Planning my HT Room

Venkat,
Thanks for the info on Owens Corning. Did the reseller also talk about rigid sheets or only roll? The rigid sheets would be easier to work with. Please pass on the details to me. I want to give it a shot.
-Manish

Guys, I reviewed the current status of my HT room yesterday. It looks like it will certainly take another 3 weeks to complete. In the meantime, I'm on travel for 2 weeks. So, I'm expecting my room to be ready only by mid-April. By then, I should have the false ceiling done and all exquipments should be in place. I would like to setup and run once before starting the wall cladding. So, it is certainly not before April 15th for me..

I will be interested to know which board and what price you guys are finalizing.. My preference is to get finished boards so that I have less work to do...

Manish, about plotting first reflection points, search on our forum, you will find a post by venkatcr where he has described the mirror trick in detail with a picture. Post #3 on this thread is what I found when I searched:
Yes thats the info I was looking at + there are loads of information on other forums. As of now I am inclined towards Owens Corning and just targeting the reflection points. Lets see how it goes.
_M

Just curious, why you are inclined towards Owens Corning and not Twiga?

Spec Sheet for Owens Corning 700 Series:
http://owenscorning.com/comminsul/documents/Fiberglas700Series.pdf

Whichever you choose, remember not to go with the one that has aluminium backing. Apart from lesser absorption, it also weakens your Home Wi-fi signal around that area.

Just FYI, the rigid boards are not only relatively rigid when compared to rolls. They are brittle, will flake during cutting and no where as rigid as the wood wool boards (Anutone, Vinardex etc).

Whichever you choose, remember not to go with the one that has aluminium backing. Apart from lesser absorption, it also weakens your Home Wi-fi signal around that area.

Yes there are two options in 700 series in OC, 703 which is what I am looking at and 705 which has the AL backing. The only reason for opting for this is that most DIY sites are filled with info on this and me having no other source of info dont want to experiment with Twiga, unless folks here have an opinion on this. :) If availability in BLR is an issue I might settle for Twiga.
_M

in case if you are not aware, Praveen (Anutone) is back in Bangalore. you can contact him for the wall panel needs.

He called me a couple of minutes back to check whether i got my ceiling tiles (he had travelled to US just after processing my order). So, no wonder I'm happy with his service:D Obviously, he wanted to check about wall panels too. It feels so nice when someone follows up to check the last order and ask about next steps:yahoo:

Raj, during my HT build, I came across a shop on Commerical Street which does fantastic prints (mostly floral or ethnic) on Poly-silk for curtains mainly. Shop is on the left hand side much before Westside and is on the first floor. The shop-owner is a young chap and is very open to new ideas. He gave me an offer wherein he would design some curtains for me in any waste cut pieces. I considered some prints at that time but finally bought real raw silk from Mysore Silk Udyog since raw silk was less shinier which is good for absorption.

EDIT: There is one more shop next to Bhagatram which also does prints, but I found it to be more expensive
Santosh
What kind of shop is this? A curtain shop? How do I identify this place? Do you remember the name? Thanks for the info.

Santosh
What kind of shop is this? A curtain shop? How do I identify this place? Do you remember the name? Thanks for the info.

Yup, it is a curtain\interiors shop. It is on the left hand side of Comm Street. It is easy to find if you pay attention to the shop decorations. It is after the "Global Access" mobile shop which is at the corner of the first junction. If you reach westside, you have gone too far. Sorry, don't remember the name though. Will try and get the name if I go there before you.

mt HT room requires about 35 rft of Anutone and since i am planning to install it to about 3 ft height I will take about 100-105 sft of it. I will measure it more accurately before we get the group requirement in place, but the figure is reasonably correct.

I will measure the carpet area and post my requirement. I understand that having an underlay for carpet extends the life of the carpet very significantly-any ideas?

George

Yup, it is a curtain\interiors shop. It is on the left hand side of Comm Street. It is easy to find if you pay attention to the shop decorations. It is after the "Global Access" mobile shop which is at the corner of the first junction. If you reach westside, you have gone too far. Sorry, don't remember the name though. Will try and get the name if I go there before you.

I went to Comm. St today. I found the shop on the left and it is called Drapes Galore. I went to the other shop (next to Bagatram). I also went to Innovations (off of Comm St) and another one called Zara (this one is in front of the police station). Of these Zara had the best prints, IMO. The prices in these shops vary from 25 to 75 Rs per sqft. The material is silk or poly silk. Most of them have 48" width. Very few have 118" width.
But nobody does custom print. You have to take whatever they have in stock.

Did anyone of you finalize the acoustic material. I have tried various hardware stores for Owens Corning fiberglass sheet but no luck yet. Guess I will have to settle for Anutone.

Govind, Raj, George, Venkat have you guys already ordered the stuff?

_M

I went to Comm. St today. I found the shop on the left and it is called Drapes Galore. I went to the other shop (next to Bagatram). I also went to Innovations (off of Comm St) and another one called Zara (this one is in front of the police station). Of these Zara had the best prints, IMO. The prices in these shops vary from 25 to 75 Rs per sqft. The material is silk or poly silk. Most of them have 48" width. Very few have 118" width.
But nobody does custom print. You have to take whatever they have in stock.
Raj, don't know how I missed your post. If you are using Anutone board (2ft x 4 ft), buy 54 inch panna (local term for width) as you will have lesser wastage. try Mysore Silk Udyog, they stock 54 inch and rarely 118 inch as well.

I will take a few more weeks, guys, for the wall panels..

pretty busy with work and some work related travel and some family functions...

as of now, electrical and false ceiling work will get completed by end of next week, I guess. Planning to install things once after that. but, unable to get the panoview screen...

Manish, when you say only the reflection points, is it just the two areas on left and right walls? This will be fine for stereo listening alone but for a Home Theater, you will have many more relfection points to address.

After hunting the net finally came across this article from Ethan Winer. Going by what he says I can cut down my acoustic treatment area considerably.
RealTraps - How To Set Up a Room

Hopefully will get time this weekend to read in detail and understand this. Hope this helps others looking for acoustic treatment for their HT
-M

Last edited:
Interesting-I will read it it a little more carefully when I have time, but it does look as if the amt of business Anutone will get from me is reduced!

George

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back