output transformers for SS Amp

soundbuff

Theere are a few solid state amps where the output stage is transformer coupled. Usually this is a feature of tube amps alone. Has any one heard an SS amplifier of this kind? It seems they improve drive capability into low loads. But are there any sonic advantages.
Thanks

Theere are a few solid state amps where the output stage is transformer coupled. Usually this is a feature of tube amps alone. Has any one heard an SS amplifier of this kind? It seems they improve drive capability into low loads. But are there any sonic advantages.
Thanks
McIntosh and more recently Goldinote. Check a recent review of the Goldinote in Stereophile.

McIntosh and more recently Goldinote. Check a recent review of the Goldinote in Stereophile.
Please search Grandinote amplifiers
Yes it's Grandinote.

Many thanks for the suggestion. Had a quick look and will again do so. I got interested when I noted that the top monoblock made by Xindak, has an arrangement of this kind. It's class A and 80 watts. Have been using thier top integrated for a few years now.

Actually, i have come across older amplifiers with phase-splitting transformers as well. These transformers are positioned between the driver stage and the output transistors, in the power amplifier section, coupling the driver stage with the output transistor pair. One example is the classic Nikko TRM 1200 from 1970

Nikko-TRM-1200.jpg

phase splitting transformer illustrated in schematic of power amplifier section (only 1 channel shown)

circuit.jpg

The output transistor pair used in this amplifier is not the usual PNP-NPN combine but are both NPNs. As both are identical transistors, it is necessary to supply their inputs with two identical anti-phase signals. This is the actual purpose for using the phase-splitting transformer.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back