PeeCeeBee

My prototype stereo system using these boards.

DSC00786.JPG

DSC00789.JPG

DSC00792.JPG

Nice work Shaan

Hi saheb.

Yes all the parts are available in the local market. I got all these from Kolkata chandni market.

Wonderful!!! I particularly like the base/stand - I'm sure it works better than any isolator.

Thanks Keith.

You are absolutely correct. The 'Pagdi' is made from hay-straw and is bonded with jute strings. Naturalist type shock-absorber, available in music instruments/drums shops for as cheap as 50 rupees per pair. :)

Heard the the PeeCeeBee V3 power amplifier yesterday connected to Cayin SC-6LS , Denon DCD1500AE and Usher V602, all interconnects & Speaker Cable from The Chord Company. To say the least I'm damn throughly impressed by the amps power and rhytm to drive a 87/85.6 db speaker to levels unimaginable.It is a very detailed and musical amplifier. The bass was superb too. Finally when he disclosed the price , I almost fainted! My next amp for sure.

Last edited:
I am glad to hear that Anujda. I also enjoyed the session throughout!

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Hi Shaan,
Any progress on the ver4 board? Or at least some teasers like its (subjective) performance compared to v1 through 3, power into 8 Ohm load, and most importantly the harmonic profile?

I saw the graphs you've put up at diyaudio, and they're tantalising :thumbsup:

I have posted some subjective impressions of V4 in diyAudio. Power will depend on PSU voltage. Harmonic profile will be uploaded shortly. This amp has close to 0.001% THD so I have to get a tone source that has less. Right now I am actually very close to having such a source.
:)

Nice :thumbsup:

Are you also planning the PSU board/kit to go with it? Or at least the schematic users could build on their own? Something regulated would be real nice:)

Heard the the PeeCeeBee V3 power amplifier yesterday connected to Cayin SC-6LS , Denon DCD1500AE and Usher V602, all interconnects & Speaker Cable from The Chord Company. To say the least I'm damn throughly impressed by the amps power and rhytm to drive a 87/85.6 db speaker to levels unimaginable.It is a very detailed and musical amplifier. The bass was superb too. Finally when he disclosed the price , I almost fainted! My next amp for sure.

Our impression of the amp seems to be very much alike, we both have the same line of speakers of course. I was also impressed by the rhythm the amp was able to exude, thoroughly impressed and waiting to hear V4 now.
I am very curious to know how it sounded with a tube pre like yours.

Our impression of the amp seems to be very much alike, we both have the same line of speakers of course. I was also impressed by the rhythm the amp was able to exude, thoroughly impressed and waiting to hear V4 now.
I am very curious to know how it sounded with a tube pre like yours.

It sounded beautiful detailed , rhythmic and transparent with the tube pre. I was using all EH tubes and didn't use any Mullard CV4003/4004 or BEL ECC82/83S series,despite that the sound had a drive and all the characteristics of a satisfying two channel amp and experience. I was thinking of a Marantz 6005/6/7 for a bedroom system with Usher S520, but this little amp beats the Marantz in almost all aspect costing three times less. That's a feat. The Marantz will curl up and die if Blue Man Group or Mezzanine plays at 85/90db on Usher V602 for an hour or more.

Nice :thumbsup:

Are you also planning the PSU board/kit to go with it? Or at least the schematic users could build on their own? Something regulated would be real nice:)

Hi jls.

A simple dual rail PSU with genuine capacitors is all that is needed. Still a better PSU won't hurt. I was thinking of making one to go with V4, but there are so many already available online that I am thinking twice. Adding a schematic for a suitable PSU is no pain at all, however.

Sounds good :). I used 8" 40W 'fullrange' speakers and the clay pots are actually 'ghatams'. Back in 1998, these pots cost me around Rs.200-300 each. It was hell of a task to bring them home few km away by myself. I was in 8th std. Brought it home in a rickshaw. I still remember rickshawala's smile.

Mom was furious for spending all this money on a pair of clay pots. Also it's no space saver. It was more elliptical in shape than round (like an egg). The mouth of the pot was perfect fit for 8". The height of the pot was 3' I remember.

In short, the tallest clay pot I have seen. If you hit it, it produced 'ding' sound like a bell. The finish of the pot wasn't smooth. They said they made it by hand unlike other pots that were made on potter's wheel (I bought it directly from the kiln).

I used a uPC1230H power board and pre from a sony amp. Sound was amazing. The bass was so well defined. My neighbours with their imported sony hifi inquired me about my new 'system' and told me it sounded pretty impressive.

I always played cross of changes by enigma in that. The feeling still lingers in my mind like yesterday. Few months ago I thought of buying a pair of pots for old time sake, but there was no kiln or potters. I checked out some huge aluminium pots fit for 12", but lost my interest in them.

The clay pot and the diy amp (my first serious diy) ended up on my friend's posh apartment who gave me a pair of BS and some money in exchange.

That BS was part of his Sony hifi. Only mod we made was painting the pot so as to look like a show piece vase or else his mom would have thrown it out for it being a mere clay pot (unfit for their status). Sorry for exaggerating. Shaan bhai's 'pot' brought back a flood of good old memories.

Though this is an old post, it brought back some memories for me too. I used to have a friend who used a similar arrangement with a EL84 based amplifier salvaged from a philips radio. I had my speakers mounted in apple boxes :)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back