Planning my HT Room

I need a few more weeks too. In the meantime, I will read this article about sound treatment. Looks interesting.

Spent some time today and according to the article my requirement is about 1/3rd of what I had projected earlier. From around 250 sft its come down to 80sft and this includes some buffer.
Now I dont need to worry on putting in lots of money into acoustic treatment :).
The carpenters gonna be here on Monday to start work on some paneling and at the end of it will do the Anutone boards. Apart from George anyone else needs the anutone boards in the next 2-3 weeks?
Now my main concern is the screen and have decided to paint the wall, so if all goes well my HT should start screening movies by May 1st week.

Can your guys do the Anutone panelling fixing for me too?

Thaks

George

Spent some time today and according to the article my requirement is about 1/3rd of what I had projected earlier. From around 250 sft its come down to 80sft and this includes some buffer.
Now I dont need to worry on putting in lots of money into acoustic treatment :).
The carpenters gonna be here on Monday to start work on some paneling and at the end of it will do the Anutone boards. Apart from George anyone else needs the anutone boards in the next 2-3 weeks?
Now my main concern is the screen and have decided to paint the wall, so if all goes well my HT should start screening movies by May 1st week.

a quick update on my room build.

1. False ceiling work is almost over, except for some light fittings. will be done in a day. Total cost of false ceiling for 17.5" X 14.5" came to about Rs. 23k. This is inclusive of Anutone tiles, all related fittings and labor charges.

1. Decided to go for painted wall for screen as of now. I'm not so sure about the size that i will like. Hence, this will allow me to experiment and decide before I go for something like Panoview.

2. electrical work will be completed in a week.

3. Painting work will start this week. Planning to finish one coat and go for A/C work before the final coat.

4. I have started shopping in the market for AC. Hitachi and Daikin are the current options. Considering the long term, inclined towards Daikin, though it is a bit expensive. looking for some suggestions here.

I got tired of waiting for a reply from owen corning rep in India. So, I contacted Twiga on Friday late in the afternoon. They sent me a sample and some literature which I received on Saturday. The information was light on NRC. It mentioned something about NRC being 0.9-1. The sample rigid board seem ok and does not seem to flake. They seem to have multiple choices for facing though I am not sure which one to select. Does anyone know?
So, instead of Anutone tiles for wall panels, using the rigid fiberglass board is an option. The guy on the phone said it would cost around Rs 250/sq.mtr. (around Rs 23-25 per sq. ft). Now I need to find a carpenter to do the panel work. The hunt continues.
I may still do the ceiling with Anutone tiles as it is easier and finish may be better. Hopefully the guy who installs the ceiling can make the panel too. Let us see.
BTW, the basstraps article was excellent.

Raj,
Yes Owens Corning guys are not bothered. I even called their office in Mumbai and the sales guys after listening to me politely asked me send a mail, and the same result as you.

Twiga is a nice option and is also cheaper than Anutone. What is the thickness they have? We could use 2" for the wall and probably two or three of them sandwiched to form bass traps for the corners.

I did come across a DIY article using OC and we should be able to apply the same concept to Twiga as well.
_M

Raj,
Yes Owens Corning guys are not bothered. I even called their office in Mumbai and the sales guys after listening to me politely asked me send a mail, and the same result as you.

Twiga is a nice option and is also cheaper than Anutone. What is the thickness they have? We could use 2" for the wall and probably two or three of them sandwiched to form bass traps for the corners.

I did come across a DIY article using OC and we should be able to apply the same concept to Twiga as well.
_M

I got a sample that is 50mm thick (2" ). I think they have 25mm and >50mm boards too.

Making a panel using the Twiga sheet shouldn't be that difficult. I plan to give it a try this week using the video on page 8.
For the front cloth use jute cloth which should be very easily available. In the US they call this burlap and most acoustic treatment sites talk about this.
Will give it a try this week if I get time.
-Manish

Hey guys

Why did this thread stop abruptly in end March ? The movie was just reaching the climax, when it ended :) Please provide updates on did you finish your set ups, did you use anutone eventually, which model, for how much, covering what area and other learnings so that souls like me on the verge of taking the plunge can decide

Thanks
Manish

No. I had an unexpected crisis in the family and got completely overwhelmed for about 6 weeks. I just didnt have either the energy or the motivation to follow up on this. I am going to the US next Monday night and will only restart work after I return.

George

Updates from my side:

1. False ceiling is done using anutone black tiles.
2. Completed a screen by painting the wall (about 120 inches sized). I have used Asian Paints Ultima white (left over I had:D). It is working fine. I will be trying with Jotun Gold paint after some time..
3. On equipment side: completed partial setup with projector, BDP, AVR, front speakers. Waiting for rear, center and subwoofer to be delivered. Looks like they will arrive in a week's time.

Once I get all the speakers, I will complete the setup and wait for the rainy season to get over before I start on acoustic treatment of walls. with the kind of rains we get in Mangalore, it is not worth the risk of any panel work to be done in that season. I will try to post a few pictures once I have all the speakers in place.

I was outside the country for a month and came back 10 days ago. Just catching up on a lot of stuff. So, no progress on the HT front yet.
I am going to talk to a carpenter in the next week or so and try to get him to build the acoustic wall panels with twiga fiber board. Then I will pursue on putting up the false ceiling with anutone boards.
I will keep everyone updated once I make some progress.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back