Pass B1

Rohit, you are welcome to drop in anytime. I am sure, the pass B1 will will do wonders to the AP. I have heard the AP at Chennai as well as the Pune HiFi meet. However at Chennai meet, the AP combo I heard was one of the best I have heard till date.

Expect me soon Sir! :)

Another observation that I have from the Pass B1 build is that the sound is much refined if I have the volume on the main amp very high and have volume control on the Pass B1 low. The dynamics improve a lot controlling the volume on the pass b1 rather than on the amp. The pass b1 allows me to have enough headroom for controlling the volume. Not sure what is happening. It looks like lowering the volume on the amp throws away some music.

My observation on Pass B1 which Captn. brought to my house.

It has a laid back and refined sound if the source is good and moreover it should match.

It works very well with my Music hall CD player and it could not do wonders with SQ.Touch.

I used to play SQ.Touch directly with my Power amp sounds good and it is acting as pre itself. The magic it could create when played directly is not coming when it pass thru B1. May be once again i have to experiment with another kit and also read the specs for impedance matching.

Regards

It has a laid back and refined sound if the source is good and moreover it should match.

It works very well with my Music hall CD player and it could not do wonders with SQ.Touch.

I used to play SQ.Touch directly with my Power amp sounds good and it is acting as pre itself. The magic it could create when played directly is not coming when it pass thru B1. May be once again i have to experiment with another kit and also read the specs for impedance matching.

Regards

There could be a problem with LDR volume control.It has impedance of only 13k which may not be suitable for SQ Touch.You may need to ad an active preamp like SSP to get good low frequencies.New B1 kit does not feature LDR volume control.I am providing good quality TE 47K dual pot to address this issue.

Regards,
Sachin

Regards
IMO captain's b1 has LSA which is low Impenance 13K. That could load few sources. But if that's hidden behind buffer then it makes wonder.
The member of current GB are using 47 K stereo pot of TE make. They should not get this experience and it will match through out for all sources. Also they need not worry about input buffer.

Edit: just saw Sachin's and my posts crossed each other:)

Received Source Selector boards

dsc05507lf.jpg

Regards,
Sachin

I just completed building the source selector. It is working fine.

30u3itk.jpg

21j3byu.jpg

28auvzr.jpg

vdd4kx.jpg

I just completed building the source selector. It is working fine.

30u3itk.jpg

21j3byu.jpg

28auvzr.jpg

vdd4kx.jpg

Quad, nice looking. thanks for being first to prove.
It seems R1 is different than 4.7K, LED is too bright. I told sachin to put all R1-R10 as 4.7k ohms.

Quad, nice looking. thanks for being first to prove.
It seems R1 is different than 4.7K, LED is too bright. I told sachin to put all R1-R10 as 4.7k ohms.

Om, I used 1K for R1-R5, as per the calculation below

LED calculator for single LEDs

If it is too bright, we can try 1.5K , 1/8W.

One minor bug in the layout - at the output connector, Left and Right channels got reversed. It will
be fixed if there is a future group buy.

Last edited:
Om, I used 1K for R1-R5, as per the calculation below

LED calculator for single LEDs

If it is too bright, we can try 1.5K , 1/8W.

One minor bug in the layout - at the output connector, Left and Right got reversed. It will
be fixed if there is a future group buy.
Those calculators use max power for LED. Red LED works minimum 2-2.2mA. Here it's just indicator. So you can try putting that 4.7K and let us know. It will save Sachin's effort of buying, packing another separate part.

Yes that bug I observed after fabrication proceeded. That may be when we switched layers of output screw terminals from bottom to top, during final stage.

Those calculators use max power for LED. Red LED works minimum 2-2.2mA. Here it's just indicator. So you can try putting that 4.7K and let us know. It will save Sachin's effort of buying, packing another separate part.

Yes that bug I observed after fabrication proceeded. That may be when we switched layers of output screw terminals from bottom to top, during final stage.

Verified - LED works fine with 4.7K with proper brightness.
Thanks, Om!

Any update on the sending of the kits?

Hi Keith,
I am waiting for only one 221k resister for B1,which was on back order.I noticed this when I was packing Murli N kit last week.I am expecting that part in 2 days.I will start shipping kits once I receive it.I guess it will take two more days.

Regards,
Sachin

Hi Keith,
I am waiting for only one 221k resister for B1,which was on back order.I noticed this when I was packing Murli N kit last week.I am expecting that part in 2 days.I will start shipping kits once I receive it.I guess it will take two more days.

Regards,
Sachin
Oh, Ok - I just asked because there has been no mention of the kits by anyone so I assumed these had been sent out and for some reason everybody except me has received it. But, no hurry.

Finally my Pass B1, SSP, Lightspeed volume control, PS kit and transformer found a new home inside the chiller tray of my refrigerator. I was able to drill perfect holes for the 4 RCA input/output sockets and two potentiometers. For putting a toggle switch and a led housing, I require larger hole. So stuck because of practical difficulty in accommodating the switch and the power led. I think there is still space left in the chiller tray to accommodate a Phono Preamp Circuit. For that I will have to trouble Sachin to provide me the kit :licklips:

Next project will be housing the Mauro Penasa monoblocks in the freezer section.

CIMG0113.JPG

CIMG0111.JPG

CIMG0108.JPG

CIMG0110.JPG

^^^^ :thumbsup: to an 'Audiophile' fridge :p

Hope the music delivered isn't cold & un involving :D

Hi all,
Received pending components yesterday,shipped kits to following members
1.thecoolsestone
2.NGD+Atharva
3.Srinisunder

I will ship all remaining kits in 2-3 days.

Regards,
Sachin

Back