venkat , Is this region code such a major issue ? As mentioned by you 70% of BD's are region free.As posted earlier I have picked up a region 1 Panasonic BD60 from US, it seems to play most discs.Further all blue ray disc's available in domestic mkt except from Excell Videos (coded C) are coded AB&C.Then why is this general uneasiness on region code ? pls do clarify.

Well, imagine a Friday evening when you pick up a beautiful BD Disc, call a few friends, and bring out really cold beer. All your friends have taken a glass of beer, and you now want to really impress them and yourself. You put on your system, insert the disc, and the player says, 'Cannot play Disc'. Would you not feel like throttling someone?

I had got a Pioneer 696 from Italy and was very excited as it was a excellent player. When I inserted a reference disc, I got the dreaded message. I had to download a unofficial firmware, though fortunately. it works well.

Today software owners may release discs with no region encoding. But once Blu-ray becomes a mass market item, Columbia, 20 Century Fox and other companies will start insisting on region code protection.

Personally, I will not buy a player unless I am sure it will play every disc I throw at it.

Cheers

Well, imagine a Friday evening when you pick up a beautiful BD Disc, call a few friends, and bring out really cold beer. All your friends have taken a glass of beer, and you now want to really impress them and yourself. You put on your system, insert the disc, and the player says, 'Cannot play Disc'. Would you not feel like throttling someone?

The moral of the story is that one should check the disc before calling friends over!;)

OR

One should pick up a beautiful friend rather than a beautiful disc!:eek:hyeah:

Both ways you will not be disappointed;)

I have found out the links which shows how to modify BDP 83 and its really easy anybody with a screw driver could do it. There is no soldering required.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/atta...bdp-83-region-free-thread-region-doc-v4.0.pdf

and the place from where you can order chip is JVB Digital, Codefree Oppo BDP-83 DVD modification kit they ship the same to India for a nominal charge of 17$
Some people will object to this modification, but I would like to point out that the firmware mod which is availiable on the net would not work if the firmware of the player is upgraded in the future, and as the BLU RAY is Java enabled so there is always the risk of new updates for the same otherwise any new BD won't work with the BD player in the future and this is the way the movie studios are planning to control the piracy.

Last edited:
Guys the mod kit for BDP 83 which I have discussed in my previous thread from JVB Digital, I had placed an order for the same with them on 24th of July and Today I have recieved the same so this confirms their reliability on the shipping part, I chose the normal shipping of 17$ so the time it took to reach me from US was fast. Also I didn't had to pay any duty for it.

I had orderded My Oppo BDP83 on 24th July which I am yet to recieve but I have confirmed for the delivery of the same and I would get it by 25th of this month so after that if anybody in Delhi and NCR wants a demo of the same then he or she is more than welcome.

I had orderded My Oppo BDP83 on 24th July which I am yet to recieve but I have confirmed for the delivery of the same and I would get it by 25th of this month so after that if anybody in Delhi and NCR wants a demo of the same then he or she is more than welcome.

Congrats!!!!! From where you ordered this player? Please pass me the details.I am dying to get one.

Thanks
Satya.

Congrats!!!!! From where you ordered this player? Please pass me the details.I am dying to get one.

Thanks
Satya.

I have ordered it through Shop in the US from India @ 20North - Millions of products, Thousands of brands and the total cost including shipping and customs duty has come down to 38K delivered to my place.
Mind you the player would be region locked for both BD and DVD to A & 1. You will have to decide to either go with the soft mod or the hard mod. whereas the later is firmware upgrade proof.

Just found that the Oppo 983 uses Audio Circuitry designed by NuForce the hi-end audio manufacturer.

Oppo 983H

So this should reinforce the idea that makes it a hot product for budget audiophiles :)

Cheers

Just found that the Oppo 983 uses Audio Circuitry designed by NuForce the hi-end audio manufacturer.

Oppo 983H
Cheers

Gobble, I could not find any specific reference to the fact that Oppo has used circuit design from NuForce. All I could find was the NuForce, for some strange reasons, is selling Oppo 983 from its website.

Could you provide the exact link?

Cheers

Gobble, I could not find any specific reference to the fact that Oppo has used circuit design from NuForce. All I could find was the NuForce, for some strange reasons, is selling Oppo 983 from its website.

Could you provide the exact link?

Cheers
Edit: The original post reads: "We helped in tweaking the sound. "

Here is the another link:
Getting the best sound from Oppo player

On re-reading it - apparently there are two audio vendors involved - the other prefers to remain anonymous.

Regards

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back