Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Review

Finally bought P60S60
Awesome hai yaaaaarrrr

I loved it

And friends thanks for suggestion.

Can some1 plz tell me the best setting for my TV???

Last edited:
Hi All,
I am looking for a BDP which can be made region free and range is up 15k. I am confused with Pana 220, pioneer 160/450. Also let me know in case I should go for any other BDP player. Also I am looking for Analogue 2ch output.

Thanks in advance..

Last edited:
Hi All,
I am looking for a BDP which can be made region free and range is up 15k. I am confused with Pana 220, pioneer 160/450. Also let me know in case I should go for any other BDP player. Also I am looking for Analogue 2ch output.

Thanks in advance..

Hiiiiiiiii

I have a 2 pcs of BDT220, i want to sale both @9000/ pcs

This is an excellent description of how to connect to a shared network drive on a PC.

But, I have one question? What is the proper formatting for the drive mapping if you have a NAS, network attached storage drive? My NAS has an IP address, I can enter that. But, the folder where I store my media is not at the root level of the drive. It's down a path like \\elbowworld\elbowman\music. Are backslashes the proper format? Or, should they be forward slashes, //elbowworld/elbowman/music? Or, how do I do that?

Elbowman

To keep this thread growing and active, I found a great feature already in the player which can be used as a media player with no issues at all. So wanted to share this with all the FM's who have bought or would buy this player.

This review is for one of the network features provided by Panasonic DMP-BDT220. This network feature is hidden in the settings and can be enabled only from there.
The feature which is described here is a much better alternative to DLNA. DLNA functionality with this player is very limited and I can confirm that most of the file formats do not play.
I have tried many of the DLNA media servers namely Serviio, windows media server, Plex etc and none have given positive results. Only Serviio was able to stream FLAC files but then the connection used to get lost overtime and the media stopped playing.

With this feature one can access most of the file formats including mkv, m2ts, mp4, avi, flac (upto 24/192), wav (even 5.1) and many more which was not possible through DLNA.
Further when streaming multi-channal audio from formats like Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, Wav DTS 5.1, etc the receiver lights up the correct audio respectively.
Now movies and music with multi-channel audio can be enjoyed directly from one's computer streamed to the player wireless or wired and seen on the big screen.

Now, let me disclose the feature available in the settings, which many of you would already know...
Its the "Network Drive" which can be enabled from the Network menu. One, can connect any network drive (Network Attached Storage) with this player provided it has its own IP address and a shared folder or folders wireless or wired.

But the best part is that this is not limited to NAS, but can be configured to be used with any computer which has a hard disk and one wants to share the different media stored on that disk.
Well, many of members here would be aware of the steps below but for the betterment of the mass, below are the steps to be done for streaming media content to this player.

Steps to be done on the computer:
1. On your Windows computer, open windows explorer to create a "Map Network Drive", by selecting "Computer" on the left pane and then click "Map Network Drive" from the toolbar on the top.
2. In the dialog box, select a drive letter and the folder to map example "Movies". (Important: The folder should be shared before hand to show in the browse window.) see point 4.
3. Click Finish and you have a mapped drive which can be accessible from the player.
4. On windows explorer select the folder you wish to share on any drive and right click on it. Goto properties and select the sharing tab. Click on the share button and select the user name you want to share to.
Then click on Share and then OK. Now your folder is being shared. Next step is to map the folder - point 2.

Steps to be done on the player:
1. Goto Settings -> Player settings -> Network -> Network Settings -> Network Drive Connection and set it to On.
2. Once enabled... then goto main menu and then Network
3. Select Network Drive by going left.
4. Select the type of media you want to play - Music or Videos Or Photos.
5. Select Add a Network Drive.
6. Enter the IP address of your computer ex. 192.168.xxx.xxx
7. Enter the folder name which is shared ex. "Movies"
8. Enter the login id and password used to login to your windows computer
9. Select connect.

It then connects to the mapped drive and displays all the files on that folder. Now you have access to the media files corresponding to the selected media type ie., Music, Video or Photo.
Browse to the particular folder or file and select it to play.

The display of the files and scrolling is quite fast and smooth. The play-ability of media files is also smooth and responsive. All the functions like fast forward, rewind, pause etc work flawlessly.
You even have a page up/down for browsing which is an added benefit if you have a long list of files/folders. I personally tried almost all types of files and did not face any issues in connectivity and play-ability.

I tried to play 720p videos and it was smooth with correct audio stream display on the A/V receiver.
1080p videos were also fine, though some of them which have higher bit rate played with some stuttering.

I hope that this find would be helpful to many of us here.

This is an excellent description of how to connect to a shared network drive on a PC.

But, I have one question? What is the proper formatting for the drive mapping if you have a NAS, network attached storage drive? My NAS has an IP address, I can enter that. But, the folder where I store my media is not at the root level of the drive. It's down a path like \\elbowworld\elbowman\music. Are backslashes the proper format? Or, should they be forward slashes, //elbowworld/elbowman/music? Or, how do I do that?

Elbowman

Well, its quite simple, you just enter the ip address of the NAS and enter the parent shared folder. And it will display the respective folders inside it. Then you can select the particular media and run it.

In your case share the "music" folder in your NAS for network access by everyone or admin. There is no need for the "//", just the name of the folder shared in your NAS.

I hope it helps, let me know how it pans out.

Thanks for the clear instructions. But there is a problem I am consistently facing. I keep getting the number of folders and files exceeds limit message and only part of my NAS library is displayed. Is there a workaround for this? The network drive feature is far better than the DLNA implementation in the BDT230 and also plays almost all formats off the network drive. I have about 200 movies in one of my NAS folders and about half of them are not displayed due to the file limitation. THis is an otherwise good feature with poor implementation from Panasonic.

Cheers
Harsha

Well, its quite simple, you just enter the ip address of the NAS and enter the parent shared folder. And it will display the respective folders inside it. Then you can select the particular media and run it.

In your case share the "music" folder in your NAS for network access by everyone or admin. There is no need for the "//", just the name of the folder shared in your NAS.

I hope it helps, let me know how it pans out.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back