Paradigm cinema 70CT vs Def tech procinema 600 vs energy take classic 5.1

vishal996

Hey guys,

I need your expert advise on the following speakers. I am looking for a 5.1 setup with the Denon 1610 receiver. I am torn between the following speakers and need your expert advise:

1) Paradigm cinema 70ct
2) Def tech pro cinema 600
3) Energy take classic 5.1
4) Wharfedale moviestar 70+

I am a novice to HT and this is going to be my first buy. Yesterday i auditioned the wharfedale moviestar 70+ and the paradigm cinema 70 and surprisingly i found the wharfedale to sound better (i'm not sure if it was due to the setting)....it was with the denon 1610 receiver....

Today i auditioned the def tech pro cinema 600 and the paradigm ct 70 and somehow the paradigm sounded much better...infact they sounded better than the def tech (again it was setup with the 1610 receiver)

I dont have the chance to audition the take classic in Pune.

I also heard the Anthony Gallo Nuclues Micro with the 1610 and they sounded good as well....however there arent too many reviews around for me to take a decision on them...(incase i get a good deal with them)

As u'll can see i'm highly confused at this point and hence would highly appreciate suggestions that help me in finalising the speaker package. Thanks in advance!

How much does the Anthony Gallo Nucleus micro cost?

If you auditioned all with the same denon 1610, what's holding you back? Were the difference in the speaker package only slight?
If you list or elaborate on what you found good or bad in those, members will be identify your taste and suggest suitable alternatives.

And lastly kudos for doing the searching and starting a specific thread on it. Appreciate the info you have shared too.

Edit: Of these I have spent quite some time with Paradigm Ct110/90 and found them to be quite good, esp the sub which seemed fast and tight.

Thanks iaudio,

To put things into perspective let me give a rough idea on the various packages...

1) Denon 1610 + Paradigm Ct 70 - 55K (best offer)

2) 1610 + def tech procinema 600 (MRP 77.5K.....i'm not sure but maybe i cud try n bargain upto 60 - 65K)

3) 1610 + Energy take classic (57-60K)

4)1610 + wharfedale moviestar 70+ (used demo piece) - 42.5K

5)1610 + new wharfedale moviestar 70+ - 50-52K

6) 1610 + polk audio rm 6750 - 45K

7) 1610 + anthony gallo nucleus micro - 63K (this is not confirmed but a friend of mine who is in this business said he may be able to get me these prices...)

I dont know how to describe my auditions in technical terms like our experts in this forum...so may be hard to do it....

i had almost finalised the 1610 +moviestar 70+ package before i spoke to a expert friend of mine n i was told that my ears will feel tired after listening to them for a while n so i shud increase my budget n invest in better speakers...

hence i went n auditioned the anthony gallo,paradigm n def tech...(no audition available for energy take classic)

Now i'm totally confused as to which of these packages is the best (VFM). Is it worth spending the extra money for the above named speakers. If so which one best suits the bill?

Any help on this matter wud be highly appreciated...thanks!

I may consider the Paradigm Ct 90 + 1610 only if it comes around 60K and it is significantly better than the Paradigm Ct 70

Vishal,

Can you post the prices of Paradigm 70 and 90 alone ? A friend of mine is interested too..

Kittu

Vishal, are you fixed on a sub sat set up? any reason you are not looking at standmounts/floorstanders etc?

I may consider the Paradigm Ct 90 + 1610 only if it comes around 60K and it is significantly better than the Paradigm Ct 70

Hi,

I too agree with Vishal, CT90 is better than CT70, infact I am also planning to buy one.

Aseem

Paradigm CT 70 alone costs 33K (MRP) and CT90 around 39K

Sorry for the confusion.. i was actually asking if the CT 90 was much better than the CT 70 and was it worth paying extra for the CT 90.

I should also add that my room size is 17X12 and the viewing distance is 12". Also my preference is 60% music and 40% movies.

I am particularly looking for a 5.1 setup cos i am in the final stages of my room renovation and i have left room only for the 5.1 setup. (Also i dont want to go thru the hassle of choosing separate subs, surrounds, centre speakers etc.)

Guys i need serious help from my set of selections...although anybody having suggestions for another brand in the same price range are welcome to mention so....(however i doubt i will be able to audition them in Pune so i will have to rely on the expert opinion in this forum)

Cheers!

Frankly, Vishal, if it is 60 music and 40 movies, then the RIGHT choice would be to go in for FS/BS instead of satellites.

