Pioneer SW-8 vs BIC F12

gazal

I bought the pioneer sp-pk51fs package which included the sw-8 subwoofer. I'm extremely satisfied with the speakers in general. But from time to time I do notice that the subwoofer is struggling while playing some movies.

I knew a small 8" subwoofer wasn't exactly gonna turn my place upside down. It does handle music pretty well. But the LFE channel on movies is probably a lot of work on a subwoofer and it does seem to distort just a bit.

I'm wondering if I should perhaps get a more powerful sub. I hear that the BIC F12 is a VFM subwoofer. Its listed on ebay.in (Bic-Home Audio/video F12 BIC 12IN 450W SUB FRONT- FRONT(Rs. 17,295)) for ~17k.

Would it be worth it to go with the BIC?

I too was eyeing this one. But the page you listed mentions that the seller doesnt ship internationally. There are forum members who've ordered from them and in the end gotten their money refunded because they dont ship internationally. So dont buy it from this seller.

Besides, if you're buying from US, you need to check what voltage the device supports. If it only supports 110V, you have to spend additional 4-5K in a step down transformer.

But its listed as a global easybuy option. Thought that meant they ship internationally. If they don't then I suppose I have to look for another way to get it.

In any case about input voltage, the SW-8 runs on 110V, as does my receiver, so I've a transformer for the two. But HFV members have been able to adjust a jumper in the BIC F12 to use it with 220V input.

I think the jumper is present because BIC doesn't sell in many markets where 220V input is required. So I suppose they are trying to cut complications in making two models for the different markets. Bottom line: win-win for the consumer. Wish all AV equipment was made this way.

Yeah. I too came to know about the Jumper!

One way out is to order on Amazon and use a freight forwarding service like hopshopgo or ishopinternational or shopandship. Amazon price as of now is 187$, so with taxes etc. it should come to about 210$

But shipping that'll cost a BOMB considering that the package weighs about 20 KG.

I'd say the price comes to somewhere about 25K-27K. In that kind of money, you can get a decent sub here in India - so the purpose is defeated.

At-least that's my line of thought - and I'm looking to buy a sub too...

You guys may check with seller before placing an order for F12 sub. There are some sellers who keep the money for some time saying 'No stock' and refund after 30-40 days. Beware of them.

Siva

The major reason I was considering the BIC was that it seemed like a really VFM option. Quite a let down that it cannot be sourced cost effectively here.

You guys think there's a ~20-25k sub that's really worth trying to upgrade from my pioneer sw-8? Anyone who's heard the sw-8 perhaps?

@tanmayj: are you saying the PDR-100 is available locally in mumbai? audition?

@tanmayj: are you saying the PDR-100 is available locally in mumbai? audition?

Yup.

Just returned after auditioning it with an Onkyo 515 and Polk TSi 400 Floorstanders at 'The Shop, next to The Club Entrance, D.N Nagar, Andheri W, Mumbai'. Google 'The Shop D.N Nagar' for the exact address and phone no.

MRP is 22500.

Listened to it with music - a track called 'Punjab' by Karunesh. Rocked the house! I also auditioned the PSW 110 from Polk, but that was distinctly underpowered compared to the PDR 100.

I intend to listen to Velodyne Impact 10 when I get the chance.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back