Simple Symmetrical Amplifier by Andrej Lackner

shaan

Hi everybody.

As you may or may not know, the SSA(Simple Symmetrical Amplifier) by Andrej Lackner aka LazyCat is rockin' the diyAudio. I build one and would like to share my experience through the following quote from diyAudio:-

Hello everybody!

Glad to see this great thread moving forward(which it should).

I'm here to share the story of my re-incarnated SSA which I built a week ago.

As the pictures show I built the front end and the VAS+cascode on different boards and interconnected them with 7 wires. BC550C/560C as input, same as cascodes, BD139/140 regulars as VAS, 1N4148s for bias setting and 1058/162 Laterals as outputs. The diodes set the bias to a nice 150mA through the FETs with +-25VDC supply. Total Iq is 180mA. 5pF silver mica caps as bandlimiters in the VAS and 5.6pF(Old Philips ceramic) as input RF filter. Offset control with two 10K small pots from +-15V zeners, filtered with 1uF siemens MKT. Power to the VAS and the front end is supplied through two 1N4007s with 1uF before them and 1uF+1000uF after. 100ohm gate stoppers and no Zobel at the output.

The amplifier worked like a charm the very first time it was turned on and after setting the offset I was listening to music within 5 minutes of the first run.

No hum, No noise, No offset problem, No overheating, No bias drifting, No nothing!!!!! What is this amplifier!?

Music didn't stop for two hours. And people, what dynamics, what purity, what bass, what mid and overall, what sparkling treble! The speakers were singing!

Honestly, I think my fullrange drivers are not truly full-range at all. But I didn't realize what they were capable of until they met SSA! I have found the holy grail of amplifiers!

Great vocals, both male and female, sitar, sarod, tanpura, mridangam, sarangi, guitar, piano, drums, flutes, violins, cellos, saxes, kicks, claps, cymbals, crashes, snares, bells, synthetics... EVERYTHING sounds JUST RIGHT... what a pleasure!

Tonal character unchanged from very low volume right upto very high! How does SSA do this? No other amp I have built or listened can successfully show this characteristic and SSA does it with ease, even with my 4" $2 drivers! How, where's the magic?

The sound is absolutely non-disturbing for long listening trials. I live with my mom and sis. And they are excellent and sensitive natural scopes:)P) for the testing of this very parameter. In the past they have helped me accurately decide an amp's "obstructive" or "intrusive" or "artificial" or "just bad" character. They say that when I play music through a good amp it feels like someone else is present in my room and is singing or like there are real musical instruments being played in my room, feels real from outside. For the SSA, their remarks are "NATURAL" and "LOVELY".

All these with a 5 meter coax from an AC'97 sound card and an input cap which is, ahem, a cheap bipolar 10uF electrolytic.

SSA is a milestone for its simplicity, a benchmark for its speed, a crown jewell for its music.

Although not a groundbreaking new topology, the SSA has something unique to offer, both technically and sonically. Follow the link below to get the big picture in a nutshell.

20 Reasons To Go For SSA

Tested and recommended by many diy-ers and some of the masters of audio tech, this amplifier is one of the new hotties in the diy ramp.

I built mine in a dot board and it went like a piece of cake and the sound it produces is incomparable to any CFB amps I have built or heard. Yes SSA is a split-current-feedback power amplifier, currently having at least 4 versions having different output configs and devices that will suit almost everybody's needs.

Below is some shots of my build and the schema I followed. There are more schematics of different versions in the original thread in diyAudio.

Links:-
Nico's SSA

SSA Balanced IGBT Basic

Shaan's Lateral MOSFET SSA and PCB.

Cheers.

shaan

DSC00126.JPG

DSC00127.JPG

DSC00128.JPG

DSC00131.JPG

SSAschema.png

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Went through your comments on the diyaudio forum, seems you are very happy with the amp. Enjoy your DIY amp and post any future updates/upgrades.

You'd probably get more eyeballs and feedback on this in the DIY section than in the Amplifier section.

Regards
Teja

Hi Teja. How can I transfer it to the DIY section? Do I have to ask the mods? How do I do?

Thanks.

good show man.
i remember reading about this some time ago. ditched because there was no pcb available and the schematic looked a bit complex for doing p2p, dont have that much skill with doing layouts. is there a pcb available for this somewhere. where did you source the transistors from, are they available locally.

Hi doors, I am soon going to have a bunch of PCBs for my version of SSA. I will update as soon I get them.

SSA PeeCeeBee

For the interested.

Attachments

• SSA_PEECEEBEE_BOTTOM_TOPVIEW.pdf
    118.9 KB · Views: 168
  • SSA_PEECEEBEE_SILKSCREEN.pdf
    8.5 KB · Views: 126
Welcome, and congratulations. Nice P-P build.
I always feel these configs sound well. I have similar but configurable Iq kind of amp in use.

