Pioneer BDP-180

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Pioneer BDP-180 landed today, got it from ebay dealer. Played a BD disk and looks good. Is there any particular settings I have to do for converting normal dvd etc to high definition?

Did a listening session yesterday late night and I found its good with Audio as well, the mids and high's were very clear and open compared to my previous source (Lappy + Foobar)

I felt as if digging for gold was easier than finding a Blu ray player with Wifi support & Indian warranty. I mean how many people have ethernet Port planned near a television. Wifi has been there for so long now that it should have been a no-brainer to make it a standard feature.

Aah! This sounds so familiar. I bought an Oppo BDP 105 and even such an expensive player did not have in-built wifi!!! I was taking it for granted and never cared to research this feature until the box arrived with a painful surprise. I finally bought a linksys wifi extender and hooked the player to my NAS. I have not faced a single problem even while playing a 15GB movie image over an N wifi. Still not sure why such a step-brotherly treatment to something so ubiquitous.

Pioneer BDP180 Delivered today evening :), Continuous Listening Music

Musical Part
Pros
It plays any format of Audio flawlessly
Function to move the tracks in custom order(Playlist)
Mids and Hi-Freq are accurate and Bass is so punchy(Compared to my old DVD Player)
Much clarity on the Overall music.
Just a Button to turn the Display off, when we play music.

Cons
There is No Mute button :-(
There is No Volume control (Since my Amp dont have Remote, Now need to manually adjust the volume in Amp)
When we need to play music from USB, It involves much steps to go to the Source-->USB-->Then select folder\Music,It would be better If we have some buttons in the remote to choose the Audio\video\Photo etc.

Still exploring

:) Exactly, Just Press the Display button, It should be Second or third from Right top corner of the Remote.

Continuation
Pros.
1. (Video)I could easily switch between the various resolution by clicking the "HDMI" button,Though the switching is possible via Settings.Played a 720p in 1080P\I and Not bad really :).I could get pictures in Full screen.
2.(Audio)Program has option to view the property of the Track played and My Fav Shuffle option available.
3.Remote have ample features and buttons were properly placed(I.e Numbers are in the Bottom and Most of the freq used Functions are in the Middle.
4.Network connectivity is So easy (Just in a min i was able to play You tube App),There is Button for Direct You tube as well.

Cons
1.We cannot navigate in File\Folder while Film being player, When you click Menu,The control come out of the Video Playback.
2.(Audio) Some tracks are distorting :-( (Might be they are in MP3 format),Which use to sound smooth when I use to play the same track in DVD with Two points less from Full volume.(Missing Volume control again)
3.Remote is Sleek But finding difficulty operating in wider angles( Less than 40 Degree and Greater than 150 Degree is bit prob.
4.The BR\DVD\CD tray is not exact fit for CD,I just placed a CD few millimeter(just a guess) from its actual position and the CD was not detected.

Still Exploring

Last edited:
Is it supporting continues play from one folder to another while playing MP3?

:) Exactly, Just Press the Display button, It should be Second or third from Right top corner of the Remote.

Continuation
Pros.
1. (Video)I could easily switch between the various resolution by clicking the "HDMI" button,Though the switching is possible via Settings.Played a 720p in 1080P\I and Not bad really :).I could get pictures in Full screen.
2.(Audio)Program has option to view the property of the Track played and My Fav Shuffle option available.
3.Remote have ample features and buttons were properly placed(I.e Numbers are in the Bottom and Most of the freq used Functions are in the Middle.
4.Network connectivity is So easy (Just in a min i was able to play You tube App),There is Button for Direct You tube as well.

Cons
1.We cannot navigate in File\Folder while Film being player, When you click Menu,The control come out of the Video Playback.
2.(Audio) Some tracks are distorting :-( (Might be they are in MP3 format),Which use to sound smooth when I use to play the same track in DVD with Two points less from Full volume.(Missing Volume control again)
3.Remote is Sleek But finding difficulty operating in wider angles( Less than 40 Degree and Greater than 150 Degree is bit prob.
4.The BR\DVD\CD tray is not exact fit for CD,I just placed a CD few millimeter(just a guess) from its actual position and the CD was not detected.

Still Exploring

Hi, How does the player responds to the remote. Any time lag especially when you power on / power off /home gallery / play ? It is awfully slow in my Bdp450.

Regards

Hey people...

I am planning to buy this player by this Monday.. Can someone please tell me how good is the analog stereo output (DAC) with both cd disc as well as USB.

Any lag in the audio output with USB? Can you please reply?

I am going to pair it with my SONY 1050 receiver.

Aah! This sounds so familiar. I bought an Oppo BDP 105 and even such an expensive player did not have in-built wifi!!! I was taking it for granted and never cared to research this feature until the box arrived with a painful surprise. I finally bought a linksys wifi extender and hooked the player to my NAS. I have not faced a single problem even while playing a 15GB movie image over an N wifi. Still not sure why such a step-brotherly treatment to something so ubiquitous.
My LG bd 670 that i got 2 years ago had wifi and i got it in India. So it couldn't be that much of a rarity. But i agree it is pretty darn useful - you can get firmware updates automatically, play files from any devices connected to the same wifi n/w (network shares on computers show on blu ray player menu automatically)

Thank you audio freek.

The pre out is good enough for the av receivers to play audio?

Oh, I dont have AVR to comment.But some FM's could have idea.But understand that the Out for AVR should be decent as well,since they have decent Analogue Out.

Some times the Volume seems to be Low from few Movies ,Which is of Low quality.Once I gone through the forums Got to know thats nature of BDP's in general.

Ops, The Player is No Playing the MKV Files (Songs Only) But the MKV Movies are playing good.

Any Suggestion Please:-(

Did a listening session yesterday late night and I found its good with Audio as well, the mids and high's were very clear and open compared to my previous source (Lappy + Foobar)

My experience playing music was very similar :)

Source-->USB-->Then select folder\Music,It would be better If we have some buttons in the remote to choose the Audio\video\Photo etc.
Still exploring

Exactly! And imagine if you do not have a monitor/display connected!

(Video)I could easily switch between the various resolution by clicking the "HDMI" button,Though the switching is possible via Settings.Played a 720p in 1080P\I and Not bad really :).I could get pictures in Full screen.

I found this feature really cool. Helps choose optimal video resolution. A similar feature for the audio also helps with BDs.

Hi, How does the player responds to the remote. Any time lag especially when you power on / power off /home gallery / play ? It is awfully slow in my Bdp450.
Regards

Awfully slow indeed! My decade old Sony DVP-NS50P responds 4 times faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back