Picking the right Vinyl

Record Player

I recently acquired an Akai Direct Drive TT. I would like to get some advice on how do I pick the right Vinyl!:D

1. What does one look for when acquiring used Indian/Western Pressed LPs (Precise Steps)
2. Best practices in storing the Vinyl's at home
3. Do we have aftermarket covers for Vinyl's that don't have the original cover
4. Cleaning process of the Vinyl's (Fluid, Brush Etc)

I would also appreciate if you could recommend some places in Bangalore where I can pick some good quality LPs.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Record Player

Look for records:
1) That have no visible scratches on the surface
2) Whose surface is shiny, and not dull. Dull surface is a sign of higher usage which is always a bad thing when it comes to records.
3) Grime and dust stuck on the record is no big deal as long as points 1 and 2 above are met. One can always clean a record. Search for "zero paisa cleaning method" authored by member malvai on this forum for a cost-effective record cleaning method.
4) If inner sleeve is absent, don't buy that record. The constant rubbing of the record surfaces with the inside of the hard outer sleeve would have spoiled much of the record groove. The damage may not be visible to your eye, but 99.99% of the time it would have been damaged to the point where there is clearly audible sonic degradation. At least that has been my experience in buying lots of records.

Apart from the tips from jls001, one of the methods to check out the wear and tear of a LP is to look out for the skid-marks near the centre-hole.

Like your user name "Record Player"

1. What does one look for when acquiring used Indian/Western Pressed LPs (Precise Steps)
very simple, prefer foreign pressings, especially American and British pressings, they tend to be superior but hard to find in India. Look for a shiny surface with little or no surface scratches, check the spindle hole, if there is evident wear noticeable, avoid as the record may have seen use on a changer, again check the first track for damage (again a faulty stylus and changers tend to damage the first track). Check out for enlarged pictures of record grooves on the internet and make yourself familiar with them, get a good quality hand lens and closely examine the surface of the record before buying it. Groove damage is sometimes not visible to the naked eye. Avoid LPs that are sold without covers

2. Best practices in storing the Vinyl's at home
easy one, use an inner sleeve (new) to protect your record after the initial clean up, use an outer sleeve to protech your album cover (if your LP does not come with a cover, its a good idea to make one for yourself)

3. Do we have aftermarket covers for Vinyl's that don't have the original cover
yes, this is a good idea but an expensive one, also these have to be generally imported or custom made if sourced in India

4. Cleaning process of the Vinyl's (Fluid, Brush Etc)
there are many suggestions for this but the best bet would be to use a clean soft cotton handcerchief (without loose fibres), soaked (and squeezed to dran) in clean boiled and cooled (to luke warm) water. Place the record on a clean flat surface and wipe along the grooves in a clockwise direction. If the record is very dirty, add about a few drops of isopropyle alcohol to the warm water and mix well before using the handcerchief to clean. Avoid using water on the record label. Clean both surfaces and leave to dry (vertically). After cleaning ensure that you use a clean sleeve for the record

Which Vinyls sound better, the heavy with deep groves or the lighter one's with shallow groves?

there are some jazz records available on flipkart. most are categorised as 'imported'. but there seem to be wide discrepancy in the prices. for example take two Sonny Rollins records. Saxophone Colossus is Rs658- whereas Way Out West is Rs1573/-. both after 29% discount.
pray what could be the reason?
this is quite different from certain titles (like Kind Of Blue) which shows a 'variant' option which is higher priced and perhaps of a better quality.

there are some jazz records available on flipkart. most are categorised as 'imported'. but there seem to be wide discrepancy in the prices. for example take two Sonny Rollins records. Saxophone Colossus is Rs658- whereas Way Out West is Rs1573/-. both after 29% discount.
pray what could be the reason?
this is quite different from certain titles (like Kind Of Blue) which shows a 'variant' option which is higher priced and perhaps of a better quality.

Thanks Moktan. Ill definitely have a look.
Appreciate it :)

Thank you Reubensm, Christian Paul and Jls001 for your advice.

Appreciate you taking time off and providing valuable feedback.

There is a lot to read on Google which at times may or may not be accurate. This forum gives me expert advise like the above.

Cheers,
Record Player

Recordplayer, with regard to storage, I must also add that the records must be stored vertically in lots of say 10 or 15 (you can use spacers to ensure this). If stacked, horizontally, please do not stack more than 5-7 records per stack. When storing vertically, dont force stack as many LPs as possible, jammed into a undersize shelf. Also, never store records in the inclined position, resting against a wall, etc.

Store in a Cool, Dry Place

Jut like it says on the labels for so many different products!

Maybe, in this country, we may find "cool" a little difficult to achieve --- try to store them at an even temperature. Above all, avoid any kind of direct heat, even sunshine. A warped record is a spoiled record, and it can [almost] never be repaired.

Try to keep them dry. Mould won't really affect vinyl, but it will affect your LP covers. Same with insects: I don't think there are any vinyl-eating criturs, but termites, etc, can certainly make a meal of the covers.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back