Pioneer DV 610 -From Grey Market Mumbai ( Alfa)

hemantwaghe

Banned
Banned
Hi
I bought pioneer 610 from Alfa ,Irla ile parle @ Rs 6450
It is silver in colour ,the sales person told me that Black is not available.
It appeared to be a popular player ,as I asked for boxed peace and salesperon called " godown" ,first answer was " sorry not available as we sold 3 Pieces from morning!"
But fortunatly 1 last piece was available.
They give you a mini demo - basically on SD on composite connectors.
ONE VERY GOOD THING IS THAT IT WAS REGION FREE ( REGION MENTIONED ON BOX WAS 3) To check that the sales guy tested it with 2 different region CDs! ( Smart) in front of me. In fact I did not asked for it.
I am yet to check PQ & SQ so I'll post results soon.
But first cut observation is that the solid , metallic construction feel.
Also it is of very few players with S video out - may help if I acquire data projector.

Also In alfa a HDMI Cable was available for Rs 300 and Another MX cable was there with Gold plated connectors and Satin like outer cover @ Rs 530. MX cables packing was too good ( Big black gift box with satin lining).So I bought these cables.

So In all Pioneer DVd 610 + HDMI Cable with gold plated connectors @ Rs 7000
I Think it is a decent deal.
I'll post regarding Image & Sound quality soon

Congrates ,wld like to know abt upscaler.
Does alpha sale AVR & Other HT products?
I have been there only once.very crowded place.

Hi Hemant,

Please do post on your experience with the 610. I am specifically looking to buy one initially for Stereo Music and later use it to watch DVD's. I know its great VFM for DVD Video, hence, even if it's somewhat better than the usual LG's and Philips in Audio playback, it would be worth it.

Hi Hemant,

Please do post on your experience with the 610. I am specifically looking to buy one initially for Stereo Music and later use it to watch DVD's. I know its great VFM for DVD Video, hence, even if it's somewhat better than the usual LG's and Philips in Audio playback, it would be worth it.

I have purchased 610. Build quality is great the best i have seen compared to the dvd's i owned in the past which are filmsy with slim load tray.

Picture quality is good, USB works great. there is no vol + & - feature in the player. CD sounds good. i have been palying 5.1 tracks and its great. inbuilt decoder sounds good. Anyday better than philips, samsung and LG.

Thanks,
Prakash

I have purchased 610. Build quality is great the best i have seen compared to the dvd's i owned in the past which are filmsy with slim load tray.

Picture quality is good, USB works great. there is no vol + & - feature in the player. CD sounds good. i have been palying 5.1 tracks and its great. inbuilt decoder sounds good. Anyday better than philips, samsung and LG.

Thanks,
Prakash

Hi Prakash,

What have you paired the 610 with? It would be useful if you could also mention the make of your Amp and Speakers if possible.

Hi Prakash,

What have you paired the 610 with? It would be useful if you could also mention the make of your Amp and Speakers if possible.

No hi fi gear. Just combined 610 with creative Inspire 5.1 speakers. room size is 10*10.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Hi
It appeared to be a popular player ,as I asked for boxed peace and salesperon called " godown" ,first answer was " sorry not available as we sold 3 Pieces from morning!"
ONE VERY GOOD THING IS THAT IT WAS REGION FREE ( REGION MENTIONED ON BOX WAS 3) To check that the sales guy tested it with 2 different region CDs! ( Smart) in front of me. In fact I did not asked for it.
Also it is of very few players with S video out - may help if I acquire data projector.
Also In alfa a HDMI Cable was available for Rs 300 and Another MX cable was there with Gold plated connectors and Satin like outer cover @ Rs 530. MX cables packing was too good ( Big black gift box with satin lining).So I bought these cables.

Congatulations on your good deal! will await your performance results after you have thoroughly run it at home. Do check if it can record from dish tv/tata sky either direct or via AV cable output from TV? will you? rgds/pradeep

Thx for great post
Iwent to alfa on sunday
got same model for 6400/-
& HDMI for 500/-
picture quality is superb
Currently i am pairing it with my onkyo TX-SR304 with Samsung LA40A550
Great picture with superb upscaling
Will try to post snapshots if possible

I got the Pioneer 610 from Soundout Heera panna, today for 6600/-.
The pics appear sharper when i palyed a DVD through it for the first time in it.

Will explore more and update on the findings !

Hi

Planning to buy DV 610 and was going through the manual. It states Video o/p for HDMI as below -

HDMI Resolution 1920x1080p Set if your TV supports 1920x1080 pixel
progressive - scan video (24 Hz frame rate is not supported).

I have Bravia Full HD (KLV-40V550A) with following specs for HDMI (1-4) -

Video Signal
480/60i, 480/60p, 576/50i, 576/50p, 720/50p, 720/60p, 1080/50i, 1080/60i, 1080/24p (HDMI), 1080/50p (HDMI / Component), 1080/60p (HDMI / Component

1. As I am a novice, can any one let me know what difference non support of 24 Hz frame will make to my LCD resolution ?

2. Do we really see noticeable difference of upscaling of SD DVDs ? The other day I saw Sony DVD player connected through HDMI with upscaling feature but could not see visible difference.

Thanks in advance...

1. 24/p is actual framerate at which movie is recorded & played in Theatre.
When converted to DVD,framerate increased to 30/s which is supported by TV.
new LCD can play 24p/s

2.HDMi upscaling depends on chip used within,Pio610 use better chip to upscale,so can produce better & stable PQ.

1. 24/p is actual framerate at which movie is recorded & played in Theatre.
When converted to DVD,framerate increased to 30/s which is supported by TV.
new LCD can play 24p/s

So can I assume that SD DVDs willl played smoothly after upsacling to 1080p on my LCD panel or it will scale down to 1080i or 720p?
Also by any chance does Full HD does upscaling on its own for SD signals ?

Pardon my ignorance plz ...!

Congrats to all who purchased Pio 610.

I have had this player for the past one month and it's PQ and SQ are awesome. I am still experimenting with it.

Was any one able to run DIvx/Xvid file supporting 5.1 sound using USB. I converted a DVD Rip MP4 file to Xvid with 5.1. Video becomes sluggish (jerky frames) and no proper sound.

If anyone has done it correctly please share their method and experiences.

I was able to play VOB files but it's tricky and inconsistent.

Thanks
zorro

So can I assume that SD DVDs willl played smoothly after upsacling to 1080p on my LCD panel or it will scale down to 1080i or 720p?
Also by any chance does Full HD does upscaling on its own for SD signals ?

Pardon my ignorance plz ...!

SD DVD can play smoothly on HD display & many has reported same on forum.
24p is for bluray mov only & not with DVDp.

If your doesnt upscale,TVs buiti in scaler will do the job ,but it may look dull.Ideally DVDp are better upscaler.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back