Option to Select : Tata Sky - Sun Direct

sgmane

Hi,

Iam looking to get one of the following i shortlisted.

1. Tata sky (south starter package, 71ch) - Rs 125/pm ( 6months - 2124 - including installation)
2. Sun Direct (south package - 130 ch) - Rs 110/pm (9 months - 2240, 4 months - 1690 - including installation)
(I do not find other providers offering better south packages!)
I do see Sun Direct offers free installation as per their advertisement, but i suppose it is applicable only in TamilNadu. The agent i checked says i need to pay the installation too)

When i did see some reviews Tatasky seems to be on the top of list. But i also see that the service charges are Rs 300 per visit. Not sure how much Sun Direct charges. Sun Direct customer service is not upto the mark is what i read in the reviews during start of the launch. No idea how is it now.
What will be likely maintenance of these Tata Sky or Sun Direct, if at all one needs to call the service personnel?

We do not see all channels so we stuck to south package. Sun Direct also offers additional channels starting from Rs 6/- to Rs 300. (At the promotional offer Sun Direct did give for Rs 90/ pm and now its increased to Rs 110)

I do know that, these DTH services (Sun Direct, Tata sky, Big TV, Dish TV etc) all are ripping customers by adding free channels to their list of packages. If you default your payment, you would even not be able to see the free channels (including DD channels) which is against the rule, but i suppose no one questions them!!.

Do let me know, which would be better.
Any one here in bangalore using the same. Do post your experience, based on which i shall go for the same.

Thanks

if ur planning to get an LCD or Plasma in the future, sun is the way to go as they have already launched their HD services. (u can upgrade later from basic sun direct to sun hd and get discounts)

however having said that, it is pretty evident that tata sky will launch their HD services soon. and to be frank, tata sky is more professional in dealing with customers than sun.

now its upto u to decide.

@frnd08
Thanks.
I have Samsung 22" LCD and have no plans to upgrade atleast for few more years. So i suppose even if its HD telecast, that will not make any difference for me, giving the size i own. So iam only looking for SD stuff.

@frnd08
Thanks.
I have Samsung 22" LCD and have no plans to upgrade atleast for few more years. So i suppose even if its HD telecast, that will not make any difference for me, giving the size i own. So iam only looking for SD stuff.

Go for tata sky, their service and support is good, i have one from last 3 years never faced any issues

Hi,

One plus for sun direct STB is, it has component out.

cheers,
sri

Just to add on to the Component V out, you also have optical out that can connect to your AVR!! I recently added sun DTH to my exiting DishTV, i'm impressed with SUN's Quality. I found their service to be better than DishTV.

Rgrds.

Thanks folks.
So i take it as:
For customer service, quality - Tata Sky (starter pack - 71 channels)
For VFM - Sun Direct (130 + channels)
Any way far better than my cable guy charging 250 pm - with lot of channels not in the list of "watching".

Thanks folks.
So i take it as:
For customer service, quality - Tata Sky (starter pack - 71 channels)
For VFM - Sun Direct (130 + channels)
Any way far better than my cable guy charging 250 pm - with lot of channels not in the list of "watching".

thats well summed up. but even tata sky may be value for money, if u consider peace of mind to be a value for money criteria. i am having tata sky plus for more than 3 months now and i havent had to call the customer care even once. also, u see tata sky has the most no of customers than any other dth (if u leave out dish tv). so basically its sort of more "secure", or should i say more resistant to market fluctuations than sun.

finally, in my opinion, if u dont have any plans for upgrading to sun hd, there's not much point going for sun direct. tata sky seems a better option.

Last edited:
None of the above. Go for Airtel digital TV. They have some fabulous cash back offers on their website.

Plus the picture quality and user interface is way superior to TS.

None of the above. Go for Airtel digital TV. They have some fabulous cash back offers on their website.

Plus the picture quality and user interface is way superior to TS.

Thanks. Yes i did see good reviews.
But i checked with my local agent with the brouchers (and also the site) available and its south package is not even up to tata sky leave alone sun-direct.
As informed earlier - my primary requirement is south package.

Hi Guys,

Just when i am pondering to switch over from Tatasky they have added four more new channels.
1.WB
2.MGM
3.TCM
4.NDTV Lumire

WB is dishing out different movies than whats on HBO and Star Movies. But the movies get repeated in the day. The PQ and SQ of WB are excellent. The SQ thro my AVR's Neo Cinema 6 makes me forget i am watching a movie on a telly.:)

Of course i love the MGM and TCM for their classic movies. I used to have them in the good old days of cable TV. MGM is playing Death Wish 2 today. I love all the 5 movies in that series.

All these DTH guys must have done a doctorate on how to fleece the customers and get away with it. I have to shell out another Rs 45 for the package of course.:sad:

It would be interesting to know what the younger lot on this forum think about the channels like TCM and MGM

cheers,
sri

Well, I have Tata Sky too, Sri. What were you wanting to switch to originally?

I might have to subscribe to WB as well. Sounds interesting. The odd movie on MGM and TNT is captivating. Nowadays I dont find time to get through my arsenal of movies stored on my PC and external hard disks. :)

Hi vortex,

I was thinking of switching over to Sundirect since it has all the mentioned channels above and all the tamil channels too.Now i have to think about it.

I think it will be worthwhile to get an external HDD and visit your home one day for all those movies.:)

cheers,
sri

Hi vortex,

I was thinking of switching over to Sundirect since it has all the mentioned channels above and all the tamil channels too.Now i have to think about it.

I think it will be worthwhile to get an external HDD and visit your home one day for all those movies.:)

cheers,
sri

You are welcome. Curiously I have also been thinking off hand about Sun Direct. But I think they miss Neo, and being a cricket nut I would not compromise on that even though Indian cricket action is quite a bit far away now.

You are welcome. Curiously I have also been thinking off hand about Sun Direct. But I think they miss Neo, and being a cricket nut I would not compromise on that even though Indian cricket action is quite a bit far away now.

+1 to that. I wont also miss neo.

cheers,
sri

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back