Panasonic P42G10 or Sony 40EX500 ....

Nanu

Hi,

I am just confused between the two both are FullHD, and almost the same price. I would be connecting it to a PC as well as Airtel DTH and PS3.

For Airtel/SD the only thing I watch is Football and a bit of Discovery etc.
So its primary for Gaming via PC and PS3 and for 1080p/720p movies all via HDMI except for the DTH of course.

40% gaming
40% Movies
20% DTH (with Football WC coming up this might become more for the first month or so.)

The 42G10 is for 69,000/- from Panasonic in Pune and the Sony 40EX500 is for 73,000/- as per the website sure it would be as much as the Panasonic if I go and ask around.

I believe the Panasonic is the way to go for me. I like plasmas better for movies and for gaming but how is it to use as a computer monitor? For gaming there is no comparison as Sony will most definitely have higher input lag compared to the Panasonic, and the Panasonic is also better in Contrast ration.

There is no way I can compare the two sets next to each other else the decision would be simpler. Please advice if I am making the right decision before I go and regret my purchase.

I had the LG42PQ60 HD-ready before this, and I like it for sure, how much better is the G10 compared. the LG is not gifted to Dad that's why I need a new one.

Thanks a lot.

Well for gaming via pc,ps3 i would go with the lcd,their sharper/crisper image makes you feel you are in the game rather then watching a game.

for football the G10 will have the edge,but the EX500 will be better then EX400 in this regard.

The panasonic contrast ratio is lower remember to have a good contrast one need deep blacks and bright whites,its black levels will further fall after a few hundreds hrs of use,the overall contrast will take a hit if one has a light source in front or towards the sides of the tv,remember one can see those deep blacks only in a dark room.all those contrast measurements are done in a pitch black room,have a look at this post http://www.hifivision.com/television/9942-32-fullhd-lcd-42-hd-ready-plasma-7.html#post137205

I have played FPS type games in tvs that have SPVA panel in their game mode one can hardly notice the input lag.

Now IMO when one buys in a showroom one can opt for the slighlty cheaper samsung if they are on a tight budget.

But if you don't mind buying in the grey market the sony is hands down a winner.the EX400 is available for 45000 and the EX500 is available for 55000.
Making them one of the cheapest if the not the cheapest FHD lcds one can buy in indian soil.

If you do want to go with a plasma i would wait for the newer G20 plasma rather then the now old g10 plasma which consumes a bit more power .

Last edited:
^^ well for 55K the 40EX500 is a steal, do you know any one around Pune who is selling it at that price?

I somehow have always preferred the PQ of the plasma, this is with comparing the two using a viewsonic 22in monitor and the LG 42PQ60 even though the plasma was not FullHd but still the movies looked much better, with much more life in them. The issue was only with the text as the resolution could not be any higher in the plasma. But since G10 is FullHD this should not be an issue.

I read the link you posted it surly is an interesting read but I am still confused.

Most of the viewing is at night and the room does not have too much direct sunlight in the day either just one small window.

I wish it was possible to test them both next to each other

As I am reading more reviews I am getting more confused, some sites are quoting "n comparison to my old 54g10 plasma this set wins in every single way except viewing angle.

Black level Sony win. It is close to the g10 when it was new, It destroys the g10 after it rises. This set also beats the sammy and the lg plasma for black level. I don't need a meter to show me that.

Motion as discussed a post ago is a non issue on this set. A non issue

Color is much more accurate than the g10 plasma. I don't have a meter for this. When a review comes out that tests this set I am pretty sire its going to have very accurate color temp out of the box and excellent color accuracy. There is very little color push if at all.

Viewing angle is very" LINK

Last edited:
^^ well for 55K the 40EX500 is a steal, do you know any one around Pune who is selling it at that price?

I somehow have always preferred the PQ of the plasma, this is with comparing the two using a viewsonic 22in monitor and the LG 42PQ60 even though the plasma was not FullHd but still the movies looked much better, with much more life in them. The issue was only with the text as the resolution could not be any higher in the plasma. But since G10 is FullHD this should not be an issue.

I read the link you posted it surly is an interesting read but I am still confused.

Most of the viewing is at night and the room does not have too much direct sunlight in the day either just one small window.

I wish it was possible to test them both next to each other

No idea about pune,but you will definetly get in mumbai i believe they are in
1 Heera Paana Shopping Centre at Haji Ali.
2. Manish Market, at Crawford Market.
3 alpha market,Parla.

BTW comparing a a TN monitor like the viewsonic to a plasma is night and day difference.You will need to compared lcds from sony/samsung and some philips models.

^^ and what about
After calibrating it under the options->calibration settings, Game mode produced a lag of ~42ms, and Normal was about ~85ms. The lag seemed slightly noticeable in normal mode though

compared to the G10. gaming and FullHD content is priority

game lag of 42ms seems unaccaptable to me....g10 is about 15ms...

