Owners Thread of Panasonic TH-P42X30D - Settings & Features Discussion

Many of them warned me against Airtel DTH! Should have listened to your words. Experienced the worst customer till date with them - before even getting the connection!!

Damn the Auto Strike - still waiting for the delivery of my TV as well!!

So far PQ wise I m happy with Airtel DTH HD quality although the sound on some channels is little less (star plus HD). I have also observed that some HD channels goes down intermittently & comes back after sometime. Not sure if other consumers with airtel HD also faced the same issues.

Have patience buddy...Sabra ka phal meetha hoga :eek:hyeah:

Thx
Abhinav

Dear Friends,

Is this tv good for dedicated 9X10 room if i watch it from around 6 to 9 feet will it be good

Dear Friends,

Is this tv good for dedicated 9X10 room if i watch it from around 6 to 9 feet will it be good

My minimum viewing distance is approx 9 ft and it looks great from that distance. From 6ft although the pic looks fine but in my personal opinion it wud be too close. Go for 32" if most of the times u will watch from 6ft however this TV doesnt come in 32".

Thanks Freak(Sorry if this is not your name),

Thanks man. Can you tell some more information apart from giving the link for viewing distance coz i have bad learning mind from that link

The latest firmware basically provides support for more codecs..apart from probably removing some bugs:p

Never mind. Found it :)

Very happy with the performance of the TV so far. The negatives that I observed so far:

1. Straightlines appear jagged. if they are very thing (1/2px width)
2. Audio doesn't play from certain mkv files. (haven't checked with latest firmware)
3. Reflections! Thick curtains are required if you have a window facing the Tv.

Apart from that, it is an amazing experience to watch series and movies on it, even non-HD. Superb scaling. I haven't seen blocks in any of the movies/series that I watched. Airtel DTH HD is actually quite good. Using it on 720p.

Thanks Freak(Sorry if this is not your name),

Thanks man. Can you tell some more information apart from giving the link for viewing distance coz i have bad learning mind from that link

It's been a little more than 2 weeks since i got this TV and I've tried viewing at different positions. But however the best experience is when i view it at a distance of 18ft. But still I also enjoy watching it at a distance of 10ft.

Checked firmware today. My TV was shipped with the latest firmware - 2015. Still I am unable to play audio in some MKV and MP4 files.

BTW, I am able to play movies from HDD and they play flawlessly. Haven't tested really large files, but have tested files upto 2.5GB at least.

Even DVDrips look excellent on the TV.

Never mind. Found it :)

Very happy with the performance of the TV so far. The negatives that I observed so far:

1. Straightlines appear jagged. if they are very thing (1/2px width)
2. Audio doesn't play from certain mkv files. (haven't checked with latest firmware)
3. Reflections! Thick curtains are required if you have a window facing the Tv.

Apart from that, it is an amazing experience to watch series and movies on it, even non-HD. Superb scaling. I haven't seen blocks in any of the movies/series that I watched. Airtel DTH HD is actually quite good. Using it on 720p.

Thanks for sharing your views Panny. I completely agree with you on point 2 & 3. However havent noticed anything on point 1. I have observed that some mkv files gets played fine, some gets played without sound and some doesnt play at all. I dont know whats the reason but Im in search of the reason...looks like some codec issue....

Reflection is the only issue I feel we shd be worried of or look workaround for. Especially during day time.....night time although with lights on it works fine but without lights it work fantastically....great audio, great video in HD....have watched almost 20-25 movies on Star Movies HD ever since it came....im just loving it...

Checked firmware today. My TV was shipped with the latest firmware - 2015. Still I am unable to play audio in some MKV and MP4 files.

BTW, I am able to play movies from HDD and they play flawlessly. Haven't tested really large files, but have tested files upto 2.5GB at least.

Even DVDrips look excellent on the TV.

Yes Panny...my TV model is Jan 2012 and it also came with the latest firmware 2015 but im also facing some issues while playing "some" mkv files and not all.
MP4 doesnt play at all...:sad:

As I had mentioned earlier, the best codes support is on Samsung models only. Even that however does not play some very hi-res mkv files.
I am surprised that mp4 is not supported.
Since I use Dune HD Max for media files, I have not used the USB/SD card media playing feature of the TV (mine is P42U30).
I will check this today and revert back.
Regarding straight line jags, it is I think a satellite transmission issue. Please let me know if you fine this on blu-ray discs, if so then it should be a TV problem and we can check the issue with Panasonic

MP4 plays fine on my TV, I think it is again upto the codecs. I will do a comprehensive test on this one this weekend and get back.

Straight lines appear jagged, which I think is because it is a 720p TV. You can observer this on the ESPN logo. Please note, by straight lines I didn't mean horizontal or vertical lines but diagonal lines which require anti aliasing.

Hi Friends,

Want to know if anyone else has faced this issue, if yes what to do about it:

I am trying to play .mp4 file (Hangover - 668 MB file), on my 42X30D, however the picture is getting distorted after about 1 minute of start, and not getting normal here onwards.
Smaller .mp4 file of 52 MB is running all fine.

Can anyone help please...?

The movie is running normally on my laptop. I don't have more clips/movies to test. I have got the TV in Oct 11, and was manufactured / packed in Aug 11.

Regards,
Manish

Bought this model yesterday from J P Nagar "Pai" Bangalore. Delivery and installation was very fast. Already installed and connected. Panasonic Brand shop at Jayanagar 5th Block was selling it for Rs 36K whereas bargained and got it from Pai for Rs 34K.

I am using Normal SD cable, so far some of the channels are ok. I am watching from a distance of 9 Feet. Some of the channels such as Chandana / DD-National have lot of snow, even on my old 21inch CRT these channels were snowy but it is worse on Panny Plasma. I expected that, so no qalms about it.

Some channels such as TV9, CNN-IBN, History, Discovery etc are good as my old CRT TV as the cable itself is not so clear. Though the ticker is little difficult to read as it is scrolling too fast and also the pixels are jagged.

On some Tamil channel, the ticker was very slow and was looking good. Unfortunately, I cannot read Tamil.

Checked DVD video and it was looking very good. I was able to play AVI files. Haven't tried any MKV files. Will try later and post.

I am not going to run those burn-in slides for 200 hours as on some forums read that it is not necessary for Plasma models after Jan 2011.

Weekend will connect my XBox and see how it works.

Thanks to all for the excellent posts, which helped me in deciding on this model.

Hi Friends,

Want to know if anyone else has faced this issue, if yes what to do about it:

I am trying to play .mp4 file (Hangover - 668 MB file), on my 42X30D, however the picture is getting distorted after about 1 minute of start, and not getting normal here onwards.
Smaller .mp4 file of 52 MB is running all fine.

Can anyone help please...?

The movie is running normally on my laptop. I don't have more clips/movies to test. I have got the TV in Oct 11, and was manufactured / packed in Aug 11.

Regards,
Manish

A 3GB mp4 played very well via USB. No issues whatsoever.

Yes Panny...my TV model is Jan 2012 and it also came with the latest firmware 2015 but im also facing some issues while playing "some" mkv files and not all.
MP4 doesnt play at all...:sad:

It looks like a codec issue with that MP4 file..I tried some other MP4 files and one video recorded from my Panasonic FZ150 cam in MP4 format and all these works absolutely fine...:clapping::yahoo:

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back