The room size is also adequate ie. 17 x 12. Mine is 15 x 11, and that room has a Wharf Moviestar 70+. My AVR has a zone 2 capability. The zone 2 output feeds to Sony 3 way bass reflex FS (Peak 90W) placed in another room via a Norge 1000.

Without any doubt would say that the zone 2 is far superior for music ... more balanced, neutral, far more depth and room filling as compared to the Moviestar. The Moviestar satellites are bright and yes, you tend to get fatigue after 2-3 hours of listening. But, I must add, the Moviestars have crystal clear output and excellent for 'instrumentals'. Vocals come out much better in the Sony FS.

Suggest, you again reconsider your thinking ..... it would make a lot more sense going ahead with FS/BS, if music is a priority ..... agreed, you might have to spend more. That, one can space out by going ahead with the fronts now, then centre and later with the rear and sub-woofer. Try looking at the Wharf Diamond series, since you won't need to keep a search on for the different speakers.

Today i auditioned the def tech pro cinema 600 and the paradigm ct 70 and somehow the paradigm sounded much better...infact they sounded better than the def tech (again it was setup with the 1610 receiver

Where did you audition the def tech in Pune

Thanks avidyarthy,

i know that the sound quality of a good set of FS/BS will not be matched by satellites... but as i mentioned i have renovated my room always keeping the satellites in mind.... also I wud prefer to buy the entire set of speakers/amps/subwoofer at one shot and forget abt it for atleast 5-6 years.... cos i dont think i'll have the patience to search for separate pieces one by one...

Hence i've decided on a good 5.1 setup which i shud enjoy for 5 years w/o getting fatigued.

@ sarvesh.sharma: i auditioned them both at The Sound Factor and i found the Paradigm better than Def tech too!!

Today i auditioned the def tech pro cinema 600 and the paradigm ct 70 and somehow the paradigm sounded much better...infact they sounded better than the def tech (again it was setup with the 1610 receiver

Where did you audition the def tech in Pune

Thanks avidyarthy,

i know that the sound quality of a good set of FS/BS will not be matched by satellites... but as i mentioned i have renovated my room always keeping the satellites in mind.... also I wud prefer to buy the entire set of speakers/amps/subwoofer at one shot and forget abt it for atleast 5-6 years.... cos i dont think i'll have the patience to search for separate pieces one by one...

Hence i've decided on a good 5.1 setup which i shud enjoy for 5 years w/o getting fatigued.

@ sarvesh.sharma: i auditioned them both at The Sound Factor and i found the Paradigm better than Def tech too!!

@ Vishal,

pls check out my review of the def tech and paradigms on the link below, I too found the paradigms to be better.

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/11463-tower-speakers-denon-1911-a-2.html#post161394

Between the 70ct and 90ct there are only a few of differences:
1) sensitivity 70ct- 87db , 90ct - 88 db .....barely any difference
2) input RMS : 40W and 50W - can make a difference
3) 90ct has bigger midrange driver
4) Included Subwoofer - 250W and 360W......Big difference

You can now choose if the extra 6k is worth the above to you, its your choice completely.......I would have taken the 90ct.

Thanks Blue Floyd,

Based on the reviews and suggestions ive received on this forum i conclude that the Paradigm ct 70/90 are better than the def tech...

Can anyone suggest how Anthony Gallo, Energy take classic fare as compared to paradigm ct 70/90...

Also whether its worth spending extra 15-20k for the above speakers as compared to the wharfedale moviestar 70+

One more question is that if the speakers are bought from USA, can they be connected straight to the receivers bought from here?

Yes for both subs and sats-though in the case of subs, the amp might have a different voltage.

>One more question is that if the speakers are bought from USA, can they be connected straight to the receivers bought from here?

Vishal,

The prices you have quoted are pretty decent I dont think you really need to bring the speakers from abroad. And coming to the speakers choice since you can audition all 4 listed in thread @ one place in pune why dont you repeatedly play your selection and give your ears the option to make the final call.

Kittu:cool:

I believe in Pune only 70ct & pro cinema 600 are available for demo @ sound factor and Movistar @ Aquarius electronics, no energy take in Pune.

Energy take can be auditioned at AV Excellence, Dole Patil Road. However CT90 is better.

My bad luck...AV Excellence had energy classic but said they just sold their last piece yesterday... so no way to audition energy take classic now.

Unfortunately no single place has all three speakers together... in any case does wharfedale moviestar 70+ stand a chance in front of the speakers we r talking about or shud i forget the wharfs and just concentrate on the paradigm, take classic and anthony gallo?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back