Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Review

jsmithe;443297There was no duty paid receipt from DHL who delivered the shipment in 3 days flat said:
Update. I checked with DHL and found that additional customs duty was indeed assessed and paid by DHL. BL have however not charged me anything extra other than the 10% they pre-collected.

Could you please send me the details too..:clapping:

In the interest of reducing PM requests, here's the info' on my purchase:

1. Refer to my post #43 on this thread for the deal I used. Note that this deal on Amazon US expires 16 Dec 2012. Also see my post #45, #49, #55.
2. Post #44 by another FM contains info' about the BDP being available on ebay.in. The last I saw this was at a higher price than what it worked out for me.
3. I paid a total of just above INR 10K as cost+shipping (inclusive of customs duty). Add CC currency conversion costs probably @ 3.5%.
4. Customs duty was charged at roughly 29 %. The shipper picked up the cost of excess duty beyond the 10% they estimated when I pre-paid.
6. I have also made the BDP region free for BD, DVD using the info on post #1.

Hi,

Can you tell me what step down transformer works and how much it costs. I found this useful link- will this work?

MDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac

Thanks

QUOTE=jsmithe;444227]In the interest of reducing PM requests, here's the info' on my purchase:

1. Refer to my post #43 on this thread for the deal I used. Note that this deal on Amazon US expires 16 Dec 2012. Also see my post #45, #49, #55.
2. Post #44 by another FM contains info' about the BDP being available on ebay.in. The last I saw this was at a higher price than what it worked out for me.
3. I paid a total of just above INR 10K as cost+shipping (inclusive of customs duty). Add CC currency conversion costs probably @ 3.5%.
4. Customs duty was charged at roughly 29 %. The shipper picked up the cost of excess duty beyond the 10% they estimated when I pre-paid.
6. I have also made the BDP region free for BD, DVD using the info on post #1.[/QUOTE]

That converter is more than enough for a BDP. Even a 50W converter can be used as BDPs are low powered devices which draw a maximum of 15W-20W. But for amplifiers always use a transformer based converter.

I've had a couple of those little 220-110V converters burn and melt even with the smallest of loads. The connected equipment, thankfully, was not damaged. Not sure it it was the one you linked to. FWIW, I have seen posts on this forum that MDR is a good brand though IIRC the reference was to some other product they make.

I have a 1000W 220-110V stepdown transformer which has been working for ages now without a problem. IIRC, it cost me about Rs. 1000 or so from somewhere in SP road in Bangalore. Search for Maxine in this forum for info' on 220-110V converters.

I also have a little 220-110V travel adapter (about 50W or so) or so purchased from the USA a long while ago and that thing still is going strong. It weighs a bunch compared to the locally sourced mini 220-110 converters that burnt out. The weight probably is a clue as to why the survivors survived.

Baiju,

Will the 50 hz vs 60 hz make any difference? There is a very technical thread on the forum which I read but being a finance professional couldn't understand much of the nitty gritties :)

Baiju,

Will the 50 hz vs 60 hz make any difference? There is a very technical thread on the forum which I read but being a finance professional couldn't understand much of the nitty gritties :)

Does not make a difference. Modern electronic devices no longer depend on the power supply for a clock signal since there usually is an onboard electronic clock signal. There might be exceptions to this rule for some modern and not so modern electronics but my DMP-BDT220 from the US works quite happily via a 220-110V converter.

How has your experience been so far with the bdp?

It's been good. Does everything the first post on this thread says.

I found that the BDP would not play one particular DVD either pre or post enhanced firmware update. It is one of those DVD's put out by our esteemed local media distribution companies so I am sure they screwed around with something in their DVD rollout process which causes this BDP to choke on it. Other than that it has been smooth sailing with whatever I hit the BDP with thus far.

An old Phillips region freed DVDP had no problem playing that particular DVD, but that is pointless since that particular Phillips DVDP would even play a chapathi with the right encoding if it was thrust into it. :)

As I said in the earlier post - the BDP does not play Vinyl records. And it does not cook my chapatis (I make my Chicken/Mutton/Veg curry myself). Other than that, it is an extremely well trained dog.

Opened an account on borderlinx and ordered one for $99. As jsmithe suggested went through the prime route. Now the wait.....
Of course will pick up the step down from MX in the mean time...

Hi,
I bought a converter today from maxcon which reads 220/240 V Ac to 110/120 V, 50/60hz.
For appliances rated between 50- 1000 watts. Fuse for overload protection.
Inside is a small manual which says should not be used with power tools and electronic circuitry products such as computers, fax machines, tvs, stereos, vcrs, microwave oven, washing machine etc.
Can this be used for the bdp ? Is there any harm ?

It can be used with BDP. These types of converters are not suitable for inductive loads like FAN, Washing Machine, Refrigerator etc.

Thanks Baiju, there is another product which Is rated for products between 0 to 50 watts. Should I opt for that ?

Hi Guys,

Here is my research,

The price for Panasonic DMP-BDT220 in ebay.in is 12.7K.

But when checked in,
Amazon.com it costs 99$ and using BL it will cost ~8K
Amazon.de it costs 136.06 euro and using BL it will cost ~15K
Amazon.co.uk it costs 139.99 pound and using BL it will cost ~18K

Since I already have a 50W step-up transformer, it is worth to purchase from US Amazon.com, which is the cheapest of all. :yahoo:

-ben

Hi Benravin,

BL is charging USD 94 for normal shipping and 112 for express shipping. I just selected express shipping today

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back