Last edited:
^^ and what about

compared to the G10. gaming and FullHD content is priority

Well like i have said before i have played FPS games like BF2,halo2.haven't noticed the lag.
Best is to take your PS3 to your nearest sony world outlet & check the lag.
Our hifi member '' thekinge '' who has a ps3 & ex500 also hasn't noticed any lag..

....think about it 42ms is nearly half a second delay am I right? That really I believe is a lot for any online gaming needs....But then as adder said the EX500 can be had for about 55K, and the best I have been quoted for the g10 is 68K....This thing just keeps getting more and more confusing....

Can anyone tell me where can I get the best price for the Panasonic g10 in Pune, the Panasonic stre is quoting me 68K, I believe I can find it for cheaper....

Last edited:
....think about it 42ms is nearly half a second delay am I right? That really I believe is a lot for any online gaming needs....But then as adder said the EX500 can be had for about 55K, and the best I have been quoted for the g10 is 68K....This thing just keeps getting more and more confusing....

See i use my brothers gaming rig which has a dell 2407 monitor that has a SPVA panel ,it has a input lag of around 30ms to 50ms,i played many FPS based online games and no issues .
Again best is to take your PS3 to the sony world outlet and check whether you notice any lag.

check this post http://www.hifivision.com/television/10027-need-help-decide-tv-3.html#post138042

Last edited:
+1 for Plasma
I would prefer Plasma over LCD. I dont like the LCD colour gamut...the colours seems to "bleed" out. Besides LCDs never reproduce 100% of the colour spectrum visible to human eyes.

+1 for Plasma
I would prefer Plasma over LCD. I dont like the LCD colour gamut...the colours seems to "bleed" out. Besides LCDs never reproduce 100% of the colour spectrum visible to human eyes.

i am sorry but could you shed some light on that.

+1 for Plasma

Displays (whether LCDs or Plasmas) aren't supposed to show the entire spectrum of colors visible to the human eyes. Their job is to show colors that correctly conform to Industry Standard ITU-R BT.709 also known as Rec.709. A short write-up on 709 (from the avforums website) is copied below for reference.

Industry Standard ITU-R BT.709 also known as Rec.709

This standard tells us where the primary colours (red, green and blue) and the secondary colours (cyan, magenta, yellow) should be for playback on 8 bit video. To measure this we use the CIE Chart

If a display is unable to conform to this standard then it is unable to display content from Film Studios and TV broadcasters who master material at these levels for 8bit video (DVD, HDTV and Blu-ray). Colour points (or colour gamuts) that are wider than the Rec.709 standard on a TV will over saturate colours and add in unwanted artefacts. As the material is mastered at the standard any display showing colours wider is adding in what cannot possibily be there and as such is changing the desired playback of the material

The Rec.709 HDTV standard gives the accepted colour points and white balance for High definition programming and playback. The Rec709 standard within the review CIE charts are represented by the black triangle and colour points. This is used as a reference point against which all HDTV and HD Projectors are tested within our reviews.

Well like i have said before i have played FPS games like BF2,halo2.haven't noticed the lag.
Best is to take your PS3 to your nearest sony world outlet & check the lag.
Our hifi member '' thekinge '' who has a ps3 & ex500 also hasn't noticed any lag..

See i use my brothers gaming rig which has a dell 2407 monitor that has a SPVA panel ,it has a input lag of around 30ms to 50ms,i played many FPS based online games and no issues .
Again best is to take your PS3 to the sony world outlet and check whether you notice any lag.

check this post http://www.hifivision.com/television/10027-need-help-decide-tv-3.html#post138042

Thanks for posting the reference to my post adder. I do own a 46EX500 and I am quite happy with it. Keep in mind that I have not calibrated it yet, but even the un-calibrated TV is ok. I recently purchased Eye One L2 colorimeter and hopefully will calibrate the TV to get as close as possible to Rec.709 spec. Oh and yes, for my casual gaming, this TV works just fine. I also like the matte finish of the screen which helps a lot in reducing glare since at least 50% of my viewing is in daylight with curtains open. Besides, the TV has good off viewing angles i.e., the video looks the same even when viewed at a 30 40 degree angle.

Last edited:
@adder, I think you have been answering my queries at TE as well, my username there is Infected....Thanks a lot though you have been of great help.

@adder, I think you have been answering my queries at TE as well, my username there is Infected....Thanks a lot though you have been of great help.

Hey glad to know you are in this forum too infected.:) many other members like chaos,techead,cranky etc are here as well.

How is the p42S10 in comparison...?

I spoke to both the Showrooms today...
and I have the following Quotes:

Panasonic 42G10 for 68K
Sony 40EX500 for 69K

Any place apart from Ebay where I can buy them cheaper locally?

I have heard not so good things about the G10's SD capability, How much better is BE3 in the 40Ex500 compared?
Though this is only for watching football, so i dont know how much consideration I should give that. MOst of the time it would be connected to a PC to movies, and games and also to a PS3 like I stated before....

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back