PAL NTSC Issues with US Receiver

arnprasad

Hi All,

I am planning to have a friend get me a US receiver as its pretty cheap..most probably I will go for pioneer 1020K for 400 dollars. I know any thing bought in US is allergic to Non NTSC inputs or outputs. Not sure if this applies to receivers too. So apart from the 110 volts issue, do I need to worry about the receiver not identifying non NTSC sources?

my current setup is a samsung 5 series 46 incher which I guess can take an NTSC feed, Tata sky HD which I am not sure outputs NTSC, a DVD player which I am sure can output in allformats and my gateway laptop again from US which has a blu ray drive.

Thanks in advance for all your help!:clapping:

Hi All,

I am planning to have a friend get me a US receiver as its pretty cheap..most probably I will go for pioneer 1020K for 400 dollars. I know any thing bought in US is allergic to Non NTSC inputs or outputs. Not sure if this applies to receivers too. So apart from the 110 volts issue, do I need to worry about the receiver not identifying non NTSC sources?

my current setup is a samsung 5 series 46 incher which I guess can take an NTSC feed, Tata sky HD which I am not sure outputs NTSC, a DVD player which I am sure can output in allformats and my gateway laptop again from US which has a blu ray drive.

Thanks in advance for all your help!:clapping:

No problem. These receivers can be configured to output NTSC or PAL output. My Yamaha RX-V667 does it as well.

Cheers.

No problem. These receivers can be configured to output NTSC or PAL output. My Yamaha RX-V667 does it as well.

Are you sure about this? Receivers typically don't convert NTSC/PAL signals but will output them as received.

OP should not have a problem with connecting PAL sources to the receiver, it will take them and output will be PAL.

Are you sure about this? Receivers typically don't convert NTSC/PAL signals but will output them as received.

Irrespective of the fact whether a AVR is capable of conversion or not, all TVs sold in India can play both PAL and NTSC signals. This should not be an issue.

Cheers

Thanks for all your responses. I know Indian TVs are versatile and can take any input...but say I have Tata sky which say outputs on PAL...now will a US receiver take PAL and output in either PAL or NTSC? all the electronics I have from US are stubbornly NTSC onlly....so just want to make sure that US receivers are capable of receiving PAL inputs and I dont mind if the out put is PAL or NTSC as my TV can play anything. thx again:clapping:

I got Yamaha 665 from US. Will see if it has any issues with output from STB.

Usually you don't have to connect TV to AVR, if you do, you will have to Keep AVR ON every time you want to watch TV.

Other option is to connect STB output (audio+video) to TV and Audio Out from TV to AVR. This way you will have to turn on AVR only when you want to.

I am currently in the US and planning to buy a RX-V571 or RX-V671 and carry it to India. I am aware there is a voltage / frequency difference between the US & Indian mains which i think can be handled by the Step down transformer and also it is mentioned in the forum. Apart from this is there anything which needs to be done to get the receiver working in India. Have any of you guys experienced such things for these receivers. Actually i am planning to buy speakers which comes along with this receiver, is it worth buying it from US or should i buy it from India ?

I am yet to see any receiver that is marked as PAL or NTSC or SECAM or whatever. Note that PAL/NTSC applies to analogue video only and not to HDMI (digital video).

Receivers do not do anything to the analogue video signal. They do not have any (analogue) video processing capablity; some have upscaling facility via HDMI. So generally the video will be passed thru as is.

Please go ahead with the purchase. Make sure that you buy a good step down transformer.

Thanks folks !

In that case i will buy the receiver from US, but why is the recommendation to buy the speakers from India. For 720$ i get a 7.1 system AVR with speakers and RX-V571 receiver. The home theater system is yamaha, speakers is about 100 W each and the sub-woofer is 100W(which is a bit low) but i think this should be good enough for me.

Any reasons behind why to buy speakers in India, other than carrying it from here.

Thanks !

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back