Pioneer BDP-180

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys ,I'm new here.... need some help to decide upon the below .....

I do own an android tv (sony x85c) and tried playing videos over the USB . Used VLC player and noticed the video quality to be awesome , only drawback is the audio quality (no surround sound) since it is sent to my AV receiver through an optical cable (from TV to AV receiver). I already have a philips bdp (basic) and found the AV quality to be pathetic.

After searching over the internet for a month, the pioneer BDP-180 and sony S7200 seem to have good ratings.

My questions are,

Has anyone tried playing through the VLC app installled over the TV ?
Could these BDPs deliver better video output to my TV over the installed VLC player (which does some processing to make the video look better) ?

Someone told me that its possible to play videos from our cellphones over DLNA, if used via BDP 180 ?

Does it make any sense here, or is it possible ?
If yes, what are the steps ?

Thanks in Advance.

Someone told me that its possible to play videos from our cellphones over DLNA, if used via BDP 180 ?

Does it make any sense here, or is it possible ?
If yes, what are the steps ?

Thanks in Advance.

You can use 'Bubble UPnP' to play any video from Cellphone through DLNA Via BDP-180. I am using it for more than a year with my android phone.

Last edited:
Hi Guys
Just thinking of buying cheapest Blue Ray player ie. SONY BDP 1500 any suggestions? ?.

I just got the Pioneer BDP 180 for 12900/-:yahoo: from Heera Panna, Mumbai.

Awesome features it has!!!

Regards,
Srijith Ramachandran

I just got the Pioneer BDP 180 for 12900/-:yahoo: from Heera Panna, Mumbai.

Awesome features it has!!!

Regards,
Srijith Ramachandran

12900 is very good deal.. is it with or without warranty??
And hope you have check it properly as the MRP is ~15k.. Specially for region code.. To run Indian Blu Ray, it has to be region C.. :D

Last edited:
Yeah Its a good deal!

Guys facing some issues..dont know if its a problem with all the BDPS.

When i source music from my Media Server. iam able to play the music, however as soon as press the return key on the remote, it takes me to the root folder and not a folder up as it should normally do..

Its fine when i do it while using the USB.

I recently purchased BDP-180.
I'm facing problem with usb playback for dolby ATMOS.The player sends bitstream output from bluray demo disc and i can hear ATMOS surround sound,
But when i play movie from usb i can't hear any sound, The reciever shows dolby atmos but no sound.I have marantz sr7010 reciever.
DTS:X movies can be played from usb HDD. the last witch hunter in DTS:X format.

Last edited:
Need one advice, getting a used pioneer bdp-180 for 9K. Wondering if in the same 9K budget should I go for this one or buy a used Sony BDP-1500 for 5K and in remaining 4K I should buy some DAC with coaxial / optical in to get better CD PLayback. Target system is Norge 2060 + Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 . The main purpose of this BDP would be to use as BDP (5%) , DVD P (40%) and CDP (55%). I do think that BDP-180 may do a better job in upscaling although the TV is a 32 inch Sony and not a 4K one. Please advice

@haisaikat: 9K seems like a lot for used. A new one used to be 12.xK.

@gurujee: the 180 is the newer version that replaced the 170. For audio CD playback I find these two models equally good on both analog output and SPDIF output. Of the two audio outputs the SPDIF is the superior output if you use any decent external DAC that accepts SPDIF coaxial. Can't comment on video performance as I never used it for video.

@haisaikat: 9K seems like a lot for used. A new one used to be 12.xK.

@gurujee: the 180 is the newer version that replaced the 170. For audio CD playback I find these two models equally good on both analog output and SPDIF output. Of the two audio outputs the SPDIF is the superior output if you use any decent external DAC that accepts SPDIF coaxial. Can't comment on video performance as I never used it for video.

Thanks Joshua, I dropped the idea of buying it. I settled finally for a sparingly used Sony BDP-S370 for half that price. I know the Pioneer could have been better for upscaling but think that at half the price I can compromise with that.

Thanks Joshua, I dropped the idea of buying it. I settled finally for a sparingly used Sony BDP-S370 for half that price. I know the Pioneer could have been better for upscaling but think that at half the price I can compromise with that.

Can I contact that user? I am interested in 180.

Can I contact that user? I am interested in 180.

Go ahead, its on olx, search for pioneer bdp you will get it. the person last came to 9,000 INR, unable to reduce it below that. you start from 7 K. But I think he is asking a lot of money for shipping to Kolkata almost 800 INR which seems a bit high to me, get that checked also.

You already have a good ODAC. For the norge wharf setup I think an amplifier upgrade will work grade.

I have the norge 1000. PC to ODAC to pass B1 to norge to wharf 10.1 improved to a great extent when I used a DIY my ref rev C kit from fm linuxguru.

BTW I have a pioneer bdp450 which is great for dvd sacd and bluray playback but slow as a media center.

Last edited:
You already have a good ODAC. For the norge wharf setup I think an amplifier upgrade will work grade.

I have the norge 1000. PC to ODAC to pass B1 to norge to wharf 10.1 improved to a great extent when I used a DIY my ref rev C kit from fm linuxguru.

BTW I have a pioneer bdp450 which is great for dvd sacd and bluray playback but slow as a media center.

The norge wharf combo is with my inlaws and ODAC is with me. They use the norge mostly with a Denon TU-460 Tuner.

Quick question - will it upscale DVD's to full HD? Thinking of an upgrade and this is a serious candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back