Placement of Subwoofer (beneath a table)

nitish

Hi Guys,

This may sound like a stupid question, but all the same I dare to ask.

Can I place a subwoofer beneath a table that is slightly bigger in size than the sub?

I have a down firing Subwoofer JBL-PB12. The sub is right now placed at the "sweet spot" after good trial and error by the JBL people. I need to make a few furniture re-arrangements in my room now, and I am contemplating placing a small table over this sub.
1. I will not move the sub from its original place.
2. The table will not be in contact with the sub from any side or the top. Also it will be an open table with four legs. I intend to get the table made as per my size. Unfortunately I cannot simulate what the sound would be like.
If you guys think that it is a bad idea I will drop the plan.

Please advise

Last edited:
it should not have any adverse impact unless some part of the table get a resonant frequency with any of the frequencies in the sub.
anyway even if it occurs, it should be easily "cured" by keeping some heavy book(s) on the table

one thing you can try is that your table's bottom is as high as space under your downfiring sub. Just a random thought not mathematically verified (I can't anyways)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back