PC for MUSIC ONLY

I took my old, best-beloved sound card off the shelf. Last time I did this, all I got was a nasty buzzing noise. This time, I cleaned up the contacts and the i/o sockets with Deoxit, and the back (uppermost in the tower case, therefore crud-collecting) with IPA ...and got nice sound first try.

How does it compare with ODAC? It's hard to say, which means it has to be close. I haven't tried with the headphones yet. But hey, this was obsolete clearance stock when I bought it, maybe 2000/01/02: fifteen-year-old technology.

I wish I could try it on a higher-end system, but my big tower case, with its heavy cpu cooler, won't travel well, especially not on Chennai roads.

Offtopic...

It's a bit sad to say this of a first love, but taking to headphones and classical music, no, the ancient RME does not beat the ODAC. It's strange: it is mostly really nice, easy to listen to, foot tapping and all and then... what was that? There are some sounds it just doesn't seem to do right at all.

Offtopic...

It's a bit sad to say this of a first love, but taking to headphones and classical music, no, the ancient RME does not beat the ODAC. It's strange: it is mostly really nice, easy to listen to, foot tapping and all and then... what was that? There are some sounds it just doesn't seem to do right at all.

Goblins.... ! They are everywhere in the audio chain. Only you never see them. And the audiophools imagine they are hearing things... Yeahehehehawhaw...!

That's PC Noise for you... emi and stuff. Digital is Digital you say??!! Muhahahawhawhaw..!

"Come come my little pets... Unleash yourself on these hapless human beings who think they know it all..." [emoji38]
G0bble

That's PC Noise for you

Funny PC noise if it knows to infect the clash of symbols and not much else! No, I think it is an old DAC chip that, however much it amazed me a decade ago, is not up to the mark today.

But either theory could be right! Or something else entirely!

Now now....have I started noticing jitter after following this thread for a few days on my headphones ???
No joke this ! (Take it jokingly anyway)

Now now....have I started noticing jitter after following this thread for a few days on my headphones ???
No joke this ! (Take it jokingly anyway)
Now you are getting jittery. Better switch over to a cables thread for a few days so you can calm down [emoji6]

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back