Hi doors, I am soon going to have a bunch of PCBs for my version of SSA. I will update as soon I get them.

If you need PCB designed please let me know. I will take one week but do it. There are few in DIY section, latest one is F5 turbo. But that won't be for commercial benefit and dedicated to DIY community. :D

Edit: just saw, your PCB is almost ready for production. Congrats once again.

Last edited:
Very nice and neat build shaan. I am total noob in electronics, but still will read links you have provided. Thanks for sharing.
Regards

Welcome, and congratulations. Nice P-P build.
I always feel these configs sound well. I have similar but configurable Iq kind of amp in use. If you need PCB designed please let me know. I will take one week but do it. There are few in DIY section, latest one is F5 turbo. But that won't be for commercial benefit and dedicated to DIY community. :D

Edit: just saw, your PCB is almost ready for production. Congrats once again.

Hi omishra. Thanks. An Indonesian friend of mine has build this board and you can see the pics of the complete boards below and see what he has to say about the sound here:- Naf's Reaction to SSA sound

20120923_160003_crp_2.jpg

20120929_103131_rsz.jpg

20120929_103110_rsz.jpg

nafssa1.jpg

nafssa2.jpg

Nice Build Shaan

Thank you Kanwar.

Very nice and neat build shaan. I am total noob in electronics, but still will read links you have provided. Thanks for sharing.
Regards

Thanks Hiten.

Shaan,

Excellent p2p. Takes me back several years (decades now!!)
back. This looks like a good candidate for me to build. Not sure of the components though in the local market. Did you get them easily??

BTW your Indonesian friends board is looking good.

cheers,

Shaan,

Excellent p2p. Takes me back several years (decades now!!)
back.

Thanks gopib. I like doing P2P. :)

This looks like a good candidate for me to build. Not sure of the components though in the local market. Did you get them easily??

The components are commonly available and are cheap transistors like BC550/BC560 and BD139/BD140. The MOSFETs are the only comparatively expensive parts at Rs160/- per device.

BTW your Indonesian friends board is looking good.

cheers,

Yeah he built it as soon as I uploaded it in diyAudio. Fast guy!

Here is a shot of his second channel with better capacitors.

20121007_164144_rsz.jpg

20121007_224506_rsz.jpg

Last edited:
A Little info on parts and availability...

The SSA that I built on veroboard uses common and cheap BJTs like BC550/BC560 and BD139/BD140. The output devices are popular Hitachi(now Renesas) Lateral MOSFETs having positive temperature coefficient that inherently protects the MOSFETs from thermal runaway, i.e. no need for VBE multiplier. All these parts including all the passive components are available cheaply in local electromarket. The MOSFETs aren't very cheap; BUT, at Rs160/- per device they aren't very expensive either, and are totally worth buying for the sound quality and self protection they bring with.

Also, the FET bias is autoset with two 1N4148 diodes and all that is needed is setting the offset with two pots, and once set the offset doesn't vary more than +-10mV if the two input BJTs are thermally coupled, can be done easily with a zip tie(cable tie). All in all a very easy setup for exceptional sound quality.

Adding more, the amp can easily be scaled up for stable amplification upto ~10MHz with 1500V/uS slew rate! Advantage of current feedback.

The schematic shows minimal compensation for a bandwidth of about 1MHz and has more than 400V/uS slew rate! If you need a damn FAST amplifier then you are in the right place.

Last edited:
Adding more, the amp can easily be scaled up for stable amplification upto ~10MHz with 1500V/uS slew rate! Advantage of current feedback.

The schematic shows minimal compensation for a bandwidth of about 1MHz and has more than 400V/uS slew rate! If you need a damn FAST amplifier then you are in the right place.

Congratulations!!

Impressive Slew rate !!

I admit the SSP has passed the listening tests. let us dig out the technicl numbers.
Please let us know the folowing, if available.

1. Output power in 4 Ohms and 8 Ohms
2. THD at the above rated power [ 20hz -20khz]
3. Input sensitivity required for the rated power.
4. damping Factor in 8 ohms.
5. Any other Spec you want to share.

Prima facie it seems SSA will be an ideal candidate for 3-way Active systems, considering its small size and cost

We will pair up SSA with SSP

Regards,

Vipin.

Last edited:
shaan,
The aboveboard SSA is work of art , never seen such neat bottom wiring.
I dont like the KELTRONs, as there are many copies.originals also for inverter like products.

Spending some 600 on Power filtering in /out capacitors will be good.

Hi Kaushik. Thanks for the kind words.

You can use whatever brand capacitors you like with it. The large caps are not in signal path so isn't too big of a problem.

The input capacitor can be a metalized polyprop or anything exotic/expensive for a better subjective quality and longer run-life.

:)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back