Pioneer avr owners thread

My TV is connected to the HDMI Output of My AVR . Should i also connect another cable from TV --> AVR in the HDMI Input Source
I got that wrong as you had said "TV out" is connected to AVR in your earlier post.
You need to select the HDMI port where your source is connected. DVD, SAT/CBL, DVR, etc.
You have to go by the name of the port at the back of the AVR or in the manual. The AVR knows only that much.
It does not know what equipment you have connected to what port :D

I got that wrong as you had said "TV out" is connected to AVR in your earlier post.
You need to select the HDMI port where your source is connected. DVD, SAT/CBL, DVR, etc.
You have to go by the name of the port at the back of the AVR or in the manual. The AVR knows only that much.
It does not know what equipment you have connected to what port :D

View attachment 33812
Thanks Naturelover . I understand that . But my query is there any Theme Page which is Displayed by the AVR once we Switch On the AVR without selecting any Source Input .

Whoa, never thought of this in all these years with my Pioneer AVR :).
Just checked, I merely get a blank screen on my TV, no theme.

Just checked, I merely get a blank screen on my TV, no theme.

Let me try and help as the receiver Dinesh has was bought from me.

The theme Dinesh is probably talking about is the Pioneer logo that will float around the screen when there is no signal. I had disabled this.

Dinesh, if you have not reset the receiver, then all the fancy screen saver stuff is disabled. All you will get is a blank screen.

On the subject of inputs, let me explain, whatever shown on the display should match the terminal label behind the receiver. Selecting TV will not do anything unless you have something connected to the HDMI input behind. To my knowledge there us no HDMI input labeled TV behind the receiver.

The way I connected it or set it up in the software , Set Top Box went into CBL/SAT input behind the receiver, Blu Ray disc player into BD input. CBL/SAT is set as the pass through HDMI feed. When the receiver is in Stand By power, you can watch TV without powering on the receiver. When you turn the input selector to BD, then you can spin Blu Ray disc. I must add that you can play a Blu Ray disc without having the receiver ON (Should be in Stand By). It is possible to press BD on the remote and switch the HDMI Pass through without actually turning on the receiver. This will temporarily switch the HDMI Pass through while on Stand By from CBL/SAT to BD or any HDMI input for that matter. It won't display the selected input on the front panel as the receiver is on Standy By. However; a red lamp on the right will light up indicating a HDMI signal. This confirms HDMI is passing through.

The only time I recall seeing TV displayed on the receiver's front panel is when I play content from a hard drive connected to the TV's USB input or when streaming content from Netflix. This is audio return channel or ARC in operation. TV is automatically displayed on the receiver display panel when the receiver detects an audio feed coming from the TV. Not otherwise.

HDMI ARC needs to be set up on the TV. Most TV's do not have this set to ON by Default. Only one HDMI terminal behind the TV will support HDMI. You should connect to this from the receiver's HDMI Output terminal. With the receiver ON and TV in Stand By, when you turn On the TV, the receiver's display with show TV. This means it has detected your TV via ARC.

About HDMI and ARC. This receiver is a little slow to hand shake for ARC. If you have completely powered off the receiver from the mains supply and then you put the power back on, it takes up to 2 minutes for the receiver to hand shake or communicate with an ARC capable device. In this time, do not turn on the receiver. Off course, none of this is an issue if all your AV gear is left on stand by and never switched off at the mains, ever.

I have not re labeled any of the HDMI inputs.

No user manual was supplied with this AV receiver other than a Quick Set Guide. When I got stuck with something, I downloaded the online PDF. It helps to print this and keep handy.

Last edited:
Thanks Sandeep for your breef inputs .I have downloaded the manual online and was able to figure out many things .Still have some query on some advance features which I will come back.

In Audio & Video Parameter Menu I am finding lot of option . Pls share me those which will be useful in real time scenario .

In Audio & Video Parameter Menu I am finding lot of option . Pls share me those which will be useful in real time scenario .

Dinesh,

You sound like a novice so it is best not to fiddle with any of the parametric equalizers, gain without knowing what you are doing. Besides; I cannot tell you what works with your speakers and environment without actually being there.

