Pass B1 and Norge Integration

sann

A month back I became a happy member of the DIY Pass B1 preamp owners club. Here is the story of this integration, I am sharing with all of you.

It was a lazy Sunday afternoon when FM Omishra accepted my invitation to visit my place and listen to my setup, he came along with his recently built Pass B1 preamp.

we played through the following equipment chain setup:
1. PS3 - HDMI - Headphone out of Onkyo AVR(R590) - Norge Preamp - Norge Power amp - Focal Chorus 706V
2. PS3 - HDMI - Headphone out of Onkyo AVR(R590) - Pass B1 Preamp - Norge Power amp - Focal Chorus 706V

I will refrain myself from describing the sound output, it will be injustis to Focal's as the source used above is a let down for music listening (I came to know this after adding Gatorized Caiman to the chain), I will only tell you what change the B1 brought.

After listening the setup 1 for some time with diffrent types of music, we connected Pass B1 to the chain (setup 2), and suddenly the feel and atmosfere changed, the sound was more musical in addition to the well known B1 characteristics the "clean and clear sound".

To confirm our finding we played a mono CD, and the tabla peice in 'Huzoor aapka bhi ehtaram karta chaloon' by Jagjit Singh, and it was clearly evident that B1 had the honest sound.

Immediately after Omishra left, I opted for B1 PCB's (Thanks again Sachin) and started procuring components.

I did not want a separate preamp cabinet and thought about housing the B1 in the Norge preamp cabinet, once the soldering was complete, I started discussing about the layout, input selection, switching and other things with Omishra, he advised me to keep the input path short and switch the inputs close to the source, and offered me to build a relay switch circuit, I took my preamp to his place and the surgery started.

The pre amp looked like this before
020420121759.jpg

070420121783.jpg

on the operation table
070420121784.jpg

Everything fitted, the 5V relay board could be seen on right, the source selector is at front, which switches the input close to the input source.
080420121790.jpg

There is one relay for o/p as well, which is operated by a toggle switch at front used for switching between B1 and the Norge preamp.
080420121786.jpg

I action
260420121863.jpg

I did a lot of listening tests as it has become very easy to do the A/B between preamps using the switch in front.

Here are my observations:
1. The Rcore transformer and the new PS which powers the Norge preamp as well, has improved the Norge pre performance.
2. B1 gives clear vocals.
3. The Norge midrange seems colored, and forward sounding.
4. Overall listening to B1 is more soothing.

The toroidal transformer which was removed from the preamp, is used to make a linear PSU for Caiman. Will write about it later.

Thanks to Omishra, for spending your time during the weekend, doing everything needed for making this happen. Without your help this wouldn't have been possible.

Thanks for reading.

-Happy Listening
-Sann

Thanks for your kind words, Even I was interested in knowing the result of A/B between those and nice to know that PS itself improved it a lot. PASS B1 is PASS B1, nothing more could be told about it.

Great effort.

What I understand B1 by Nelson is a high gain preamp. How are you handling the gain ?

Do you know of any company that makes toroidal based external power supplies in India ?

Great effort.

What I understand B1 by Nelson is a high gain preamp. How are you handling the gain ?

Do you know of any company that makes toroidal based external power supplies in India ?

Pass B1 is a buffer with no gain.Omishra has designed this PS using R-core trafo.

Regards,
Sachin

No its not high gain. In fact its output = 1 x input, gain 1. Norge preamp has more gain, IMO >2. I don't remember exact values now.

I am not yet came across. But using R-core/toroidal you can build through DIY route.

Hi sachu,

If we replace the stock preamp of a Norge Integrated, using the same stock Power supply will we get a good SQ. Because one of our forum members is not happy with the SQ of Norge Concert 1000 amp and just thinking if this can be solved by the Nelson B1.

N.Murali

Hi sachu,

If we replace the stock preamp of a Norge Integrated, using the same stock Power supply will we get a good SQ. Because one of our forum members is not happy with the SQ of Norge Concert 1000 amp and just thinking if this can be solved by the Nelson B1.

N.Murali

Yes Murli,
It should improve sound.Omishra and Sandeep has done this in Norge Preamp with very good result.

Regards,
Sachin

Hi Sann,

Thanks a lot for sharing the info as I had requested earlier. Very informative!
Next time, pls do join us when the Pune meet takes place as would love to hear the 'enhanced' Pre along with the power amps :licklips:

Kudos to FM's Omishra & Sachu888, you guys ROCK :clapping:

Waiting for more such 'operations' to take place in the near future ;)

Wish you guys were staying nearby, would have had fun playing with the stuff that you guys make !

:)

No its not high gain. In fact its output = 1 x input, gain 1. Norge preamp has more gain, IMO >2. I don't remember exact values now.

I am not yet came across. But using R-core/toroidal you can build through DIY route.

Hi Omisraji,

Can you share the costing details component wise, so that more people will be interested for an upgrade.

N.Murali

Thank you all for visiting the thread and the encouragement.

Regards,
Sann

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back