Philips DVD players have no HDMI

Rupam

I was planning to buy a DVD player preferably from Philips. But after going through their models Philips - DVD Players - Sound and vision - Blu-ray and DVD I noticed that NONE of them have HDMI connectivity....:mad: I was wondering the reason for such an omission. I will be buying a LCD [32"] shortly.... Without HDMI whats the point of DVD up scaling feature which these players are boasting of?

Please suggest me DVD players with HDMI connection and USB. My budget is 5000/-. I also want to know if there is any DVD player available in the market with mkv codec support.

EDIT: PHILIPS DVP3336 DVP3356 DVP3556 BTW what the point of 3 different models of Philips DVD players with exactly same features [key difference is only in stand by power consumption and in DIMENTION. :sad: LOOK HERE Philips - DVD Players - Sound and vision - Blu-ray and DVD

Last edited:
U cud try the 5996k from philips and also latter models , all of which have Hdmi connectivity and do full upscaling to 1080P

i had 2 of the Philips DVDP which i have sold ,still have the 5996k extremly satisfied for the price i had paid , i have kept this DVDP mainly coz it can read discs that higher end Dvdp from other companies fail ,all of them did have Hdmi conectivity

I was planning to buy a DVD player preferably from Philips. But after going through their models Philips - DVD Players - Sound and vision - Blu-ray and DVD I noticed that NONE of them have HDMI connectivity....:mad: I was wondering the reason for such an omission. I will be buying a LCD [32"] shortly.... Without HDMI whats the point of DVD up scaling feature which these players are boasting of?

Please suggest me DVD players with HDMI connection and USB. My budget is 5000/-. I also want to know if there is any DVD player available in the market with mkv codec support.

EDIT: PHILIPS DVP3336 DVP3356 DVP3556 BTW what the point of 3 different models of Philips DVD players with exactly same features [key difference is only in stand by power consumption and in DIMENTION. :sad: LOOK HERE Philips - DVD Players - Sound and vision - Blu-ray and DVD

DVP 3360 has HDMI, Not sure if its available in India. Also 5996k is one of the best models if available, strange India site does not have these........

Looking at the Philips site, it appears that they are discontinuing the upscaling models and may push people towards BD players. So your best bet would be an old stock model or try some other brand.

New LG DVDp also dont have HDMI>

I recently got an LG DV492H DVD player for free when I purchased my TV. It has HDMI out along with component, analog RCA and digital optical / coaxial outs. It is supposedly an upscaling DVD player as well. I am not sure if this is sold in India though.

For a budget of 5k, you can easily pick up the Pioneer DV-420 which is a fully loaded model - HDMI out, full HD upscaling, MP3/WMA/JPG etc playback, USB port and more. Very slim and sleek design too and Pioneer players are generally very reliable players. I've got a 2002 (DV-355) and a 2005 (DV-676 Australian model) player and they're working fine.

Check out the Pioneer players. You can't go wrong.

Sony is also available. For 5,290/- the top end model DVP-NS728 is available which has all or most of the above mentioned features. Only thing is, AFAIK the Sony players are tough to make region free. Whereas it is far easier for the Philips and Pioneer players - mostly entering of codes using the remote.

---Venkat

For a budget of 5k, you can easily pick up the Pioneer DV-420 which is a fully loaded model - HDMI out, full HD upscaling, MP3/WMA/JPG etc playback, USB port and more. Very slim and sleek design too and Pioneer players are generally very reliable players. I've got a 2002 (DV-355) and a 2005 (DV-676 Australian model) player and they're working fine.

I'm concerned about their after sales service. Do Pioneer have official presence in indian DVD market?

---Venkat

Most mass market upscaling DVD players just render standard 480p / 576p images in 1080p which usually leads to poor quality & pixelated video. They do not do proper upscaling to 1080p because is more challenging to implement and only few players do it reasonably well - like Oppo, PS3 etc. And they are expensive than the mass market DVD players.

IMHO upscaling should not be a major factor that influences buying decision when purchasing mass market DVD players

DVP 3360 has HDMI, Not sure if its available in India. Also 5996k is one of the best models if available, strange India site does not have these........

I already have 5965k with 1080i upscaling. Does 3360 or 5996k have 1080p HD like WD-TV? Would it be worth spending on another Philips or any other player (Which one should I go for?) given that I have 5965k which can play almost any disk I throw at it? Is the quality difference significant shifting from 5965k to another model to play on a 104" x 58" display screen?

Basically I want a player which can play region free DVDs and has 1080p HD.

I also have a PS3 bought from Singapore which can play DVDs. Problem is it is South East Asian region coded for DVD, so wont play the 30 or so region locked DVDs I have from US and India. So is it worth the upgrade?

Last edited:
I already have 5965k with 1080i upscaling. Does 3360 or 5996k have 1080p HD like WD-TV? Would it be worth spending on another Philips or any other player (Which one should I go for?) given that I have 5965k which can play almost any disk I throw at it? Is the quality difference significant shifting from 5965k to another model to play on a 104" x 58" display screen?

Basically I want a player which can play region free DVDs and has 1080p HD.

I also have a PS3 bought from Singapore which can play DVDs. Problem is it is South East Asian region coded for DVD, so wont play the 30 or so region locked DVDs I have from US and India. So is it worth the upgrade?

From your post it is not clear whether your 5965K is region locked or region free. Assuming it is region locked, you can google and make it region free.

In any case, the differences between 1080i and 1080p may not be visible while playing normal DVDs because normal DVDs are 480i/p or 576i/p. Depending on their capabilities, upscaling DVD players just render the same video in 1080i or 1080p and some good BD players like Oppo & PS3 do a fair bit of upconversion to reduce pixelation, noise etc when converting SD video to HD video. So if your current DVD player is region free and renders 1080i, there will not be any benefit that will be worth while when you buy another mass market DVD player that does 1080p.

For region locked DVDs, you can use software such as Slysoft anyDVD to remove any Digital Rights Management (DRM), copy protection, region coding and create a copy of your DVD without these issues. Then PS3 will be able to play those DVDs.

Last edited:
Ya I made it region free ages ago. That's a lot of useful info. I don't really need to shell out any money in this case. Thanks a lot. Ya I have used anydvd and clonedvd and they are wonderful softwares but doing one disk at a time is a bit cumbersome for more often than not.

Last edited:
My one real concern - Will the PS3 blu ray disk playing ability be destroyed if I play pirated DVDs on it?

I have the Philips 3388. Bought it only 6 months or so ago. It has HDMI out, upscaling and USB input.

Here is the link :
Techtree.com India > Reviews > Basics > Specials > Philips DVD Player DVP3388 [Review]

DVP3388/94 Philips DVD player with HDMI and USB DVP3388 HDMI 1080p DivX Ultra - Philips Support

Don't know why it is not showing in their website.
Try to find it at Tata Chroma or Philips Arena.

Dear Argho,
can you share your personal experience with Philips 3388. How is the picture quality?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back