It is best you re run MCACC automatic calibration, with the calibration mic set at your desired seating position (ear level) and speakers positioned where it should be.

The MCACC is surprisingly accurate and worked pretty well with my stand mount PSB speakers. You need to tweak these settings only to fine tune a certain frequency, if you feel it is not delivering the sound signature you want. It is best to do this when things are quiet around the house and not have anyone walk around the area where the speakers are located, when calibration is underway.

Turn on the sub woofer with the gain set at 50% and Phase some where in between 0 and 180. If it is a switch, leave it at 0. There is no right or wrong when it comes to phase setting. It is down to what you hear in the end based on speaker position. Flip the switch between 0 and 180 and see what sound best in relation to the sub woofer.

Don't bother with video parameters.

Dinesh,

You sound like a novice so it is best not to fiddle with any of the parametric equalizers, gain without knowing what you are doing. Besides; I cannot tell you what works with your speakers and environment without actually being there.

It is best you re run MCACC automatic calibration, with the calibration mic set at your desired seating position (ear level) and speakers positioned where it should be.

The MCACC is surprisingly accurate and worked pretty well with my stand mount PSB speakers. You need to tweak these settings only to fine tune a certain frequency, if you feel it is not delivering the sound signature you want. It is best to do this when things are quiet around the house and not have anyone walk around the area where the speakers are located, when calibration is underway.

Turn on the sub woofer with the gain set at 50% and Phase some where in between 0 and 180. If it is a switch, leave it at 0. There is no right or wrong when it comes to phase setting. It is down to what you hear in the end based on speaker position. Flip the switch between 0 and 180 and see what sound best in relation to the sub woofer.

Don't bother with video parameters.
Thanks Sandeep I did a reset of the AVR yesterday and run the MCACC .
Still I think can improve exploring the settings.

Found some really interesting Audio Settings in the Audio Parameter Menu .This may improve the Sound experience better .

I recall these sound parameters when i used the VSX520...that was almost 8 years back or so....yes it did improve the sound big time

I have a weird issue ,

My AVR is not responding to remote . Physical button in the AVR works fine but nothing works when I press the remote button.
I tried resetting my remote and AVR but nothing worked
I tried testing the remote with the camera and able to see the IR light blowing.
Today morning I tried switch on the AVR with remote and they worked fine .But in evening when I tried to power it ON with remote it dint work.
.I also changed the battery to new to clear there is no problem with battery .
Any idea on this issue .Looks like some settings.issue .

Dear All,

I am facing some issue with my Rs 33, presently my sub is not working I checked the power connection with different power socket, no result, maybe power is not coming to sub, is it related with AVR or only I need to check sub? How can I rectify this and what is the cause?

I am Mike
From Hyderabad..
A musician and a music teacher by profession.
Love listening to songs on my pioneer home theatre AVR VSX-RS320
I am a movie buff and GoT fan...
I connect my Pioneer to my Win PC through a Fiio USB DAC. >SPDIF

My pioneer is at least 6 years old
Pioneer HTP RS 33
Pioneer VSX RS 320 AVR

My issue is that my AVR keeps shutting off..I have taken it to The authorised service centre. He has changed the regulator twice and also recovered it from protection mode 4 or 5 times.
The ASC says that there is current flowing back to the AVR which is the reason, the regulator got burnt twice.

To minimise the current flow I bought the Fiio USB DAC and connected the AVR through SPDIF (earlier I was connecting it through 3.5 mm jack), but still the problem persists..

Solutions tried
1. I use a surge protector for power source, and now I have changed it to a voltage stabiliser.
2. Checked the wall power socket wiring for possible wire damage or earthing issue...but everything was perfect
3. Changed all the speaker cables to newly bought amazon basics 14 AWG speaker wire.

Kindly suggest / help with this.
I have a soft spot for Pioneer as I bought this with my first salary.

Thanks

Hello Ppl , wanted to upgrade my AVR , i currently own a yamaha A810 , looking to purchase the Pioneer LX 503 . The prices i see online vary a lot. Any one here with this AVR or know about the price ?

Do Pioneer and Paradigms match well ?

Any one using the pioneer lx 503? I read some where that it does not have individual speaker crossover settings.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back